CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-28-2011, 08:47 AM   #1
Jeffrey S Engelhardt

Profile:
Separating strength and metcons

I've been on a strength bias schedule for some time now, and I've loved the improvements I've seen in every area of my fitness. My workouts have been structured as follows: MWF strength + metcon, TTh gymnastic strength (ring work, core stability, hspu, etc.) + metcon, Sa metcon.

Recently, however, due to some scheduling difficulties, I've been considering separating the strength and metcon portions, with strength in the morning (8am) and metcons in the evening (6pm.) My concern is that my body would be in too much of a recovery mode by the evening to garner all of the usual benefits from the daily metcon. Even if I'm not feeling tired or sore, will I be able to perform at my highest level?

What are the thoughts on this approach?

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 07-28-2011, 08:53 AM   #2
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:
Re: Separating strength and metcons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey S Engelhardt View Post
Even if I'm not feeling tired or sore, will I be able to perform at my highest level?
Well, the people over at CF Endurance seem to think so. They like to do Strength in the mornings and metcons or endurance work in the evenings. I have heard of other people switching it around.

What exactly are your goals?
Old 07-28-2011, 09:13 AM   #3
Greg Pellegrini

Profile:

As Lawrence said it depends on your goals. How heavy are your strength workouts? If you are doing heavy O-lifts, your body may need the rest of the day to recover and a metcon can hinder this recovery. A key part in any program is rest; it's when your muscles recover and get stronger.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:42 PM   #4
Jeffrey S Engelhardt

Profile:

Specifically I would like to get back on the Wendler 5-3-1 program. I have had a great experience with it in the past, and only got off of it in the last few months for a change of pace.

All-around strength is my goal here. When I started CrossFitting a few years ago, I came from a running/endurance background, so strength has always been a struggle for me. I've managed to get to a level where I usually have to choose between doing WODs Rx'ed at a slightly slower pace or scaling slightly and ripping through them. In the interest of strength I have typically tried to go Rx'ed whenever possible. I can see my potential, and strength this the biggest obstacle in my way.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:47 PM   #5
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Are you planning on doing a full Wendler 5/3/1--meaning a primary lift then 3-4 accesory movements for 3-4 sets? Or do the basic movement in the morning and then a metcon in the evening?

If your goal is overall strength, I'd lean on first:
Wendler 5/3/1 in the AM with accessory work 3-4xweek
then 2-3 short metcons a week. Keep most under 10 minutes.

But, if you love metcons, you could try:
Wendler 5/3/1 in the AM with limited accesory work
then 3-4 short metcons a week.

Suttly different. I've been splitting some of my strength workout and metcons for a couple months now, and just feel fresher most of the time for the metcon compared to doing a metcon after a heavy squat or deadlift day.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:59 PM   #6
Jeffrey S Engelhardt

Profile:

Thanks for the input, Rob. I was planning on mainly the primary lift with the 5-3-1, 3-4x per week, and keeping up on the skill/gymnastic work on the other days.

I totally feel you on cutting back a bit on the metcons. One of the factors that got me off the 5-3-1 was that I started to ramp my metcons back up and got myself into a situation where I was feeling overtrained.