CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 08-04-2010, 12:18 PM   #41
Brent Eno

Profile:
Re: We need a water/swim obstacle in a CF competition. Why?

"who cares if they know how to swim or not?"- Learning how to swim is simple and could save someone's life one day. That person that you save because you know how to swim will care.

"if they managed to avoid the pool for 20+ years now that they are grown and can make their own decisions that they are not going to take vacations to lakes, rivers or oceans, and are not going to spend their summers at the pool." - Avoiding lakes, pools, oceans...because you don't know how to swim is childish and stupid. Be an adult and learn a new skill.

"are you seriously going to sit there and after a 200m swim or 500m swim go "Ok, NOW they can officially be considered the fittest man/woman in the world, but definitely NOT before that swim, that swim TOTALLY DEFINED THE GAMES and definitely pushed my opinion over the edge!" - no one is dumb enough to say that. It would be an interesting addition that would require a skill that has not been tested at the games yet. Thats all.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:26 PM   #42
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"Avoiding lakes, pools, oceans...because you don't know how to swim is childish and stupid. Be an adult and learn a new skill."

Where do you draw the line? I don't know how to climb, so I don't go climbing on vacation. A lot of people don't ski, so they don't go on skiing vacations. I don't skate board or freestyle bike so I don't go to skate parks.

I know people who go to the beach and never get in the water because they don't want to, not because they can't swim. It all comes down to goals, priorities and time management.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:42 PM   #43
Brent Eno

Profile:

Skiing and climbing are both skills that take A LOT of time and practice. Learning how to swim(or at least float and propel yourself) can be done in day.

I know a few people that can't and won't swim. I actually spent the day at hte beach with one when I was younger and I offered to teach him, but he said no because he was afraid. I can't speak for every non-swimmer, but I think most feel the same way. I think overcoming one's fears, especially childhood fears, is by far the best way to boost self-confidence, and can open up a world of possibilities. I realize there are people that just dont like water at all. But I think fear of the unknown is the driving factor in their avoidance. Unless you live in the desert, you live near water, and being confident in that environment can improve your quality of life, in my opinion.

Last edited by Brent Eno : 08-04-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:45 PM   #44
Justin Z. Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
How many fights are truly unescapable for the average private citizen?

Katherine
I don't know, do you? Probably almost all of them. No matter the number or probability, one doesn't know when the event that could take one's life could occur. So perhaps better to be prepared if all attempts to avoid a fight fail miserably.

Justin
Old 08-04-2010, 12:57 PM   #45
Todd Crawford

Profile:

Why is it necessary for CrossFit to tell you to swim - if you want to swim, go for it.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:25 PM   #46
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Z. Smith View Post
I don't know, do you? Probably almost all of them. No matter the number or probability, one doesn't know when the event that could take one's life could occur. So perhaps better to be prepared if all attempts to avoid a fight fail miserably.

Justin
For most people, the "event that could take their life" will not be a fight. See the causes of death list I posted recently. (maybe in this thread?) So learning to fight is probably not as good an investment of time as becoming more generally fit, getting their diet in order, becoming a better driver, or learning to fall. Or, for that matter, learning to swim.

There are lots of skills that might save your life some day. But there are only so many hours in a day.

If you want to learn martial skills, that's great. But do it because you enjoy it, not because you think they will ever save your life.

Katherine
Old 08-04-2010, 03:27 PM   #47
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"There are lots of skills that might save your life some day. But there are only so many hours in a day. "

That
Old 08-04-2010, 03:53 PM   #48
Justin Z. Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
For most people, the "event that could take their life" will not be a fight.
Agreed. Let me add on to "take your life" to also include getting injured, broken bones, mugged, raped, bullied, being psychologically scarred, and the same event could apply to your friends and family.

Not a rosy view...but I have a feeling that learning self defense could help more with the above than say double-unders.

Justin
Old 08-04-2010, 03:58 PM   #49
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"Not a rosy view...but I have a feeling that learning self defense could help more with the above than say double-unders."

Which is true, but is still not appropiate for a conditioning program.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:17 PM   #50
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Z. Smith View Post
Agreed. Let me add on to "take your life" to also include getting injured, broken bones, mugged, raped, bullied, being psychologically scarred, and the same event could apply to your friends and family.

Not a rosy view...but I have a feeling that learning self defense could help more with the above than say double-unders.

Justin
Sure, add on injuries. The relative importance of self-defense compared to other forms of injury-avoidance training is unlikely to change. How many people do you know who've been in fights? How many have been in car accidents?

Katherine