CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-26-2008, 07:14 AM   #1
Marianne Urbanski

Profile:
Cool gloves or no gloves

I am new to cross fit and I have a question about wearing weight lifting gloves. I am a female oral surgeon, so the quality of my hands for my work is critical. I have always worn gloves when I worked out with my trainer, but n0w that I am doing cross fit, I notice no one wears them. I also notice that most of the crossfitters have rips and the quality of their hands would be unacceptable for me to do my work. Can anyone tell me what I should do? I don't want to be the "laughing stock" of cross fit if I wear them, but I have to admit that I do need to work too!! thanks for your help and I love this site.. it really helps us "newbes" get started!
Old 12-26-2008, 07:21 AM   #2
James Compora

Profile:
Re: gloves or no gloves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianne Urbanski View Post
I am new to cross fit and I have a question about wearing weight lifting gloves. I am a female oral surgeon, so the quality of my hands for my work is critical. I have always worn gloves when I worked out with my trainer, but n0w that I am doing cross fit, I notice no one wears them. I also notice that most of the crossfitters have rips and the quality of their hands would be unacceptable for me to do my work. Can anyone tell me what I should do? I don't want to be the "laughing stock" of cross fit if I wear them, but I have to admit that I do need to work too!! thanks for your help and I love this site.. it really helps us "newbes" get started!
If you want to wear them then just do it if you're an oral surgeon i think people would understand that and you wouldnt be the "laughing stock"
Old 12-26-2008, 07:49 AM   #3
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

CHalk is your friend. So is proper hand care; soak, pumice and Corn Husker lotion.

GLoves are there if you have a hand injury you can't train around.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:52 AM   #4
Dave Matteson

Profile:

I also should not have any significant open wounds on my hands. I do most WODs without gloves since they do slow grip strength progression a bit. However, for WODs that are prone to rips (e.g. high rep pull-ups), I always wear gloves.

Don't put your health and your patients' health at risk.

Oh, and welcome!
Old 12-26-2008, 07:55 AM   #5
Shawn Casey

Profile:

First, I would try without gloves and develope a plan for hand care. Maybe every couple days shave the thick calouses with a razor, then maybe a little sandpaper and then a little hand cream. I you do get a tear try nuskin(hurts a little) or superglue. If you find that you can't work this way, switch to gloves. If I keep my hands in check, I can go without tearing. I've done angie without a tear but if I slack off on the maintainence, tear my hands up pretty bad. I think not using gloves developes some mental toughness also, plus lets say you use gloves and then you want to do a competition that doesn't allow gloves. Hands all tore up.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:07 AM   #6
Diane Dennis

Profile:

I wear gloves because I don't want hands that look like I put them through a meat-grinder. And I don't care if people laugh.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:12 AM   #7
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Marianne,

Your job is more important than your workouts or your workout apparel. If I was scheduled for surgery and saw that your hands were a ripped up mess, I would find another surgeon. After more than 25 years of training, I view ripped up hands not a sign of toughness or a rite of passage; it means not enough strength, not enough endurance, not enough technique and/or lack of hand care knowledge (usually it's a combination of the above) that caused the tear.

I've suffered through (and still live with the after effects) from a severe staph infection due to a skin tear from a workout. Older and wiser I now stop the WOD, push down the pinched up skin and pull on gloves when I feel that "burn" that means the a tear is about to happen; it simply is not worth the chance of infection again. The only time I will allow myself to risk a tear anymore is during a competition.

Please don't wear padded biking gloves as you will lose nearly all the needed feedback from the bar and possibly cause a safety issue for yourself and others (please don't do kettlebell swings wearing gloves - too great a chance you could launch the bell). Find thin leather work gloves with no seams on the inside. Hand to bar contact is definitely best for a workout, but you need a middle ground to keep your job. Your workouts will suffer some, but you need to know and maintain your priorities.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:12 AM   #8
Robert Peck Fletcher

Profile:

gloves
Old 12-26-2008, 09:50 AM   #9
Emily Maisannes

Profile:

Use gloves when doing work with a pull up bar, barbell, or rings. I would avoid using them when working with kettlebells, since they shouldn't irritate your hands in the first place. Your work is important, so do what you need to do to protect your hands. Wear the right gloves.

From my experience, I have developed callouses and only had 1 blister that was pretty small. I haven't had these huge gaping open wounds that others have had. I have experienced some tenderness, but no open wounds, except for the one blister (it tore on the next WOD).
Old 12-26-2008, 10:56 AM   #10
Darrell E. White

Profile:

Marianne:

I am an ophthalmologist. I wear padded gloves when I am doing overhead lifts (bruises are just as bad as tears; when my hands hurt I find myself thinking about my hands during surgery) and oly lifting, and I wear gloves in the exact same way Kelly does for pull-ups. If I could use chalk in my gym I would probably need gloves less frequently for PU, but it is what it is.

Gloves are a personal decision based upon your personal priorities. I've been on the receiving end of some good-natured teasing on the Comments about gloves, but at the end of the day the quality of my kids' diet depends on the health of my hands.

Welcome aboard. Fasten your seatbelt.

--bingo