CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-06-2010, 03:57 PM   #21
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: progenex information

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jaeckel View Post
What I don't get about about supplements vis a vis Crossfit is what (with regard to CF) are you trying to achieveó becoming more CrossFit?

I mean if you're trying to be more lean, then CF might not be the best way to get there.

If you're trying to get lean and big, again, CF as a training protocol, might not be the best way to get there.

I just don't see why (or how) you would supplement for CF when the goal of CF is just really overall fitness and health.

Yes, I can see fish oil because it is so hard to get adequate (from a human bio-anthropology perspective) amounts of animal-derived Omega 3 in the everyday modern diet.
Because CrossFit has created their own modality and people are competitive by nature thus they want to compete with each other in said modality. The RIGHT supplements can aid CF performance.

Beyond that, some supplements can benefit one's health (fish oil comes to mind immediately).
Old 08-07-2010, 07:27 PM   #22
Jordan K Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jaeckel View Post
What I don't get about about supplements vis a vis Crossfit is what (with regard to CF) are you trying to achieveó becoming more CrossFit?

I mean if you're trying to be more lean, then CF might not be the best way to get there.

If you're trying to get lean and big, again, CF as a training protocol, might not be the best way to get there.

I just don't see why (or how) you would supplement for CF when the goal of CF is just really overall fitness and health.

Yes, I can see fish oil because it is so hard to get adequate (from a human bio-anthropology perspective) amounts of animal-derived Omega 3 in the everyday modern diet.

im leaner and bigger than i've ever been since dedicating to crossfit, and i had been working out for almost 2 years before starting.

on a separate note, supplements that help you recover quicker carry over into you being able to build stregth and endurance faster by reducing recovery time which will both still be improved if the supplement is suddenly taken away. so as long as the supps are just high concentrations of things that naturally occur in certain foods (whey and creatine), why not? and i find when performance improves, the motivation to perform increases, which usually leads to a healthier life style (less drinking, eating crap, smoking etc).
Old 08-07-2010, 09:41 PM   #23
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

http://blairbob.wordpress.com/2010/0...owth-recovery/

It's actually WFS which is rare for me. No cursing or sexual innuendo.

Whey Hydrosalate+ a whole lot of Leucine. Recovery has 15.2g of Leucine per serving. That's way more than most whey protein doses have. Unfortunately, reading the website now, I can't find that important fact or any of those.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:31 AM   #24
Jon Gregory

Profile:

I just ordered a tub of "muscle" and a tub of "recovery" from Ascend Sports here in Australia (they supply Progenex). This will be an essentially blind test given that I currently use no supp's at all. I'm going to start out using the recovery supp after a real hard WOD and see if the effect is notable then I'll give the muscle supp a run and use the recovery on the harder days. Should be interesting to see if its worth the cash!
Old 08-18-2010, 01:04 PM   #25
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I've only tried it once (through one of the small bottles that attach to a water bottle) and then hit a 531 workout after some metcon (not my preferable order but I was at my friend's box).
Old 08-18-2010, 01:13 PM   #26
Andrew D White

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Buckelew View Post
I agree with you here, and was disappointed with the above statement that some affiliates sell this brand of protein.

I do appreciate how much they support crossfit, but also appreciate crossfit because it doesn't try to pitch anything with a brand name at me.
Yep.
When CF becomes cobranded with a supplement brand or it starts sneaking into WOD stuff, I'm outta here.

I do think it's only a matter of time. The people who want to keep things simple and on point are almost always steamrolled by the cash counters.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:24 PM   #27
Jon Gregory

Profile:

Well, after almost 2 weeks of use I am completely sold on Ascend//Progenex. I haven't suffered the aches at all since using it and feel much better with these supplements