CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 03-31-2008, 02:30 AM   #1
Matthew Barrett

Profile:
2008 Tour De France

I know its a little over two months till it begins, but I'm getting excited already!

Should be a very interesting race this time around, First time in a long time that there will be a 'US-Postal' based team in the race. It's a bit sad if you ask me.

There are some ripper stages. I think stage 17 finishing on L'Alpe-d'Huez will be where the race is won or lost. As far as I can tell the stage 20TT doesnt look too demanding so I think stage 17 will be exciting.

Also Astana look to have quite a decent squad in spite of last years debacle, I'd be willing to have a punt on Levi Leipheimer. But sorry I have to say it will be Cadel Evans.

Anyway, just my thoughts, will be interested in what others think, or if there even are any cyclists among the crossfit community.

Vivre Le Tour
Old 03-31-2008, 06:24 AM   #2
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Re: 2008 Tour De France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Barrett View Post
I know its a little over two months till it begins, but I'm getting excited already!

Should be a very interesting race this time around, First time in a long time that there will be a 'US-Postal' based team in the race. It's a bit sad if you ask me.

There are some ripper stages. I think stage 17 finishing on L'Alpe-d'Huez will be where the race is won or lost. As far as I can tell the stage 20TT doesnt look too demanding so I think stage 17 will be exciting.

Also Astana look to have quite a decent squad in spite of last years debacle, I'd be willing to have a punt on Levi Leipheimer. But sorry I have to say it will be Cadel Evans.

Anyway, just my thoughts, will be interested in what others think, or if there even are any cyclists among the crossfit community.

Vivre Le Tour

Continued Drug use has killed that sport.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:04 AM   #3
Derek Franks

Profile:

I think it would be more accurate to say that drug testing has killed the sport (if you agree the sport is dead... which I don't). I think most people would be surprised by the level of performance enhancing drug use if the NBA, NHL, NFL, and MLB all instituted doping controls similar to those of cycling. The owners know this which is why they've resisted testing for years and when the finally do agree to it, they implement it in such a way that the testing is easy to beat and the penalties are minor.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:16 AM   #4
Aaron Trent

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
Another uninformed voice from the peanut gallery chimes in with useless drivel!
I really love how you say, "that sport" as if drug use has not been pervasive in other sports all of last century.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:44 AM   #5
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Trent View Post
Quote:
I really love how you say, "that sport" as if drug use has not been pervasive in other sports all of last century.
Yeah, sorry Jay, I'm usually with you on a lot of things, but you gotta watch it. Careful not to come into a thread where a guy's all rip-roarin about his favorite sport, and slam it with a one line comment. Heck, don't slam it at all, just let 'em have their fun.

Always remember:
It's not the critic that counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of good deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly, who errs again and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiams, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who at the worst if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat.
- Theodore Roosevelt
Old 03-31-2008, 11:51 AM   #6
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:

Many many of my Cat 1,2,3 friends are very disillusioned as to the state of the sport, and they only care about cycling. We aren't talking about other sports, just cycling, as the subject was the Tour

Just when you're ready to cheer on a new up coming rider or a certain team, the drug issue raises it's head.

Notice what thread title this subject is in! Speaks volumes.

This sport is dead, will not get sponsors, won't get many viewers, as ALL winners will be tainted. Is that fair, no, so you can count big excitement out of the picture for a few years until the sport really cleans up its act

Notice what thread topic this subject is in. Speaks volumes

Here is what's making news, and it isn't excitement about upcoming race. Link is w/f/s and drug free.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/25/sp...yt&oref=slogin

Last edited by Jay Cohen : 03-31-2008 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Added closing line
Old 03-31-2008, 01:00 PM   #7
George Mounce

Profile:

I agree with Jay...the first thing I expect to hear in cycling is whoever fails the drug/performance tests. Because you know its coming.

Do you know its coming and could be with almost any participant in other sports, especially in the profession leagues? No. You don't know. Maybe they hide it better.

As much as people don't like Jay's no-nonsense attitude, he's right. Cycling is about who is drugging to win. Maybe that will change, but after last years, can you blame people for making it a huge argument? I can still hope other sports are full of people who uphold athletic standards.

The Olympics are the same way, if it wasn't for Tyson *** being such an awesome runner, I have no real desire to watch that commercial beast anymore.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:01 PM   #8
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Quote:
Maybe you should actually read what someone says before responding as you did.

Sure, drug use is pervasive in other sports. But has it killed football? Basketball? What about baseball, where a player tests positive every other week? Well, MLB just set an attendance record last week? Has drug use killed that?

On the other hand, cycling can't keep athletes, can't keep sponsorships, and can't keep spectators because every one of the top names fails a drug test. And what is this talk about testing policies being strict? The labs that test the samples are disreputable, the French press is on a witch hunt, and you can't leave your kit out in the open for fear of a competitor putting stuff in it.

Cycling in its pure form is a fine pasttime. But anyone that's been involved with the sport is very dismayed at the black eye it's had in recent years.

That said, I'm looking forward to the races. Sure, everybody is on drugs, but the sprint finishes over cobblestones are damn exciting!

Last edited by Gant Grimes : 03-31-2008 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:02 PM   #9
Aaron Trent

Profile:

I really do not see the sport being dead. Maybe here in America, but when was it ever alive? Hell, there are even 2 minor tours on in this country now. But the races still draw crowds in Europe, they still draw sponsors, and riders. When this mess is finally resolved there will still be cycling. You say it has received a black eye in "recent years", you must have forgotten the rider in the late 60's who fell over dead during a mountain stage from AMPHETAMINES!
Besides, the Classics provide better racing than the Grand Tours.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:09 PM   #10
Matthew Barrett

Profile:

Quote:
Its people who have this attitude, and little faith in the athletes who are clean which have 'killed the sport'