CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 10-15-2009, 05:44 AM   #11
Matthew Townsend

Profile:
Re: The tale of a crossfitter's first marathon

Haha, thanks Peter. My friend with whom I made the bet chickened out after a month or so training, shin splints or something.

I didn't mention that I did a POSE running clinic with Dr Romanov about 12 months ago in Melbourne. I learned a lot from that, in particular, that my running style included a nasty heel strike. I'd recommend to anyone doing any regular running that they study the POSE technique as I'm convinced it has great merit. I believe CFE workshops show you how to do this.

While I'm a long way from a picture perfect POSE runner, I set my Garmin 310XT to remind me every time my cadence dropped beneath 85spm. That at least encouraged me to focus on short steps rather than bounding along on my heels.

Yes, my GU strategy was a big weakness. I was told before the race, that I would probably only need one at 30, 35 and 40ks, but my dip at 15km or so meant that I felt I needed something. And it did work, but as mentioned, it had an undesirable side effect.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:37 PM   #12
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Nice going on your finish Matt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Townsend View Post
However, when I confessed to the guy carrying the 3:30 pace flag that I had:
- never run a marathon; or
- even more than 15kms in my life,
everyone around me started laughing.
Part of the reason I don't want to do another marathon is because so many in that crowd are jerks. The ultrarunning crowd is so much nicer. And that CF crowd is cool too..
Old 10-15-2009, 03:04 PM   #13
Greg Light

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post

Part of the reason I don't want to do another marathon is because so many in that crowd are jerks. The ultrarunning crowd is so much nicer. And that CF crowd is cool too..
Haha. I agree. When I ran one about a year ago there were a bunch of clowns that thought they were gods gift to running even though they were likely to finish close to 2 hours after the winners. Nothing wrong with not being fast (as I personally am very slow and only had the pleasure of hearing these people talk as we were starting right by each other due to our similar projected finish times), but come on, lets not inflate our self worth even more.

Matt - Good job. I'm doing a half this Sunday and am really looking forward to running in cold weather again as all the halfs I did all summer where really hot.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:34 PM   #14
Jonathan Yoon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post

The exception to the Marathon Jerk rule are the "little marathons", marathon races that only have about as many runners as ultras (largest field I've seen is about 200 people total). But then again, these "little marathons" are usually hosted by folks that typically run ultras and the field also has ultrarunners as the bulk.