CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-05-2007, 07:00 PM   #1
Tom Ellison

Profile:
Here goes - This has been something I've had for as long as I can remember, but basically every one of my joints cracks or pops in some way. Rotating shoulders, extending elbows, extending the spine, rolling neck, rolling the ankles/wrists, "shaking out" my knees...all of it causes some kind of popping or cracking sensation. Depending on the joint, it might happen just once in a while, or every time the motion is performed.

There seem to be two kinds of "popping" or "cracking". One is like cracking a knuckle, where there is a sound and after it's done it can't be done again until it kind of builds back up. It's like this in my knees and elbows. Others do not go away. They don't make a sound, but I can feel the popping. For example, if I do shoulder rotations I can feel my shoulder popping with every rotation.

I've asked a doctor about it, they say as long as it doesn't hurt it's not a problem. It's just disconcerting and weird. I was wondering if it might also be associated with occassional minor aches and pain I get in my shoulders, elbows, knees and back. I was searching the board about supplements, heard some things about fish oil and glucosamine...don't know if that applies to my situation. I'd appreciate any thoughts... I don't want to have ruined joints before age 25 or something!
Old 03-07-2007, 07:24 AM   #2
Garrett Smith

Profile:
First thing first.

Get any and all nightshades out of your diet. This includes all tomato, potato, peppers, and eggplant. Search the board and web for more info, and I'd highly suggest you get the diet book from www.noarthritis.com .

Cracking and popping, while not a problem in and of itself, is a sign that other things (degeneration and excessive inflammation) are occuring.

I'd suggest you try this approach *very strictly* for at least 4-6 weeks and carefully observe the amount of cracking/popping that is occurring as time goes on.

Believe it or not.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:39 AM   #3
Tom Ellison

Profile:
Thanks for the tips. I don't think I want to buy a book on this, but is avoiding tomato, potato, peppers and eggplant essentially all this consists of? I'd be more than willing to try that, I just want to make sure there isn't something I'm missing or more foods I should avoid.

Tom
Old 03-07-2007, 12:51 PM   #4
Garrett Smith

Profile:
All types and colors of tomato
All potatoes except for sweet potatoes and yams
All peppers (sweet, bell, jalapeno, paprika, cayenne) except for freshly ground peppercorns
Eggplant

Two of the types of nightshades that are becoming more popular these days:
Goji berries (sold as a health food)
Cape gooseberries (sold dried at TJ's)

It's mainly a matter of reading ingredient labels and avoiding foods that you know contain them when no labels are present (ie. Mexican or Italian dishes that contain nightshades).

That's the main list.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:56 PM   #5
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
aaaaaaahh!!!!! I'd die if I couldn't eat cayenne.

Well, not really, since I always eat it with Thai food, and since the Zone, I've kinda shunned Thai food (it's either all noodles, or served with rice, etc) and the taste is pretty strong without rice if you don't add it.

Regarding your problem: I don't think it would hurt to try glucosamine, but if every joint is doing that, you might have some sort of underlying problem. I don't think it's normal to have EVERY joint crack.

With joints that always crack, it might be a joint out of alignment, or a supporting/stabilizing muscle weakness, or another supporting/stabilizing muscle is too tight, etc... These are things Physical Therapists can check on. You might be able to clear up some of the "always" cracks joints at a Physical Therapist. Ask around and see if they'll give you a free evaluation to see if they can do something for you.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:45 AM   #6
Robert Olajos

Profile:
I have very similar popping and cracking, especially knees and shoulders. My PT is working on 'postural reeducation' as well as stretching/massaging trigger points, strengthening core muscles, and correcting hyperflexibility. I'm seeing some improvements. I was also on glucosamine, but have stopped. As for postural reeducation, that's hard! I had no idea how I keep my left shoulder permanently tense, or how my shoulders always slouch forward. Even now that I'm aware of it I have to keep reminding myself, all the time, to relax and keep my shoulder blades down. Bottom line, see a PT. I'll try avoiding nightshades too.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:22 PM   #7
Bob Pratt

Profile:
all good sugestions,
my knees and ankles crack, my PT says no problem. my left SI 'thunks' this he says is a problem and i'm also doing postural re-education, (no party after 48yrs of slouching)
one hint from the guys at M2 [maximum mobility]:
check your posture whenever you look at a clock or a mirror. For me that's a couple hundred times a day.

ratt
Old 03-12-2007, 11:51 AM   #8
Dave Henry

Profile:
I have no medical experience, but i can tell you from personal experience that I had buckled my shoulder and woke up the next day with frozen shoulder 4inches of movement max. after the anti-inflamitory stuff i took and stretching i got most of my range of motion back (hard work) but when i would roll my shoulder around it would pop occasionally and sometimes re injure when under load or doing an explosive movement (like a throw) since doing CF but more spesifically OHS, pullups, static hang, headstands ect. I have experienced all the popping gone away 100% Ive had the same thing except no injury before but popping in my knees go away with the squats... my depiction of this is an over streatched tendon snapping back and forth around your joint and the solution being fill that space with muscle and it has nowhere else to go. and thus you are stronger and no poping... I really had to make it a focus, and now i would say my shoulders are much stronger than pre-injury aswell I have more flexability...
dont bite off more than you can chew baby steps over time are better than leaping and injuring
Old 03-12-2007, 09:01 PM   #9
Tom Ellison

Profile:
That's interesting. How long of a period did it take for your shoulder to go from popping to zero popping? And how often were you doing CF stuff?

And in regards to the other comments, I'm on spring break now but I'll probably contact a PT when I get back. I definitely don't have great posture...don't know if it is causing any of these problems but it's worth getting checked out just for the sake of standing up straight, right?

Thanks for the advice everyone, more info is always good.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:55 PM   #10
Dave Henry

Profile:
well i spent about 6mo on recovery with rubber bands and wierd rotator cuff machines and other things... this helped, then i went into my usual workout routine, staying away from certain things because of worries about re injure.... then I found crossfit and needed to get my chin-ups up for an army course I was going on. I have been doing CF for about 1 year now, but the major changes have been since I went to the certification seminar in dec... form is so key....
my shoulders are naturally rolled forward and since they have been moving back into the right position... and I went from doing 1-2 chinups to doing 3 Muscle ups on rings actually tonight...

Do you have trouble doing chins/pulls and standing press, (shoulder active excersizes)???