CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-05-2009, 07:21 AM   #1
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:
How do you develop patience?

Has anyone else ever had trouble with patience?

When I first came to these boards I jumped into a 98% paleo calorie restricted diet and promptly dropped about 15 pounds in 3 weeks.

I had a lot of trouble maintaining the full paleo-ness of the diet without feeling miserable (i know, i'm weird) so I added sugar-free bread back in so I could keep lunchtime sanity (i don't really want to get into a nutrition debate so i'll leave it at that) and found myself much happier about my diet choice.

I also started jumping into my endurance training and doing CF much much harder.

Over the next 3 weeks I dropped another 5 pounds (not the 15 i did before) and kind of fluctuated between 260 and 255. I know your weight fluctuates like that depending on water retention. But, I can't seem to break that 255 barrier. It's a barrier that's hounded me forever. Even when I was hardcore into kickboxing and working out everyday before I graduated college I couldn't break that 255 mark.

I know my weight loss has become more natural over the past 3 weeks and people tell me that I look thinner and better than before. Heck if you look at my testimonial you can see a pic from last week compared to a pic from October and see the difference.

So I guess the point of all this is that I'm getting impatient. I want to break that 255 mark now! I don't like my weight loss slowing down so much over the last few weeks. It frustrates me and causes a bit of panic that I can't break that 255 mark. I know my exercise habits and eating habits are WAY better than they were before. I've upped the calorie intake and kept it with good meats and vegetables. I do CF harder than I ever did before.
But, for some reason I'm not seeing huge gains around the waist and on the scale. My performance is definitely improving though.

So how do you learn patience? I know if you were fat before you came to CF you had to have been a bit impatient wanting those results forever. I just keep wondering how long I should be patient and wait before deciding that I've hit a wall and I need to fix something (diet, exercise, something)?
Old 03-05-2009, 07:46 AM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: How do you develop patience?

Muscle is denser than fat. If you're replacing fat with muscle, the scale may not move as fast. What do the mirror and the tape measure say? How do your clothes fit? Is your performance improving?

Katherine
Old 03-05-2009, 08:11 AM   #3
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Peformance is improving and my clothes do fit a bit better. People that see me tell me that I appear smaller in the waist and chest.

Then again, I've lost 20 pounds in 2 months (with a 5 pound fluctuation making it 15-20 pounds). I guess that's pretty good. My original goal was to go from 275 to 225. I guess I can't expect 50 pounds in 2 months.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:19 AM   #4
Chris Walls

Profile:

It's not so much being patient as it is being realistic. realistic goals. And don't focus on body weight. Focus on performance and eating clean. Your body will take care of itself. I figured I needed to be 185, I got down there from 220 and now I'm back up to 205 and holding. Oh well.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:23 AM   #5
Bo Schmidt

Profile:

Patience is a mindset. If you really want something, you're most likely going to get it, provided you work hard. Nothing comes easy. It may take longer than at first expected, but that's how life is--unpredictable.
Drawing upon my own experience I can only say that weight loss has been easy if you can only stand a little hunger and be disciplined. It's a well-known fact that with a caloric deficit, you will lose weight. What I did was to zone 14 blocks for 3-4 weeks. I maintained by strength but lost a lot of fat gained from 2 month of SS. As far as I recall i lost 11 pounds.

IF would be a good choice to break the 255 pounds barrier. I find that my hunger pains diminish as the day goes by if I drink sufficient water, and when I break the fast I can eat only half of what I normally eat in a day and feel full until the next day. As I'm IF'ing for other reasons, I'm eating a whole days' worth of food, but it's certainly a possibility to create a caloric deficit that way. This would add all the other benefits there is to IF to your training regimen, if you're not already IF'ing.

Setting a goal and achieving it is incredibly satisfying and rewarding. It supports your self-esteem, which makes you want more of it, which in turn provides you with the patience necessary to achieve it. I hope you reach your goal.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:25 AM   #6
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

I do IF. I eat my last meal for the night around 730 or 8. Then I don't eat again until 12 the next day. That's 16 hours without food.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:24 PM   #7
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Easy question...trials produce patience. You must experience the failure of impatience to truly get it...keep living and working on it, and it comes naturally, if you actively are reaching for it. In my opinion you are on the right path by merely being cognizant.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:05 PM   #8
Thomas Bailly

Profile:

it's been said before, the first x lbs are easy, after that is when true work and discipline begin. Stay focused on your goal,fine tune your diet ( reread those nutrition threads) and add a little intensity to your training ( NOT longer, just harder).
Remeber,your body is working a little less hard now you dropped 20lbs, so make up for it by working harder...or just ditch the bread to make it less effort.
Good job though, stay on track.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:41 PM   #9
Steven Low

Profile:

Vary your macronutrient ratios some and see if that helps. More pro, less cals perhaps. More fat, less carbs.. experiment a bit.

Otherwise, MIRROR is your best bet. Not the scale.

Patience is not needed IMO.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:51 PM   #10
James Groom

Profile:

Working crappy 8 hour jobs for a few years will give you patients.