CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 05-04-2007, 06:13 AM   #1
Peter Queen

Profile:
I have been watching this season’s episode of the Ultimate Fighter on Spike-TV. I have not been watching it very much during the past seasons. So forgive me for any ignorance on my part. However, after watching last night’s show I got to wondering. So what’s the deal with Gabe “Godzilla” Ruediger? Last night he got kicked off of the Ultimate Fighter because he did not make his weight class. Was this due to his attitude or was it actually due to some actual physiological condition that just did not allow him to burn off the fat he had been trying to do all season? In my limited knowledge, I always assumed that those guys were kept to a very strict eating plan in the home, but I guess not. It seems that they can eat whatever the heck they want, including junk food.

BTW: I like Corey. He has a good attitude.:biggrinthumb: I don’t know what his future holds in the UFC, but for now I think he’s pretty cool and is a hard worker. He and Cole Miller are the only ones I like from Team Pulver. Personally, I would train hard and listen like Corey does as opposed to skipping practice and choosing what Gabe went to do.
Those who watch the show know what I mean.:bolt:
Also, I thought that Andy Wang’s performance last week was pitiful. He did everything wrong including not listening to his corner. No wonder he lost his match.
OK, I’m done gripping for now.:cussing: :happy:
Old 05-04-2007, 07:41 AM   #2
Neil Khant

Profile:
It all comes down to discipline.

Not sure how Gabe was picked to be on the show, but I never saw any determination or drive.

He wanted to skate through. Him asking the guys to put him back into the sauna said it all for me. He never tried to get back in...he wanted them to put him back in.

The amount he had to loose in that short period of time was too much. But if he had started watching his weight by eating right a long time before he wouldn't have had to do that. It is people like that that give wrestlers and fighters a bad wrap. Most that cut weight keep a strict diet and cut the last few on the weigh in time.

He is a bad example for anyone.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:00 AM   #3
Bryan Gollhofer

Profile:
Even if he had gotten his weight down via them throwing back in the sauna he would have been worthless in a fight. I thought it was kinda pathetic actually. Hopefully the show gets better over the next couple of weeks.

You would think that along with the great coaching and training they get for fighting, that some nutritional coaching would be available. Not that they would all go along with it, but it seems that after they leave the gym they are on their own to eat and drink whatever they want.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:54 AM   #4
Evan Fitts

Profile:
I agree with Bryan. I would have loved to have seen him make weight. He would have been gassed in about 10 seconds, and Corey (not that I really care to see Corey win) would have cracked him to sleep early.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:56 AM   #5
Evan Fitts

Profile:
One other response to Bryan--I think the weight issues on Team Penn probably start from the top down. There's no way BJ weighs less than 170 in these shows (he probably weighs just as much as Gabe). Look at a picture of him when he fought at 155. He looks completely different. That said, I can't wait to see BJ and Jens go at it. BJ is one of my favorite fighters, and he always puts on a good show.

(Message edited by efitts on May 04, 2007)
Old 05-04-2007, 09:24 AM   #6
Damon Stewart

Profile:
I thought it was a great episode. I watch TUF with my 10 yr old son (with judicious use of the FF on my DVR) and yesterday was a great lesson in what the cost of low self-discipline is. He's known since week 1 he had a weight problem and made no effort (unless you count the colonic) to get it down. I wrestled and cut weight, I know how tough it is mentally but it starts long before you get into the sauna. Gabe Ruediger now has the distinction of being the first person in the UFC to be knocked out with a body punch and the first TUF competitor not to make weight.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:39 AM   #7
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Gabe has a history of difficulty making weight.

When he fought Hermes Franca in the WEC he barely made weight. At the first weigh in he was over and had to go use the extra allowed hour to cook in the sauna and lose the remaining weight. He stated to the media that he learned his lesson about weight cutting.

When he fought Guillard in the UFC and everyone commented how Gabe looked so soft physically, he blamed dietary issues and claimed he learned his lesson.

Now we've seen him finally push it too far and not make weight - and again say he learned a lesson.

In regards to BJ -- he hasn't fought at 155lbs in a while. He actually looks trimmer on the show than he has for a bit, or when I've seen him in person in the past -- most likely in anticipation of fighting at 155 again in the near future.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:47 AM   #8
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Lauzon has a blog that's pretty interesting - he writes an update every week after the show airs. You can read it at this link (work/family safe):

http://sports.bostonherald.com/ufc/v...ticleid=198564
Old 05-04-2007, 09:49 AM   #9
Peter Queen

Profile:
"Gabe Ruediger now has the distinction of being the first person in the UFC to be knocked out with a body punch....."
Wow, did'nt know that.
So do you think that all of those tears he kept shedding (what seemed like every episode) this season were some sort of psychological cry for help? Perhaps a little couch time might have helped also. The show has been on now for how many seasons...4,5? You'd think that everyone wanting to go on might be a little more knowledgeable on what to expect going in. For me, it would have been more honorable to get my arse kicked in the octagon as opposed to getting kicked out due to the fact that I was a fat-arse. At least those who have lost so far still get to stay in the house. Even Andy, as I mentioned before, who put on a sad performance at least stayed in shape and made it to the fight.
Andy....speaking of shedding tears.:crybaby0:
Old 05-04-2007, 09:52 AM   #10
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Andy is a good guy - he trained at Petranek Fitness with us a couple times. He is very bullheaded and freely admits that -- he wrote a really funny post on mma.tv after that show aired. He said he was hoping for a Kleenex sponsorship! lol