CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:40 AM   #1
Mike Miner

Profile:
Exclamation SME's "Louie Simmons"

Has anyone seen the Movie Bigger Stronger Faster.
If not Google it, if you have netflix watch it online. Get to about minute 45 and you willl see mr Simmons. Im not really sure if this a person who should be used by crossfit, it seems to me he advocates using steroids. maybe I misinterpreted his comments if so I apologize. I was just wondering if anyone else had seen this. Please If i am incorrect let me know, as I do not want to spread lies and rumors. But Crossfit is about doing things the Natural way, and this seems counter intuitive. thanks.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:51 AM   #2
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:
Re: SME's "Louie Simmons"

He's also about the most respected get people stronger coach out there, natural or otherwise. It's a compromise. But he knows his stuff. If you research him you'll see this.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:58 AM   #3
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

There is no confusion, Louie advocates the intelligent use of some steroids.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:02 AM   #4
Adam Acosta

Profile:

It might be the overwhelming opinion of the community at large, but I don't think I've seen any official word that CrossFit is about doing things the "natural" way. It's about optimizing performance and doing what works. Hell, the rest day posts the last two cycles really seem to have been emphasizing the need to not take unyielding positions and to be open-minded about how best to achieve fitness goals.

There's no doubt that what Louie does has worked for him.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:11 AM   #5
Eric Lester

Profile:

His advocation of steroids for certain uses does not negate his enormous knowledge of strength training and his success training lots of strong people.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:00 PM   #6
Evan Anderson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Miner View Post
But Crossfit is about doing things the Natural way, and this seems counter intuitive. thanks.
Is that some sort of official stance? That would seem counter intuitive after seeing all the pictures of their female games participants.

Also, if Crossfit fancies itself some sort of sport, pharmaceuticals are part and partial in all the highest levels of sport. If this is news to you, sorry.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:46 PM   #7
Tony Black

Profile:

Louie does advocate the use - but im not sure if it translates into CF advocating....

Afterall they did do testing at the last games - and somehow the current crop of winners dont really strike me as users.... <= hey all opinions and guess work.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:56 PM   #8
Craig Massey

Profile:

One of the best takes I've seen on this is that I'd rather hear from some who really knows his stuff and tells you that he Uses than wreck myself trying to emulate his training methods verbatim Naturally. Or even worse, wreck myself emulating a User who doesn't know what he's talking about.

Lots of us are walking wounded from following the training techniques used by supposedly natural bodybybuilders in our youth. Louie knows how to get results and if we know that he achieves them with some pharmaceutical assistance then we can make appropriate choices as to how we use his methods.

I don't see it as a moral choice, it's one of who has the best information and Louie is pretty hard to beat in his field.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:39 PM   #9
Jason Ashman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Tony Budding to Louis Simmons
"We're not here because you've been doing our stuff. We're here because you've been so successful in your stuff, and we think we think that we have a lot to learn from you."
Loius Simmons is a Powerlifting god, both for tested and non-tested competitors. He trains athletes outside of powerlifting, including tested athletes and people competing at the top levels of their sport.

In non-tested competitions, steroids are rampant, and for good reason; These events aren't about how much men can lift naturally, but rather how much they can lift PERIOD. Louis is known for the men he trains that break records, but no one I've ever talked to that has dealt with Simmons has ever said "The only reason Westside's methods are so good and his guys so strong is because they take steroids".

They say Westside is the best because Louis Simmons is a helluva trainer, and a man who knows what it takes to make men into insanely strong monsters, steroids or not. I seemed to have missed the memo detailing how a Westside-trained guy sporting a 700 squat, 600 dead, or 500 bench and NOT taking steroids is considered weak.

I'll refer all the folks to the quote above, and pose one simple question to you; You say Crossfit shouldn't perhaps be associated with someone who advocates steroids, and, from a purely PR/business perspective, I tend to agree with you. However, I ask you this:

Does Louis Simmons endorse what you do??

Does Louis Simmons even endorse Crossfit?? Does he even agree with its methods? Does he even care whether or not Crossfit exists??

My guess is no- he has more pressing issues, most of which involves dudes lifting HUGE weight. He gets to school some folks on his strength methods, which he obviously loves to do. The rest is just details.

However, it doesn't matter either way- Simmons is a powerlifting god; That fact ALONE makes it worthwhile for him to be here, and a privilege for us to have access to his methods and his thinking. Show the man some respect.

Crossfit came to Simmons to learn from the best, and- just as he said- to diversify its exercise portfolio for top-tier strength exercises, which is something the man is more capable of doing than perhaps any coach on the planet. Its an honor to hear the guy speak, in much the same way that its an honor to hear Rip, Tucker, Burg, or most of the other SMEs- past and present- lecture. They're tops in their fields. Stop whining about him following what is common practice in that realm of competition and actually being open about it, and actually LEARN SOMETHING from the man.

Last edited by Jason Ashman : 01-12-2010 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Semantics
Old 01-12-2010, 04:58 PM   #10
Chris Mason

Profile:

Jason makes a lot of good points.