CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-06-2007, 08:28 AM   #21
Amy Crawford

Profile:
A friend is a hunter, and he'd probably get a deer for us this fall if we ask. And I am definitely not going to force anything on anyone in my family ... just not worth it. Our daughters already have a pretty healthy diet, and I'm not going to become the mean food mommy on this! I did get the evil eye from the grocery store clerk earlier this week because I wouldn't let my 2 and 4 year olds have lillipops at 9:30 in the morning!!! Ha!

Again, thanks for the suggestions. I think I will send DH (darling or damned husband, depending on the day, usually darling!!) on a recon. I buy almonds and the like from our local NFS, and I'm a member getting 15% off. So I pay about $5.10 a pound ... too much compaired to costco. Is there a membership fee?
Old 06-06-2007, 09:25 AM   #22
Michael Tong

Profile:
Ron - thanks for that tip. I never thought of that. I will ask a few game processors to see if they ever have any unclaimed meat.

Amy - Membership at my store was $50/yr, but you get a $20 in store gift card right away. So, $30 for the first year, and $50 for every other year (assuming they don't give me any additional offers).

Old 06-06-2007, 03:34 PM   #23
Ryan Tonkinson

Profile:
Costco is great. Just take a budget and a calculator with you. It is VERY easy to overspend there because everything seems like a bargain and it usualy is.

Don't go for the executive/ presidents card. There is a cash back piece (and you can shop an hour earlier than regular card holders) but the average family will not recoup the added cost of the upgraded card.

Costco also has one of the most liberal return policies I have ever seen.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:06 PM   #24
George Mounce

Profile:
My father in law is an avid hunter, and when I get to Mississippi I hunt as well. Best turkey is WILD. Don't let anyone tell you different. Venison is lean and great for you, and...very easy to get!
(Hunting for meat and hunting for racks are two different things completely, a true rack hunter will pass on many many shots.)

My wife's dad also is a taxidermist and many of the trophy hunters want the rack off the deer but he ends up with all the meat as they bring him the deer whole and he cleans them. He ends up with enough deer meat each season from his own hunting and from his taxidermy work to fill his freezer for the entire YEAR. No kidding. (My wife had never eaten beef till she met me, and to this day refuses to eat it since her one encounter. She loves venison too much! Luckily for me I get it in vacuum packs throughout the year from her family.) So don't be afraid to ask a taxidermist if you end up sending a deer their way if they have extra meat laying around. You might just be able to buy yourself some good stuff a great prices.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:53 AM   #25
Michael Manseau

Profile:
Ben,
I would like to see that chart. I usually do my shopping based on the flyers & your chart could come in very handy

Mike
Old 06-10-2007, 07:08 AM   #26
Scott Clark

Profile:

I'm not 100% strict Paleo, so I don't find that eating "Paleo-ish" is anymore expensive than anything else. What I mean by not being 100% is that I still eat green beans, whey protein, and a lot of canned chicken/tuna. I don't eat grains and dairy (outside of the whey) and that alone says a heap of money.

Ben, that deal on the 15oz salmon sounds like a winner there. Is the taste decent? Or is it just worth shoveling down because of the Omega 3s? :happy:
Old 07-17-2007, 06:01 PM   #27
Jeff Chalfant

Profile:
I'm trying to help my roommate eat healthy zone/paleo style but he only has $154 a month and that is in food stamps so farmers markets are off limits, do you thik he can eat healthy?