CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-13-2007, 05:07 PM   #1
Nikki Young

Profile:
Hey guys, i have a question on a client who participates in some group training i do. I really want to help her out but i'm a bit stumped on what the 'problem' may be and would love some opinions!

She's having problems losing body fat. She's hardly ever feeling hungry and is training really hard (2-3 times a week with her personal trainer, 3 times at my group exercise session [high intensity]), but now over 5 weeks of starting up with personal training and stuff, she's lost about 500grams. She still has a fairly high amount of body fat to lose (probably a good 20-30kg), but apparently has lost around 30kg of fat over the last year. Her diet is something like this; 2 weetbix with skim milk and a piece of fruit. Lunch- She's not hungry but will try and get down a small bowl of salad, occasionally with some chicken. Dinner - Still not hungry but knows she should eat, and generally has a meat source with veggies on the side. So she's really only getting around 1000 calories a day! Come around lunch time she gets quite fatigued, this could be from lack of food.. but also maybe thyroid issue?

She also mentioned she takes Omega3's (not sure how many but i have given her a recomended dose of 10-20g) and 4 kelp tablets a day, which i presume equals around 600*mg iodine, she wasn't sure on the amount and i'm not sure how long she's been taking this dosage for.

Would love your thoughts on this as in my brief exposure to reading up on thyroid i presume this could be something she needs looked at and could be the un-delying cause for her not seeing any real results in body composition even when eating hardly any calories and exercises 5-6days a week. I'm also suprised with her lack of protein consumption, she hasn't lost scale weight in the form of muscle mass (?)
Old 05-13-2007, 05:33 PM   #2
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
Nikki, is she sleeping sufficiently? Maybe recommend she get the book "Lights Out."

Then I defer to the experts here on the boards!
Old 05-13-2007, 06:26 PM   #3
Scott Clark

Profile:

For starters she isn't eating enough. Secondly, aside from the fruit her breakfast is comprised of crap. Sleep is a big issue, but she needs to start eating. I wouldn't even worry about a thyroid issue until she's tried a quality diet and gets the proper rest.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:44 PM   #4
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Nikki,
Did we talk about this on the other board?

6 kelp tabs is definitely only 600mcg of iodine, not 600mg...
Old 05-13-2007, 06:45 PM   #5
Kevin McKay

Profile:
I agree with Scott, get her to eat some
meat vegetables a little bit of nuts and berries and see what happens, should drop rapidly.

(Message edited by kmckay on May 13, 2007)
Old 05-13-2007, 08:08 PM   #6
Nikki Young

Profile:
Thanks guys! Yes Garret we did slightly! Although only really touched on the possibility of an iodine and thyroid issue, i wanted to get a bit of a broader idea before approaching that area as the #1 possibility. (and yes 600mcg you're right!)

I understand the whole needing to eat more thing, and her diet is dodgy for what she does actually consume. But there has to be a reason behind her not being hungry, like, she's physically feeling full all day every day. There has to be something going on there to make her not hungry?
Would adding an extra 1000calories (slowly) be beneficial in that is just helps her body function properly to be able to burn off the stored fat?

Also, is there a chance in her doing this, that over the first couple of weeks or so she would put on some kilo's, even just slightly? Cause telling someone who doesn't eat anything to eat to lose weight is always a hard task, but if there's possibility of water retention or something over the first few weeks it would be good to know about so if it does happen i can let her know it's not a bad thing!