CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:00 AM   #21
Kris Murphy

Profile:
Re: selling supplements out of CF box??

Worry much? No probably not. But the stuff you get packed at non USDA approved processors is only for personal consumption and will say NOT FOR RESALE on it. If he's reselling it, he's breaking the law. I don't believe there are any task forces that will knock down your door for selling it but just know what you're getting into.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:14 PM   #22
Jesse Gray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Murphy View Post
Worry much? No probably not. But the stuff you get packed at non USDA approved processors is only for personal consumption and will say NOT FOR RESALE on it. If he's reselling it, he's breaking the law. I don't believe there are any task forces that will knock down your door for selling it but just know what you're getting into.
His packaging doesn't have any thing on it, he does it himself at his ranch. this really isn't that unusual. We have a big farmer's market here and not much of that stuff is USDA approved and it's all legal.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:18 PM   #23
Matt Thacker

Profile:

Not an attorney but the civil/criminal liability for selling non-usda approved meat would not be a risk I would personally take. Regardless of the likelyhood of the USDA commandos raiding your compound, non-inspected meat is illegal and serious consequences could follow. When considering an illegal idea, I always consider how it would look when placed on signage.

Crossfit XXXXXXX: Your source for illegal meats! Come here for you daily WOD and the risk of Mad Cow Disease!

You could consider adding a crazy cow along with your Rhabdo the clown pics.

Tempting as it may sound to try to fly under-the-radar, all of your hard work in training people could be negated by a minor mistake especially when you attempt to thwart the controls the govenment puts in place to protect our food system.

Bottom line civil liabilty is a MF.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:54 AM   #24
Jesse Gray

Profile:

Well, I just did a bit of research and here in Davis, Ca at least, it appears to be perfectly legal to sell "Non-Certifiable Agricultural Products: Agricultural products that are not certified." This
category of products includes but is not limited to: wine, worms, fish, aquaculture, livestock,
poultry, dried fruits and vegetables, and processed agricultural products such as nuts, oils, nut
butters, jams, pickles and smoked products." if you are an "Agricultural Producer or Producer: A person or entity who produces agricultural products by
the practice of the agricultural arts upon land which the person or entity controls."

From what I can tell, there is a code in California's state law that allows "direct marketing" or selling stuff you grew or raised without having to go through the same regulations Harris ranch does.

California Code of Regulations, Title 3, section 1392 et seq. on Direct
Marketing. See also Cal. Food & Ag. Code 47000 et seq.

I recommend anyone who wants to sell their own meat research your local laws.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:24 AM   #25
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Gray View Post
Here in Davis, the owner of the local indoor climbing gym (Rocknasium) sells organic grass fed beef from cattle he raises and slaughters himself. He doesn't have a special license or anything and since it's on a small scale I think it flies under the radar pretty well. I think if you're selling small amounts of pre-packaged food items you probably don't need to worry much.
Until you get caught. There's something's I'd toe the line with, selling meat that I make myself, is not one of them. It only take one person to "think" they got even alittle sick from your stuff, whether true or not, and then you are in the middle of their radar.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:41 AM   #26
Matt Thacker

Profile:

Jesse,
You are wrong in the case of meat sold to the public. You can sale livestock but not meat. I am also wrong. Why am I arguing Ca met law over the Internet?

:stir:

Matt

Quote:
Well, I just did a bit of research and here in Davis, Ca at least, it appears to be perfectly legal to sell "Non-Certifiable Agricultural Products: Agricultural products that are not certified." This
category of products includes but is not limited to: wine, worms, fish, aquaculture, livestock,
poultry, dried fruits and vegetables, and processed agricultural products such as nuts, oils, nut
butters, jams, pickles and smoked products." if you are an "Agricultural Producer or Producer: A person or entity who produces agricultural products by
the practice of the agricultural arts upon land which the person or entity controls."

From what I can tell, there is a code in California's state law that allows "direct marketing" or selling stuff you grew or raised without having to go through the same regulations Harris ranch does.

California Code of Regulations, Title 3, section 1392 et seq. on Direct
Marketing. See also Cal. Food & Ag. Code 47000 et seq.

I recommend anyone who wants to sell their own meat research your local laws.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:42 AM   #27
Kris Murphy

Profile:

Quote:
This
I hate to beat a dead horse (or cow) but nowhere in there does it say processed meat. Livestock and smoked products are not the same as cut and processed hamburger, steaks, roasts, etc. Livestock is the animal, not the meat. That's why I said you can sell parts of the cow (1/4, half, etc) but to sell the finished, processed, packaged meat it must be processed by a USDA approved facility.

Last edited by Kris Murphy : 04-17-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:46 AM   #28
Tom Reyes

Profile:

Crossfit Clackamas, now that's just fun to say five times fast. Brings a smile to my face
Old 04-17-2010, 12:53 PM   #29
Kris Murphy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Reyes View Post
Crossfit Clackamas, now that's just fun to say five times fast. Brings a smile to my face
LOL it's a bear to work into cool slogans though.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:34 PM   #30
Thomas Green

Profile:

Isn't the whole crossfit philosophy very anti-supplement by nature?