CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-18-2009, 07:33 PM   #1
Daniel Gam

Profile:
weightlifting shoe - heel height?

i'm trying to decide what kind of weightlifting shoe to buy, and i noticed that different shoes have varying heel heights. eg the old do wins and VS' i think have a 1.5'' heel, a lot of other shoes have 1.25'' heels, and the new rogue shoes have a 0.75'' inch heel.

btw does anyone know how high the adidas ones are?

i've tried out an old adistarWL and the VS athleticsWL shoe, and the 1.5'' heel feels a little too high. the adidas ones seem just about right, but i don't know what height they are.

i'm thinking about the rogue's (or the pendlay's that come out in aug. i think they're the same shoe), but i'm wondering if lowering the heel by about a half will slightly negate the benefits of WL shoes to go real deep in the squat and not be hampered by ankle flexibility.

the adidas' look real attractive, but they're so expensive
Old 06-19-2009, 04:27 PM   #2
Ahmik Jones

Profile:
Re: weightlifting shoe - heel height?

The Adidas are about the height of the Rogues.

At the last cert that Rippetoe had at our gym, he said that felt that the height of the Rogues the were right, but the old VS and Do-win shoes, while better than flat shoes were too high. He felt that you couldn't get into the proper position for a deadlift because your heels were too high which places your knees too far forward. Having the heel too hight seems to have a similar effect for the squats.

The Rogues and Adidas do a good job of giving you a heel lift without overdoing it.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:19 AM   #3
Brian Degenaro

Profile:

It all depends on the person. I can't lift comfortably in a pair of shoes unless the heel is greater or equal to 1.5". MY ankles are not the most flexibile and the higher heel prevents me from squatting in 2nd position (from ballet).
Old 06-23-2009, 07:33 AM   #4
Mike Gin

Profile:

FYI - the custom Ristos I got has a 1-3/8" heel, 3/8" sole at the front for a net 1" total.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:23 PM   #5
Lindy Hruska

Profile:

I sent an email to Dynamic-Eleiko.com asking about heel height. I was told that it was between 3/4-1 inch high, on both the AdiStar and Ironworks shoes. Also, these shoes run a little more narrow than the Do-Wins, so they may be better for some feet than others.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:07 PM   #6
Scott Parker

Profile:

i have had my Risto's for about a month and am very happy with them. Gwen was a pleasure to deal with, they appear to be very well made, and if you mention you are a CrossFitter they will give you a discount. Personally i'd rather give my money to a mom and pop operation, and their shoes are literally hand-made in south america, not mass produced in china. i think i got mine for $105, $112 to my door after shipping. heel height is more along the lines of the adidas. the VS appear to have a really high heel.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:32 AM   #7
Sean Waxman

Profile:

The new