CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-08-2003, 09:53 PM   #1
Scott Parker

Profile:
i have no idea how to perform this exercise, and i will be using dumbells since i don't have kettlebells. any help would be appreciated!

thanks,

scott
Old 01-08-2003, 11:25 PM   #2
David Leys

Profile:  
Hey scott, most importantly keep your good squat stance throughout the movement(head up, chest up, but back, shoulders back, weight on heals not toes). But for the rest here is the link on the movement which is the one already posted obove the posted workouts for this week: http://www.cbass.com/KB Blast.html
Old 01-09-2003, 07:19 AM   #3
Scott Parker

Profile:
yeah, i checked out that article before i put up this post. i still really have no idea how the exercise is done...i'm really confused about this one.

scott
Old 01-09-2003, 08:49 AM   #4
Stephen Troy

Profile:

Here's a link, about a quarter of the way down the page is a guy doing DB swings

http://www.dolfzine.com/page428.htm
Old 01-09-2003, 10:08 AM   #5
Scott Parker

Profile:
stephen -

excellent! thanks for the beta! that's just what i needed! i've never done the exercise before, and have a tweaky right shoulder from swimming - what kind of weight do you think i should start with?
Old 01-09-2003, 02:04 PM   #6
Stephen Troy

Profile:

This may be a double post, the first didn't seem to go:

Assuming you are a man, 150 pounds or heavier in reasonable condition, I would start with a 35 pound DB swinging to waist height. Gradually increase the height to overhead level over your first few workouts as you get comfortable, then up your poundage.

Kettlebells + newcomers + big ego = injury. Be very cautious with this exercise. If you are given a specific KB weight to do an exercise with, bear in mind you need to add at least ten pounds to a DB weight to make up for the displaced center of gravity for swings.
Old 01-09-2003, 10:39 PM   #7
Scott Parker

Profile:
Stephen,

is that 35lbs. for a one or two arm swing? (i'm thinking it's a two arm swing after reading the link an how that guy injured himself.)

scott
Old 01-10-2003, 08:30 AM   #8
Stephen Troy

Profile:

Correct 2 arm swing (both hands on a single DB). This will seem very easy at first, and you can work your way up in height and poundage. Remember, I don't know anything about you except that you're 26. If you're 5'11, 180 and 10% body fat, a 50 pound DB might be a more reasonable start.

Going up is not the issue, since you'll be able to muscle up 35 pounds pretty easily. It's catching the weight back on your heels with your back and hamstrings that is tricky. You want to get your form down before moving up in weight or... "mess you up"