CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-19-2003, 07:27 AM   #1
Don Milliken

Profile:

The style of squat that Coach favors is a medium-stance squat to just below parallel. It's what Hatfield calls an "athletic squat" and is also the style used by a lot of IPF powerlifters.

Most experts recommend that this style of squat is done in shoes that are absolutely flat, with no raised heel. Cross-trainers and running shoes do not fit this description, but sometimes the WOD calls for running or skipping to be super-setted with squats. What footwear should be worn in this case?
Old 02-19-2003, 09:05 AM   #2
David Wood

Profile:

Not sure what Coach would recommend, but I'll stick my two cents in.

I make do using New Balance cross-trainers. Not ideal, but I've never had a problem (except on long runs, like today's WOD . . . for that, I should have used a true running shoe).

The advice that always made the most sense to me was to get a pair of the old "Chuck Taylor" high-top basketball shoes . . . they had essentially flat soles, with only minimal padding. Again, that should work for all but the occasional "long" run. But I understand that they are getting hard to find now.

Another possible alternative is to get a pair of true (running shoe) racing flats. These are essentially flat, minimally padded. But, they provide very little lateral support . . . they're made for forward motion only . . . not sure if I'd want to get under a heavy squat in them.

Old 02-19-2003, 10:55 AM   #3
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Don- On a max effort type squat day using a flat shoe would be preferable. On mixed modality days ones squat weight is really going to plummet...IMO dont sweat the slight heel raise of rnning shoes.

David- as far as shoes go I think New Ballance are some of the best. As an aside, I hate shoes...I feel claustraphobic in them. I tend to wear Tevas 90% of the time and would go barefoot if it did not scare people. Obviously Seattle weather is not so bad!
Robb