CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-24-2007, 03:10 PM   #1
Justin Swalberg

Profile:
Hi everyone,

About 2 months ago, when I was just starting to learn how to snatch, I snatched too much weight over my head using bad form: I used my shoulders to “rotate” the weight up over my head instead of raising the weight vertically using my legs/traps and getting under the bar. I instantly felt a pain in my left shoulder and stopped lifting, hoping it would go away. It just felt like your average “tweak.”

2 months later, I still have pain in my shoulder. Let me try to describe it. When I let my arm hang loose by my side, I can push on the side of my shoulder (towards the front, right where the front deltoid and the side deltoid meet) and feel something move and click. I cannot do this on my right shoulder. The pain originates where that clicking/moving thing is. I can feel pain in my shoulder simply by bringing my elbow back and away from my body and twisting my side deltoid into my front deltoid.

I can do heavy deadlifts, cleans, and squats even with this injury, although some positions/movements do cause pain, such as pull-ups if I’m not careful. It seems that dips are what cause the most pain. Since the injury hasn’t been getting better, I have decided not to do any more exercises until I figure out how to heal this shoulder properly.

I plan on seeing a doctor soon about this (in the next couple of weeks), but before I do, what do you all recommend?

Thank you in advance,
Justin
Old 01-24-2007, 07:51 PM   #2
Peter Howarth

Profile:
Justin.Sounds like it could be a rotator cuff injury,probably the subscap as its hurting with medial rotation, with pain near the top of the humerus.Thats only what I think,I'm no doctor but I wouldn't be waiting 2 more weeks to get treatment.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:36 PM   #3
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Take more fish oil...cut out all sugar
Old 01-26-2007, 01:57 PM   #4
Patrick Paul

Profile:
i had a similar condition, still do, from 4/06. i went to a chiropractor and felt it get popped back into place and have been steadily improving since. before i hurt it i was doing 10 chin ups per set, after i lost major ground on chin ups and push-ups were even worse, major clunking. now i'm coming back slowly and attribute it all to the chiro.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:06 PM   #5
Justin Swalberg

Profile:
Is/was there a lot of pain associated with your shoulder problem, Patrick?
Old 01-27-2007, 08:31 PM   #6
Daniel Miller

Profile:
Justin,

2 months is really getting to the point where you need to make a choice concerning rest and/or seeing an osteopath or an sports-doc.