CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-03-2003, 02:04 PM   #11
sean hernandez mccumiskey

Profile:

hey guys it sean here,

thanks for all the advise. i am improving on my times and cant wait to try a c2 rower. i do agree that we should keep this board flame free.

well i am very new to crossfit and no little about what i read here on this wonderful board, but i do now that this crossfit stuff is helping

Mark what kind of work out do you do and have you tried a wod. this ? is asked in total peace im not trying to get things going im just interested in what you do. although i think im sold on this crossfit stuff i am still searching for other stimuli.

thanks again to you all sean
Old 02-03-2003, 04:21 PM   #12
Mark Cain

Profile:

For the record- the guy was talking about a hydrolic rower- NOT A CONCEPT 2 . SO my comment was specifically about this being an unrealistic goal for that specific piece of equipment. further, in reference to the C2 rower although attainable, it seemed to be pushing it a bit to suggest that the times mentioned were average for the C2. perhaps many on these boards can do it yet you people are not average. MOreover, i thought that he must have missed the guys' height and weight as patrick outweighs the guy by 50 pounds or so. his accomplishment does not correlate with a lightweight's. so the comparison is not as pertinent as it would be otherwise.

Old 02-03-2003, 04:25 PM   #13
Mark Cain

Profile:

people are very defensive of their particular methodology. if people find my propositions or statements offensive, that was never my intent. New information or a different view should not be cause of defensive posturing. jeepers, if disagreement is to be banned, maybe you should run a dictatorship. ( royal YOU, not anyone in particular )

for the record, i have not stated that H_I_T is the best. nor have i said that all others are inferior. i pointed out that the original concept was arthur jones' who sold the concept of short bursts of intense effort infrequently applied to Boyer Coe, mike Mentzer, Viator and a number of other bodybuilders. some later disagreed with the concept, later repudiating the work that was done.
when Jones sold Nautilus, he created another company that is working on back rehabilitation.

please point out where i explicitly state that HIT is best, and the rest is terrible. i compared two contrasting methodologies. that was all.

What i did say was that many people make the mistake of applying only one of the principles behind the training style. or conversely, apply all of the principles to an overwhelming degree- train this way all the time each and every workout. this cannot be done. YOu cannot work out hard, on every exercise, for long periods of time,for every workout for every cycle. the key is to work out smarter not longer, harder for days and days on end.

The statement that steroids is needed for this style of workout more so than the typical arnold routine was untrue and unnecessary even. the short brief routines tend to maximize recovery- you aren't spending hours in the gym. so steroid use is eliminated or reduced ( some people will always look for the edge )

i would not recommend HIT training as it is beyond what most people are capable of doing on their own, without coaching or monitoring. Athletes tend to be extreme individuals and quite often cannot figure out when or how to stop until it is forced upon them.

Old 02-03-2003, 04:42 PM   #14
Mark Cain

Profile:

In my opinion, the comment about liars, old people and kids was quite extraordinay in it's dismissiveness. should he read his comment again, he should be able to see that he dismissed the times of an entire generation as being not up to snuff. it is true that the times do drop off as you look at the age categories. however, the top in each age group still have amazing times.
The implication that the c2 ranking site is less truthfull and thereby less relevent than say, this cross fit site is astounding. i did mention that the majority of the times posted are race times and as such entered by the people of C2. Most of the other times are entered by people who know each other and/or race each other on an ongoing basis. Hard to lie when you have to put up or shut up the next day at the gym.

i am not interested in fanning the flames. odd that you should see it that way. yet i have no control over what others have going on in their heads. i'd suggest saving the battles for the gym as there is none to have in here.

this should address the issue.

Old 02-03-2003, 05:17 PM   #15
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
You just aren't going to get it. I can see that. I am going to take David's advice and opt not to engage in a battle of wits with a man who is obviously unarmed.
Old 02-03-2003, 05:17 PM   #16
Mark Cain

Profile:

crud, i left out a topic; your wife's time.
patrick, really, do calm down as i didn't say that your time is not good. i said that your wife's time of 4:05 is of a greater significance that your time of 3:30 (or better). There are many male rowers who can row 3:30 ( I am not one of them ) especially bigger guys like yourself. However, there are NOT that many women of any age who can row 4 minutes or thereabouts for a 1000m. hers is merely statistically more significant than your time. you were not the subject of the sentence; your wife was. your wife's time is very good; i apologize that you found that sentence to be about you when it was about your wife. your time is very good.

your personal comments about me do little if anything to further your goals. i sincerely regret that you find it necessary to comment upon my use of 'big words'. i do not find them 'big' so i expect no one else to either. I have found that most people on these sort of boards ( athletic boards ) are well educated people capable of following more robust sentences allowing for syntax/typo errors. for some people, it's my lack of capital letters, typos or punctuation that bothers them. sheeshh

i'll send a message to my friends that you find them not worthy. it should bring a smile.:proud:

this is all too funny; i have never said anything of a personal impolite nature to any one thus far.

Sean, when and if you can find a C2 rower drop me a note. there is plenty of info out there. and plenty of rowing competitions on the continent for you to ply your skills.
Old 02-03-2003, 06:33 PM   #17
Mark Cain

Profile:

"to engage in a battle of wits with a man who is obviously unarmed."

attributed to Winston Churchill yet goes back to shakespearean times. always must state your souces as otherwise you could be accused of stealin'!

in this case, it is technically not true as i have both my arms yet i did lose a toenail once.
Old 02-04-2003, 07:24 AM   #18
Mark Cain

Profile:

Sean- the tempo is the reciprocal of the speed. if you have a tunturi or a wynne style of rower, then the tempo is the length of time ( mm:ss) that it takes for you to row a set distance. this is referred to as the default distance setting. on the C2, this is set to 500m . The C2 call this data " pace ". in your case it is probably the same thing. if you look at this while you are rowing, try to keep it constant. as you row, you can attempt to reduce it each time. this is referred to as negative splits.
It seems that you can only allow for time so row a 5 minute clip trying to maintain a 2:00 minute tempo. you will find that the hydraulic/piston type may be considerably more difficult so perhaps a 2:30 tempo would be good. it doesn't really matter as what you wish to do is to reduce the tempo/pace by 3-5 % each week. in the beginning , you will make huge leaps in improvement in tempo. then as you approach the limits of your performance curve, it will take more effort in training to make incremental changes in performance.
if you wish to know how fast you are going in Meters per second, then flip the numbers upside down, convert the time to seconds and divide. for example a 2 minute pace /500 m is 120 second/ 500 m. or in terms of speed, 500m/120 seconds which leads to 4.167 m/s. This datum combined with the number of strokes per second can then tell you how many meters you are going per stroke. the math is easy and fun, the rowing is fun but not easy! just the way we like it!
let me know of any further concerns/help you need.
mark