CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-07-2003, 12:40 PM   #1
David Wood

Profile:

I realize y'all folks out there on Monterey Bay probably don't get much experience with this, but I probably won't get to do the WOD today 'cause I just spent 2-1/2 hours shoveling my (long, wide) driveway. There was about 7 inches of wet stuff when I started, and by the time I finished I had to go back and scrape off 2 inches of new stuff that had fallen while I worked.

Anyway, anyone got any thoughts on how to make this a CrossFit-appropriate workout?

I tried "Tabata shoveling" (all out for 20-seconds, rest for 10, repeat) but that was not fun at all (too much dependence on upper body work) . . . I couldn't get 3 rounds.

I tried "throw a shovelful for distance" and "throw a shovelful for height" exercise. That was better. So was "throw it OVER the pickup lengthwise, with points off for any snow that lands in the bed ('cause you'll have to shovel that out later)".

That was fun, because you can try to maximize the effect of the shovel's lever arm, and you can put your legs into it. But it was still not really CrossFit. (It's at times like this that I miss the Bay Area.)

What really sucks is that by now (2 hours later) it's turned into a sunny day . . . but I got 8 hours of work still to do.

David Wood
Lebanon, NJ
Old 02-08-2003, 10:30 PM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
David-
Wow...no one has gone hear this with a stick!!! The things you mentioned seem really good...i think the amount of time you need to invest is where the problem comes up...one could be completely gassed in 20 min but that is not going to get the whole job done. This might be a good place for lower intensity GPP type stuff. The westside guys do wheelbarrel walks for 45+ min...this seems prtty similar.

Just some thoughts
Robb
Old 02-09-2003, 07:19 AM   #3
Mark Cain

Profile:

david,

east coast here as well. just shovelled out a much smaller driveway. i use a plow shovel; sometimes i use my left hand as the driver for 10 reps then i change to using my right hand as the driver. then i will use contra-lateral hands/over the shoulder snow throws technique to hit different parts of my back.
this snow shovelling stuff is a major workout as you know. a lot of people die from the complete exhaustion it brings on. it's a killer routine. tossing 10-15 pounds of snow off from a 6 foot lever is not easy stuff. a couple hundred reps of this is a great workout!
mark cain
Old 02-09-2003, 09:03 AM   #4
David Wood

Profile:

Actually, after reading my message I felt a little embarassed. Where I live in NJ really gets very little snow in comparison to places like upstate NY or Western Michigan (lake-effect dumpings). I think Watertown, NY gets something like 300+ inches most years . . . puts it in the same league as Lake Tahoe, without the mountains. We get about 20 inches most years, with this year being quite a bit heavier than the last couple winters.

If there are any CrossFitters from those areas with REAL snow, they probably didn't answer because (a) they were laughing too hard, or (b) they're still shoveling.

Dave
(sunny today, 4-6 inches forecast for Monday morning . . . oh, joy)
Old 02-09-2003, 12:01 PM   #5
Mark Cain

Profile:

your post makes me think about people living in newfoundland. i think that so far this year they have received over 7 meters of snow. quite a blanket. we have only 3 meters of snow or thereabouts.
it's still hard to shovel snow.
Old 02-09-2003, 12:06 PM   #6
Mark Cain

Profile:

your post makes me think about people living in newfoundland. i think that so far this year they have received close to 6 meters of snow. quite a blanket. we have only 2 meters total of snow or thereabouts. so there should be some people with enormous backs and shoulders hulking about over there!
it's still hard to shovel snow.