CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2011, 02:54 PM   #21
Adam Castagno
Member Adam Castagno is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Norwood  MA
Posts: 172
Re: Caffeine and Creatine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Carlson View Post
Adam - just wanted to point out that Chris is someone who knows his stuff with nutrition, supplements, and training. Google him in conjunction with phrases like 'nutrition', 'training', or 'west-side barbell' and see what you get.

Not trying to talk down to anyone, just wanting to point out who one of our posters is.
I am not doubting he knows his stuff, and I did realize who I was talking with when I posted my response, sit down and let the grown up talk, JK...

I am not doubting the effects of creatine and do realize that it is ergogenic, however my argument was that I felt it yes did work for me, however wasn't all that great. Maybe because through diet I got enough, and what I took in just ****ed out of me, who knows? I have tried several different types, and yes gained strength and some size/weight I felt when I was off of it, within months results were not the same...
Where as taking a protein supplement your not putting something ergogenic into your system but rather something that is going to build new cells/tissues AKA recovery/results what have you.

Listen Chris devotes his life to this stuff, through research his companies etc... all I am saying is I somewhat disagree with his statement. I learn something everyday, and hope Chris can come back and teach me something... heck maybe I will get back on creatine if he does... till then Whey is all I need. Heck he owns a sports supp. company, of course he is going to want to push products on people more $ in his pocket
__________________
The only easy day was yesterday!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:24 PM   #22
Adam Carlson
Member Adam Carlson is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Higashikurume  Tokyo
Posts: 833
Re: Caffeine and Creatine

Good to hear your response. There was one time that someone tried to tell John Welbourne how things were in the NFL, and it was pretty embarrassing for them (hilarious for the rest) when he finally figured out who he had tried to educate
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:24 PM   #23
Chris Mason
Banned Chris Mason is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Charlottesville  VA
Posts: 4,708
Re: Caffeine and Creatine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Castagno View Post
Ehhh, sorta... If your diet is in check and you are getting the correct amount of high quality protein throughout the day then yes you probably would not benefit from a protein supplement, however whey's are always a great choice pwo due to its fast digestion.

To say Creatine is a much better supplement than protein is a little extreme, and I honestly doubt to be true... we should do a poll on it.
Adam, it is not extreme at all, it is the TRUTH.

Do you think a protein shake is absorbed quickly because of its liquid state and that is why it would be superior to a food? Can you clarify your protein shake position?
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:30 PM   #24
Chris Mason
Banned Chris Mason is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Charlottesville  VA
Posts: 4,708
Re: Caffeine and Creatine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Castagno View Post
I am not doubting he knows his stuff, and I did realize who I was talking with when I posted my response, sit down and let the grown up talk, JK...

I am not doubting the effects of creatine and do realize that it is ergogenic, however my argument was that I felt it yes did work for me, however wasn't all that great. Maybe because through diet I got enough, and what I took in just ****ed out of me, who knows? I have tried several different types, and yes gained strength and some size/weight I felt when I was off of it, within months results were not the same...
Where as taking a protein supplement your not putting something ergogenic into your system but rather something that is going to build new cells/tissues AKA recovery/results what have you.

Listen Chris devotes his life to this stuff, through research his companies etc... all I am saying is I somewhat disagree with his statement. I learn something everyday, and hope Chris can come back and teach me something... heck maybe I will get back on creatine if he does... till then Whey is all I need. Heck he owns a sports supp. company, of course he is going to want to push products on people more $ in his pocket
Oh, and FYI, I make more money on my protein products that I do my Creatine 500 (which is pure monohydrate). I make VERY little on the mono. So, if you were correct that money was my motivating factor for recommending creatine over protein then I would be a business moron. While I may very well be a business moron, I'm not THAT much of one...

YOU may not be someone that should use creatine because there IS a percentage of the population that will not respond to it, or will see little benefit from its use. That may be you. You need to realize you are a tree in the forest. What works for you may or may not work well for the masses.

You should only use protein supplements as supplements of convenience OR when you are on a hypo-caloric diet where they can be a superior source of high quality protein with the lowest possible (more or less) caloric count per gram ingested.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:44 PM   #25
Blair Robert Lowe
Member Blair Robert Lowe is offline
 
Blair Robert Lowe's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sacramento  CA
Posts: 7,948
Re: Caffeine and Creatine

Chris, do you know if that population has ever been tested as individuals who also ingest a LOT of protein or aminos?
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:59 AM   #26
Adam Castagno
Member Adam Castagno is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Norwood  MA
Posts: 172
Re: Caffeine and Creatine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Adam, it is not extreme at all, it is the TRUTH.

Do you think a protein shake is absorbed quickly because of its liquid state and that is why it would be superior to a food? Can you clarify your protein shake position?
No it is not because of the liquid state, but rather that whey is a faster digesting protein and that in mot cases it happens to be found in a liquid state, only making it that much quicker to be absorbed. Plus these type of supplements are structurally simpler than a whole food, making them quicker to be used by the body. Also the proteins that are used for post workout nutrition have better amino acid profiles than whole foods, with the exception to eggs I believe. As well as the ability for manufacturers to tweak certain AA's which may be more crucial post work out than others.

We could also get into a whole other arguments about the other nutrients which are need post work out, along with nutrients to avoid but that is another topic.

Now what is your argument that you feel creatine is a superior supplement over a whey protein, or protein for that matter?
__________________
The only easy day was yesterday!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:06 AM   #27
Adam Castagno
Member Adam Castagno is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Norwood  MA
Posts: 172
Re: Caffeine and Creatine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Oh, and FYI, I make more money on my protein products that I do my Creatine 500 (which is pure monohydrate). I make VERY little on the mono. So, if you were correct that money was my motivating factor for recommending creatine over protein then I would be a business moron. While I may very well be a business moron, I'm not THAT much of one...

YOU may not be someone that should use creatine because there IS a percentage of the population that will not respond to it, or will see little benefit from its use. That may be you. You need to realize you are a tree in the forest. What works for you may or may not work well for the masses.

You should only use protein supplements as supplements of convenience OR when you are on a hypo-caloric diet where they can be a superior source of high quality protein with the lowest possible (more or less) caloric count per gram ingested.
Just to clarify I did not mean to say you were pushing creatine over protein, I just meant you probably were not going to talk down about any supplement, especially one in which you sell. I am not surprised your protein sales out number creatine sales, I feel the majority of people do not use creatine as much or at all when compared with protein supps.

As for myself, looking back on my usage of creatine over the 8-10 yrs I had used it (off and on) I feel that yes while on it I did have gains, but like I mentioned they did fade with time. I do feel I responded to it, but overall thought it was somewhat of a waste, especially monohydrates, there are a LOT of inferior ones out there.

I do always believe whole food is superior to protein from supplements, however I do feel a supplement like whey protein has its time and places, such as PWO. Of course their convenience is also a plus in times where you can not take in whole foods, or to help offset costs etc as you mentioned.

I am sure your no business fool, and once again did not mean for it to sound like you were trying to make more $ with this argument.
__________________
The only easy day was yesterday!
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Switching from Creatine Ethyl Ester to Creatine Monohydrate Jake Kozlowski Nutrition 11 07-12-2011 04:40 AM
Caffeine? Ken Whetham Nutrition 14 01-04-2009 11:44 PM
Started zone.. caffeine/creatine? Francisco Rodriguez Nutrition 15 03-14-2007 04:14 PM
Information About Caffeine Ryan Kirk Nutrition 1 05-05-2006 12:03 PM
How many here use caffeine? Michael Forge Nutrition 43 03-26-2006 04:01 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.