CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-01-2008, 11:36 AM   #1
Tres O Johnson

Profile:
I have flat feet - and POSE/running shoe questions.

As the thread title indicates I have VERY flat and WIDE feet. I currently run in some Brooks motion control shoes that are waaay too old. Anyway, at the suggestion of a couple of people here I have begun to research the POSE method for running. The problem is I know I should not be doing this in my Brooks 'boots'. I was able to dig up some Adidas Sambas at Kohl's last night. But I'm concerned that they will be too narrow for me. I am planning on working towards wearing some Vibram Five Fingers but I don't think I'm ready yet.

My questions are thus:
  1. Should try to run POSE in my Brooks shoes?
  2. If my feet are flat will I hurt them with the 'narrow' Sambas?
  3. Is there a good transition shoe that I can use that will adhere to POSE and accomodate my duck feet?
  4. I have the 5k WoD coming up tomorrow. Should I scale it since I'll be trying to implement some POSE principles for the first time?

Thanks in advance people!
Old 05-02-2008, 01:58 AM   #2
Elliot Fuller

Profile:
Re: I have flat feet - and POSE/running shoe questions.

Without a doubt don't start doing POSE method with a 5K. Start more with like 400m once or twice and work your way into it. You will be hurting big time if you start it on a 5K.

I don't know a ton about flat feet, but I fall under the general idea that the human foot is well-adapted to... adapting well. I think it's designed in a way to tolerate the movement it was designed to tolerate. This message brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department.

I might be off in this principle, but I think if you train your feet to get back into the habit of running/walking/moving the way nature intended them to move, then flat footedness won't really matter. Not having flat feet, I say this pretty blindly and without much evidence other than bias.

Along those lines, since you won't be jumping into long distance POSE runs some time (on the order of months, maybe) most likely (after a few 400m you'll be feeling it for damn sure the next few days), then why not train on softer ground and give it a shot barefoot?

For your regular runs like 5Ks in the meantime, you can run the way you usually do, and gradually work your POSE training into the mix over time. I'm a big advocate of barefoot training. As for other shoes that accommodate flat feet, I really can't say
Old 05-02-2008, 04:41 AM   #3
Tres O Johnson

Profile:

I wish I'd seen this before I ran this morning!

Anyway, I chose a pair of Sambas a couple of days ago and took them on a run this morning (along with some padded, moisture wicking socks) and finished 1.05 miles (about 1.7k) of the 5k. My achilles and calves are not happy with me but who care what they think, right?

Additionally, I developed another blister on my right foot - any tips on how to avoid them in the future? I am NOT the type that can run through one. They stop me in my tracks.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:43 AM   #4
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Depends where the blister is...

There are some good threads already on POSE, so I suggest you start with a search; you'll get better answers, probably. Also if you haven't checked out the official pose web site at www.posetech.com (w/f/s), I suggest you do that as well.

Blisters and pain in the toes usually mean you're not doing correct form yet. You're probably landing either too far on your toes or just too far out in front of your center of mass, causing your ball of foot and toes to impact more with the ground.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:54 AM   #5
Tres O Johnson

Profile:

Thanks Elliot. I have read the posetech board and am planning on getting the DVD in the very near future.

Yeah, it's funny because I don't have any problem with the left foot. When I began to notice the blister forming I realized that I was running more effortlessly on my left foot, gentle, light. But the right foot seemed to be almost pounding. I think it was aggravated by my attempts to adjust to the pain.

Oh and the blister is on the bottom of my foot in the area where my arch should be. While sitting at my desk and putting my weight on the ball of my right foot it doesn't seem to touch. Perhaps I was landing too far out or too flat footed on the right foot. I'll need to take a look. Hopefully it wasn't the shoes. They feel great otherwise.

Last edited by Tres O Johnson : 05-02-2008 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:43 AM   #6
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

I have flat foot too. Recently I had some custom "orthoics" made for me by an old podiatrist. I use them all day. At first they hurted a bit on one of my feet, but I got used to it after a couple of days. I don't know if it's helping or not, but I keep using them.

I am not a runner, however, I went ahead and bought the Vibran 5 fingers... black and RED ( ) ... first of all, they are wide, at least in the toes area. Or I have thin feet!
First time I ran in them, I was OK, only hurted on my left foot a little bit, afterwards, not during it. I searched and found the Six Foot Drills, which take about 3 minutes a day to perform, so I do them almost every day. They are very very easy, you should try them. (Google it, don't have a link right now, sorry).

Also, I think I didn't get the huge pain some people talk about when trying POSE, because my calves might have been a bit used to a similar stress, since I've jumped a lot of rope, kindof. I jump rope barefoot or in sox (is it spelled socks?)

Also, I must say I haven't tried jogging POSE, I think I once tried and found it difficult. But running at "full speed" it's easier to land with the feet under you. I sprint for about 15 seconds (no idea on the distance, but probably less than 100m since I'm kinda slow!). So far so good. I've been out on the streets with them and people I know have laughed when they see me in them, heh.

These were just some random thoughts by someone with little experience, hope at least something I said is useful to you.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:55 PM   #7
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Tres, a blister in that area sounds more to do with the shoe than the landing. Of course it could be a combination of both. Maybe the forward landing is causing the shoe to rub in a way it shouldn't be.

Honestly I'd try doing it barefoot for a while just in some grass or a park or something soft. You'll naturally come up on the balls of your feet if you're running barefoot, and it's a much easier way of getting a feel for POSE, even if you're not doing it quite right.

I don't know a thing about Sambas, unfortunately. But if they're just typical "running shoes," then they are likely built for people who strike with the heel. So landing on Ball of Foot might not really cater to their design.

Anyways, I second the mention of the "foot drills" (there are some threads with links if you do a search). They're easy and quick, and they do help. And I'll re-emphasize the efficacy of training barefoot for a while, as it will strengthen not just your calves, but your feet as well.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:40 AM   #8
Sean Dunston

Profile:

We just had a Pose seminar at my affiliate yesterday -- freakin awesome!

I was never a runner growing up - but I had to do a lot of running when on the wrestling team in high school.

A few years ago, my wife and I started doing 1/2 marathons - again no actual "running training" was involved, only distance training. I ran one in 2006, then 4 more in 2007.

It was very eye-opening to me to get the Pose training yesterday. My calves, balls of my feet and ankles are a bit sore, but that was to be expected.

There is a shoe that is specifically designed to train you for Pose method.

Try Newton (wfs) they are a bit spendy, but...

http://www.newtonrunning.com/