CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 10-15-2009, 04:30 PM   #1
Jeremy R Johnson

Profile:
Thanks, Coach!

Over the last year I was a subject in a study on the effects of exercise on re-innervation of diabetics. This happened at the same time I was discharged from the military for being diabetic, which crushed my career plans. Despite being part of the World Class Athlete program (rugby) I was considered unfit to serve. It made me mad, as I was approved to affiliate before being called to active duty and had to put that on hold.

For only the past six weeks I began doing Crossfit in earnest after rehabbing nagging shoulder and ankle injuries. I just did the concluding tests for the study today. The results from only six weeks of Crossfit were astounding.

Methods:
AS prescribed for the study (NOTE: THIS IS NOT MY CROSSFIT WORKOUT, NO FLAMES ABOUT IT!), every Tuesday and Thursday for the past year I did the following:
  1. 50 min of cardio on the eliiptical, treadmill, or bike
  2. 3x15 sets of arm curls, shoulder press, cable rows, and tricep extensions
  3. Lower body strength training on an eccentron http://www.eccentron.com/ (wfs)

Results:
My progression was normal for the first six months. Today I had the following results:

3-second leg extension force (quad strength): R-leg 1145 newtons L-leg 1090 newtons. The tech helping me said he wanted to take a picture because nobody had ever scored of 1100 before in the years he's been working there.

Leg press (power): This was done on a contraption where you push as fast and hard as possible, like a kung fu kick. R-leg 531.9 watts L-leg 558.1 watts. Again, both levels unseen before at this facility.

I don't know how these levels compare against the general population, or the Crossfit population, but the staff were blown away by the output. I got in a discussion with one of them about

1-rep max strength: DID NOT DO! I could easily do 3x15 sets with all of the weight they had for all four of the lifts (arm curls, shoulder press, cable rows, and tricep extensions.) Even better, MY RESULTS DID NOT FIT THE REGRESSION! I was such an outlier, they didn't even do the lifts at my final visit because they couldn't establish a true 1rm. They can't conceive that I developed that much strength on their program, and concluded that I should not have been in the study.

I just wanted to say thanks, because this is all Crossfit. (I didn't do their workout over the final 6 weeks, just to be sure.) I know look forward to getting back in the box, and my affiliate application will be resubmitted within the month.

Thanks for the program. I look forward to getting in the game.