CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-18-2011, 05:42 PM   #1
Ramon Gomez

Profile:
"Off" days

How frequently do you have "off" days, where your performance is not quite what it should be, and it's noticeable to you? How many times does it have to recur before you get concerned?

I was doing yesterday's CFFB workout (for time: 5 rounds of 7 315lb deadlifts and 21 double-unders), and in the middle of round 3, right after putting the DL bar down, I got an intense headache. It was bad enough that I couldn't do much but wait for it to pass (which took about 45-60 seconds). I finished the round, but didn't go back to the deadlifts because the headache still lingered.
This is the first time this has happened, and I'm thinking I shouldn't be concerned if it doesn't happen again; just might be an off day, or I was working way harder than I thought I was and had run out of blood/brain oxygen.

Am I right to not be worried (yet)?
Old 05-18-2011, 10:28 PM   #2
Brent Sallee

Profile:
Re: "Off" days

Yeah, definitely wouldn't be worried, especially with deadlifts. You likely peaked and then dropped your blood pressure, resulting in the headache OR your traps were getting so tight/too much of a pump, resulting in a tension headache. It could've even been an exercise induced headache. All of these problems aren't very worrisome. I bet it's related to the trap - try some foam rolling. If you hit a lot of tough tissue and trigger points, working some of that out will help avoid this in the future. Nice job on that WOD though. Sounds like a beast.