CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:40 PM   #1
Matt Halmy

Profile:
RRG in Garages

I understand that the RRG will protect the instruction and advice of a certified instructor, as well as the general liability issues (slip and fall) of a box; but how does it deal with the risk involved in using equipment?

For example, every box/garage, for the most part, designs and implements their own pull-up system. Lets say I make a pull up system in my garage, its well built, but under a freak occurrence of physics it comes down and hurts someone. What about homemade wall balls, made as Rx'd on the homepage? Parallettes??

In my humble opinion, the greatest risk of an actual law suit occurring would be from a random freak accident, not from someone falling over, or from someone hurting their back trying to accomplish a goal of their own.

How does the RRG deal with the abundant variations in peoples set ups and their equipment? Especially in the garage setting where creativity and inventiveness are the norm.

Thanks in advance to all who have specific knowledge on this topic (hope HQ is reading this)

--Matt

Last edited by Matt Halmy : 09-08-2009 at 04:42 PM. Reason: comprehension
Old 09-08-2009, 09:01 PM   #2
Matt Charney

Profile:
Re: RRG in Garages

I believe the RRG is for the rabdo and things that your regular policy doesn't cover. The general liability is you regular policy. I am very interested to hear more specifics since I just affiliated as a garage gym. My insurance is through Nexo who will be writing the RRG policy, they are aware that it is a CrossFit garage affiliate. I didn't ask your specific questions but I might copy and paste into an email depending on the responses over the next couple days.

Matt
Old 09-08-2009, 11:42 PM   #3
Matt Halmy

Profile:

I would really appreciate that...I just read the RRG article in the journal again and I noticed this
"In addition to the specific coverage of the RRG for the
non-standard claims, you will also be able to purchase
your standard general liability insurance through
the insurance broker that is administering the RRG,
providing a comprehensive package of insurance
through one source."

So my new question to everyone out there (for those with experience in the matter please chime in!!) is for complete coverage are we talking about $1000 for an affiliate plus monthly premiums for the RRG, plus upfront money and premiums for general liability insurance as well?
Old 09-09-2009, 12:08 PM   #4
Matt Charney

Profile:

Quote:
for complete coverage are we talking about $1000 for an affiliate plus monthly premiums for the RRG, plus upfront money and premiums for general liability insurance as well
Yes.

Becoming an affiliate is not cheap.

If this is not something you are ready for, there is the method I started with.

If you haven't already, get your level I. Print some business cards with your name & number, credentials and that you use the CrossFit methodolgy. This is your only legal use of the name CrossFit. I sent my proof in to HQ legal for approval prior to printing. Get insurance as a CrossFit trainer, join the RRG as a trainer, and pay for that adder once they are writting policies.

Train from you garage until you have either out grow it or your neighbors call the authorities. Then affiliate and open a box.

Most of this is paraphrased from Coach at a CrossFit 101.

Matt
Old 09-09-2009, 05:51 PM   #5
Lisbeth Darsh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Charney View Post
Yes.

If you haven't already, get your level I. Print some business cards with your name & number, credentials and that you use the CrossFit methodolgy. This is your only legal use of the name CrossFit. I sent my proof in to HQ legal for approval prior to printing. Get insurance as a CrossFit trainer, join the RRG as a trainer, and pay for that adder once they are writting policies.

Train from you garage until you have either out grow it or your neighbors call the authorities. Then affiliate and open a box.

Matt
Wow, Matt, you've done my work for me today! Thanks!

As for the question about homemade equipment, you'll need to talk with Nexo (or your insurance provider for general liability) directly about that sort of coverage, since that is not an area of the RRG (which is professional liability, i.e. coverage for training people and using the CrossFit method, vs. the coverage that is provided for "slip and fall" incidents of a gen. liab. policy.) But if you utilize homemade equipment, then it is best to tell your provider that you do so, ditto with use of rings, etc. -- if you hide stuff and then something happens and you have a claim, you don't want to find out that your posterior is hanging in the wind.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:07 PM   #6
Matt Charney

Profile:

Thanks Lisbeth,

I just went through the whole process and analysised all my options pretty extensively with in the past couple weeks.

Happy to share,
Old 09-11-2009, 06:57 AM   #7
Ivan Ruiz

Profile:

I hope I'm not asking a dumb question here...

If I "get [my] level I cert, print some business cards with [my] name & number, credentials and that [i] use the CrossFit methodolgy" I can then get insurance through the RRG? I pay the 200 bucks and then they issue a policy? Or do I still need to get my own liability insurance seperate from what the RRG offers?
Old 09-11-2009, 02:15 PM   #8
Matt Charney

Profile:

Yes you should get a Liability policy. The RRG is over and above and will cover the things that the regular policy will not.

The reason the RRG is being formed is because the standard policies are lacking in some areas.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:04 AM   #9
Mark Griffith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Charney View Post
Yes.

Matt
Excellent advice.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:26 AM   #10
Matt Charney

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Griffith View Post
Excellent advice.
I would say thanks but I can't take credit for it.

This is the type of stuff Coach has been so willing to share. Just like the articles on building equipment for a garage gym. Does this stuff undermine the affiliates or does it help the already established affiliates?