CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 06-21-2011, 09:24 PM   #1801
Bryan Kemper

Profile:
Re: Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger - Tamara's log

TC,

What is your training like for your Games competitor? Strength focus? There will have to at least a bit of Kipling and barbell complexes somewhere. I totally agree with the fact that strength should come first, then various skills followed by conditioning, but are you adding in varying met-cons as well?

I am not trolling in the slightest, just trying to get a glimpse into your awesomeness.

Thanks
Old 06-22-2011, 04:53 AM   #1802
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearse Shields View Post
I don't Crossfit either.
If we start making everyone around here who DOESN'T CrossFit raise their hands, I think Bev is going to be in for a rude awakening.

But, isn't EVERYTHING CrossFit anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Brisson View Post
You showed some great restraint too! I for one am glad to have you here, CF or not. The human body works the way it does no matter how you train, and you have studied it more than I, so its good to have a helpful (and free, BTW) resource like you around!

Is that too much ego boosting...
Thanks.

Feel free to boost my ego any time. I'm known for my lack of self-confidence.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:10 AM   #1803
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Kemper View Post
TC,

What is your training like for your Games competitor? Strength focus? There will have to at least a bit of Kipling and barbell complexes somewhere. I totally agree with the fact that strength should come first, then various skills followed by conditioning, but are you adding in varying met-cons as well?

I am not trolling in the slightest, just trying to get a glimpse into your awesomeness.

Thanks
So, here's the deal with that. She's a masters competitor who trains at an affiliate. I am working with her on strength programming and Olympic lifts. I've also gone through a list of skills with her and given her ideas on how to train them. Her skill work is what I would consider CrossFit specific - kipping pullups, OHS for reps, cycling box step ups, wall balls, etc. I don't program metcons for her, but I have advised her on what types of metcons she should choose.

While I coach CrossFitters, I don't consider myself a CrossFit coach. I really have no interest in training people who want to be good at competing in CrossFit. What my gym does can make people better CrossFitters, In fact, it can make them excellent CrossFitters. But, due to my philosophical disconnect with some of the key things they are going to encounter in competition - high rep barbell work, kipping, etc. - it's just not a good fit to have them train with me all the time.

Now, if that was someone's goal, I would cross that bridge when we came to it. But, in that case, I would most likely do EXACTLY what I did last year when I was preparing for Sectionals and Regionals. I needed to improve my distance running and endurance, so I ran with a local track club. I needed muscle ups and HSPUs, so I trained with a gymnastics coach.

It's just like having a football player who trains at my gym. Can I offer lots of things that will help them in them? Of course. But, playing football requires sport specific coaching. They still need a football coach. I would consider the realm of competitive CrossFit to be sport specific in the same way, so I am not the person who is going to coach them in those skills.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:40 AM   #1804
Gordon Cooke

Profile:

I agree with you Tamara. I don't really crossfit anymore either. Mostly just weight lifting with a little bit of kettlebell work for conditioning. I'd rather have a goal of a higher deadlift or squat than a faster Fran time.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:09 AM   #1805
Jay Rhodes

Profile:

Patiently waiting on a response from Bev.

Don't think we'll get it though.

Oh and btw T, I am SoOoOOooo catching you in workout log views.
Up your awesomeness! :stir:

Last edited by Jay Rhodes : 06-22-2011 at 07:11 AM.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:10 AM   #1806
Bryan Kemper

Profile:

Tamara,

Awesome reply and great attitude. Keep up the good work.

BTW, I PR'd my Snatch yesterday by 10 lbs for a 150 1RM. I have been following Chad Vaughn's Olyathlete Beginner template. That and spending a weekend at the OTC at the USAW Level 1 coaches course helped. If you have the opportunity to do a course at the OTC, make the trip.

Bryan
Old 06-22-2011, 09:27 AM   #1807
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Rhodes View Post
Oh and btw T, I am SoOoOOooo catching you in workout log views.
Up your awesomeness! :stir:
Bring it, buddy . I will turn my awesomeness up to high. I have to monitor it, though, because some people just can't handle that level of awesome. I'll train with extra glitter today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Kemper View Post
Tamara,

Awesome reply and great attitude. Keep up the good work.

BTW, I PR'd my Snatch yesterday by 10 lbs for a 150 1RM. I have been following Chad Vaughn's Olyathlete Beginner template. That and spending a weekend at the OTC at the USAW Level 1 coaches course helped. If you have the opportunity to do a course at the OTC, make the trip.

Bryan
Thanks, Bryan!

Congrats on the PR. I would love to get out to the OTC. I'm heading to School Age Nationals this weekend. Looking forward to it.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:28 PM   #1808
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

6/22/11

I'm not even sure what day it is any more. I have so much stuff to do for the gym, and I am running on so little sleep, that it is not even funny.

I was hoping to get to the gym early in the morning to snatch and clean, and then I was going to squat and deadlift later in the day. I had so much other stuff to do, that I finally got to train at 2:40 pm, and I had to leave at 3:15 to go get my kids from camp. I brought them back to the gym so I could squat and deadlift, and then I had six people training with me at night. And, I am STILL awake.

Behind the neck jerk:
To 80 kg. Failed a PR attempt at 83 kg.

LBBS:
To 190 lbs

Deadlift:
To 225 lbs

Power clean:
to 68 kg

Basically, I am just trying to avoid having things crash down around me training-wise. I didn't think this was too shabby for today considering what's been going on.

Tonight, one of the guys did a 3 x 150 kg front squat workset, and another guy pressed 3 x 5 x 80 kg. We are going to have some seriously baller people training at the gym. Super excited. And super tired.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:30 AM   #1809
Dave Traeger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
So, here's the deal with that. She's a masters competitor who trains at an affiliate. I am working with her on strength programming and Olympic lifts. I've also gone through a list of skills with her and given her ideas on how to train them. Her skill work is what I would consider CrossFit specific - kipping pullups, OHS for reps, cycling box step ups, wall balls, etc. I don't program metcons for her, but I have advised her on what types of metcons she should choose.

While I coach CrossFitters, I don't consider myself a CrossFit coach. I really have no interest in training people who want to be good at competing in CrossFit. What my gym does can make people better CrossFitters, In fact, it can make them excellent CrossFitters. But, due to my philosophical disconnect with some of the key things they are going to encounter in competition - high rep barbell work, kipping, etc. - it's just not a good fit to have them train with me all the time.

Now, if that was someone's goal, I would cross that bridge when we came to it. But, in that case, I would most likely do EXACTLY what I did last year when I was preparing for Sectionals and Regionals. I needed to improve my distance running and endurance, so I ran with a local track club. I needed muscle ups and HSPUs, so I trained with a gymnastics coach.

It's just like having a football player who trains at my gym. Can I offer lots of things that will help them in them? Of course. But, playing football requires sport specific coaching. They still need a football coach. I would consider the realm of competitive CrossFit to be sport specific in the same way, so I am not the person who is going to coach them in those skills.
This is actually a great post. People should definitely target their weaknesses by seeking out an expert in that field. Although we don't agree on crossfit's philosophy of training, this is spot on advice!

Oh and you got a mention in my log this morning (cuz I did your favourite wod )
Old 06-23-2011, 05:20 AM   #1810
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Traeger View Post
This is actually a great post. People should definitely target their weaknesses by seeking out an expert in that field. Although we don't agree on crossfit's philosophy of training, this is spot on advice!

Oh and you got a mention in my log this morning (cuz I did your favourite wod )
Oh, yay! I love it when we agree about something!

And, yes, yes, I went and read it .