CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-20-2009, 02:08 AM   #1
William Myrick

Profile:
Should I be stricter?

Hey everyone, I am having a delimma here.

Male/31/160/5'7/~15%BF.

I haven't lost very much weight since my second week of CF/Zone. My weight has been between 159.8 and 160.8. I usually float between those two numbers during the past few weeks(4).

Should I become stricter with my diet or should I just maintain where I am at?

I am doing 11 block zone, 3-3-1-3-1. I am not subbing fat for carbs, just doing what the good book and CFJ 21 tell me too.

My partner is a full blown carb addict. We usually have dinner together so I am trying to stay with the Zone without dragging him kicking and screaming behind me.

Any ideas would be very helpful and happy rest day!

Last edited by William Myrick : 03-20-2009 at 02:21 AM.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:05 AM   #2
Amber Mathwig

Profile:
Re: Should I be stricter?

William,

Please post a sample day or two of your diet (including times in relation to your WOD) so we call can look for changes/suggestions to be made. Additionally, maybe post some words on how different meals made you feel and train.

My calculations say you should be eating 13 blocks??? To train right and lose weight, you need to eat, not starve.

Did you measure your BF% both today and two weeks ago? It's possible it may have changed even if your weight did not.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:54 AM   #3
William Myrick

Profile:

I am currently working graveyard shift, but I still eat my meals in order.
  • I usually wakeup about 5pm.
  • 6pm breakfast for today was 2 scrambled eggs w/ 2tsp EVOO butter, 1 glass of 2% milk, 1 cup of grapes.
  • 10pm lunch was 2 turkey brats (johnsonville) sliced on a big salad, light italian dressing.
  • 1am snack was a strawberry yogurt(1/2 cup) smoothie w/ 3 almonds
  • 4am dinner was 3oz pork chop, almost a whole bag of mixed veg (http://www.birdseyesteamfresh.com/ve...gMixturesMixed) WS/FS, the veg usually has some kind of oils or something in the bag.
  • 5.30am until 7-30am my WOD goes here, depends on when I can sneak away from work.
  • Usually within 1 hour of my WOD is 1/2 Myoplex drink with 1 cup grapes. It's 2 block more then I should have but I use this as a recovery meal for my workout and my snack before bed.
  • On restdays it is a snack as RX'd.

I normally feel really good on my WOD days, right now it is 5.46 and I am starting to get hungry but I will be having my last snack in about 45m.

I have lost a few inches off of my waist since I started. So I know my BF% was at 18 before I started.

As far as how the food makes me feel. Usually I feel great, I don't get hungry for around 3 or 4 hours. Even if I have unfavorable carbs for lunch I still feel good. I'm not sure how it is or isn't helping me with the WODs.

Last edited by William Myrick : 03-20-2009 at 03:56 AM.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:59 AM   #4
Harley Jennings

Profile:

William, I am not sure why someone at 160lbs would want to lose "weight" in the first place. Losing BF is understandable, but to each there own.

If you are looking to lose pounds cut out the milk/grapes/yogurt/myoplex.

Replace these with green veggies and/or protien.

Move 50% of your daily carbs in to your PWO meal.

See what you can do about the length of time between your dinner and your workout. Working out fasted will help lose that weight. Three hours should be enough to get the effect. Of course morning workouts will always carry more bang for the buck in the weight loss arena.

But again man, why lose the weight? Are you sucking at the WODs and you feel it is weight related?
M/27/5'10''/200lbs/13%BF BS 365#/ SP 205#/ DL 425#/ BP 345#/ PC 235#/ FS 265#/ CJ 225#/ THR 225#/ Liz 6:11/ Murph 39:00My Log
Old 03-20-2009, 05:55 AM   #5
Tiina Caldara

Profile:

By moving your carbs to your post workout meal... do you mean that you should not eat a balanced zone meal and just eat extra blocks of carbs at that point and not eat them later (or earlier) in the day or eat more blocks of everything after your WOD?
Old 03-20-2009, 06:10 AM   #6
Harley Jennings

Profile:

Tiina, I am no expert on the zone since I do not zone. Robb Wolf is though...and can you can find some great stuff at http://www.************* WFS

Robb suggests moving the carbs to the PWO window, I don't remember how he explains how to move the blocks around.

Maybe a zoner can help Tiina out?
M/27/5'10''/200lbs/13%BF BS 365#/ SP 205#/ DL 425#/ BP 345#/ PC 235#/ FS 265#/ CJ 225#/ THR 225#/ Liz 6:11/ Murph 39:00My Log
Old 03-20-2009, 06:13 AM   #7
William Myrick

Profile:

Well it's not so much losing weight but getting back to where I was when I left my last mobile unit (155lbs). When I PCS'd/moved in 2003 to fixed comm I started a sedentary office job and started gaining weight.

When I was 155lbs I never felt better in my life. Partly due to the active pace of monthly deployments but I was also eating close to paleo without even knowing it.

There are some WODs I suck at and I know I can due better. Do I feel they are weight related? Hmmm, on some level yes. I having only been CF/Zone since late Feb.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:38 AM   #8
Ron Gaza

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Myrick View Post

I am doing 11 block zone, 3-3-1-3-1. I am not subbing fat for carbs, just doing what the good book and CFJ 21 tell me too.
11 blocks is way to low which is why you dropped in the beginning and not anymore. I'm 5'6", 160lbs, 10-13% bf, eat 15 blocks, and was able to drop a lb a week. The CFJ 21 recommends for a small male 16 blocks.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:48 AM   #9
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Gaza View Post
11 blocks is way to low which is why you dropped in the beginning and not anymore. I'm 5'6", 160lbs, 10-13% bf, eat 15 blocks, and was able to drop a lb a week. The CFJ 21 recommends for a small male 16 blocks.
I'm not a Zoner, but Ron is right. Most likely, you're body is desperately clinging to the weight because it is in starvation mode. You need to either eat more (preferably good quality protein, fat, and veg) regularly (increase blocks) or add a significant cheat or carb up one day a week.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:00 AM   #10
Steven Matheson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Allen Hanson View Post
I'm not a Zoner, but Ron is right. Most likely, you're body is desperately clinging to the weight because it is in starvation mode.
Doubtful. It is of my personal, non-professional opinion that this whole 'starvation mode' thing has got to go.