CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:27 AM   #1
Paul Mirek

Profile:
I was thinking a step beyond CrossFit T-shirts here, but how many of you have tattoos? I've noticed that CrossFit tends to be a tattoo-rich community. However, some people have moral objections to tattoos or deem them unnecessary. I'm considering getting a tattoo, but I wanted to pick your brains a little.

Share your favorite tattoo or tattoo idea! I'm also taking a poll of people's opinions on my blog. If your willing to take a second, go to http://mrmirek.blogspot.com (w/f safe, totally) and take the poll on the right hand column. It'll be there for a week.

Thanks! I can't wait to hear/see some of your creative ideas and know your opinions!

http://mrmirek.blogspot.com (totally work and family safe)

(Message edited by mrmirek00 on August 02, 2007)
Old 08-02-2007, 10:55 AM   #2
Lisa Quinn

Profile:
How can mere ink be morally objective? Possibly the image or message but the tatoo idea itself?
I have several and was just wondering today, after leaving the gym from doing "Jason", how cool would it be to have CF bumpersticker let alone a tatoo! I like the idea~ how about making it 'earned', self induced, once reaching a certain goal/level you get one?
Old 08-02-2007, 11:44 AM   #3
Nick Cruz

Profile:
Id like to piggy back onto this discussion if I may. How does one go about finding an artist to put on skin what you have in your mind? I have a pretty vivid idea of what I want but I dont know how to find the right artist to make it a reality.

There was a front page picture a month or so ago with someone who got pukie the clown put on his chest. Thats commitment right there!

Old 08-02-2007, 02:15 PM   #4
Paul Mirek

Profile:
I agree that I'd really like to find an individual who has the artistic ability to put my vivid thoughts down in picture form. But maybe that's getting a bit off topic there. Moral objection Lisa--> some individuals follow the Bible to the "T" and in the book of Leviticus is states that individuals should not scar or mark their bodies in any way. However, we may need to understand the context of that in order to make a sound judgement. (A friend of mine left a comment on my blog...that might clear some of the air on the moral objection bit)

CrossFit Tattoos: Not sure if I could get a CrossFit-specific tattoo. Yes, a Pukie the Clown tattoo is quite committed.

http://mrmirek.blogspot.com (w/f safe)
Old 08-02-2007, 04:07 PM   #5
Bryan Gollhofer

Profile:
Nick,

From experience I can tell you that you need to look around and find an artist or place with a style you are looking for. Since you are not far away I can recommend a great place in Sunset Beach, all of the guys there are good and I am sure you can get them to put it down on paper for you. PM me if your interested, they permanently marked me and I am very happy with the work.

Good luck!

Lisa,

I too am waiting for those bumper stickers! What's up HQ?? Put those in the CF store and I bet they would sell fast!
Old 08-02-2007, 04:18 PM   #6
John Seiler

Profile:
I too am waiting for those bumper stickers! What's up HQ?? Put those in the CF store and I bet they would sell fast!

Not to mention promoting the CF revolution!

In fact, those transparent window decals that run across the top the window would be even cooler.

(Message edited by John_Seiler on August 02, 2007)
Old 08-02-2007, 05:09 PM   #7
Aaron Carr

Profile:
My challenge with tattoos doesn't relate to moral objection but to practical. I get bored looking at or doing the same thing day after day (it is one of the reasons I like Crossfit). Plus, I once saw a mermaid on an old sailor. I imagine it looked like a beautiful mermaid at the beginning. When I saw it 25 years later it looked a lot more like a hipo with malformed legs that had just met uncle pukie . I think that cured any desire I might have had. Different strokes for different folks.

I would buy a transparent window decal.

(Message edited by Icuban on August 02, 2007)
Old 08-02-2007, 05:20 PM   #8
Lisa Quinn

Profile:
Transparent decals, nice idea Bryan. So when are you going to take the idea to HQ?:-)
Nick, everytime I've gotten a tattoo it was after knowing what I wanted then as going about day to day life, seeing peoples tattoo that I liked and asking them who/where did it..
Hey Paul, I understand what you meant about people thinking tattoos are morally offensive from what they know about the bible and I agree with you, people need to read scripture in context, who was writing what to whom and when...those people might want to look into ALL the references about tatoos in the bible, ie Revelations. ANYWAY...not sure I would want a pukie clown on me to represent CF, not sure how he would age, you know, like the mermaid on the sailor:-)
Old 08-02-2007, 06:11 PM   #9
David Sailor

Profile:
Along with bumper stickers and the transparent decals, I think HQ should get those washable tatoos like you see in the beach volleyball tournaments. They wear them for branding and advertising. Imagine a group of Crossfitters showing up at a road race all with the same logo on their shoulder!
Old 08-02-2007, 06:16 PM   #10
David Long

Profile:
I have a pretty large tattoo on each shoulder/upper bicep. One is a celtic symbol for unity the other a chinese character for eternity. My family hates them, my wife tolerates them. They are vivid and very though out. I put suncreen on to keep them fresh. I don't know if I would get a CF tattoo. I think the individual has to put what THEY want on their body. in terms of an artist. Ask people who have ink you like where they went. Talk to the artist, if they seem to have an image of what you want..go for it.