CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 10-09-2009, 06:57 AM   #1
Tom Harritt

Profile:
Usmc Pft

So another OCS candidate here. I started crossfit about six weeks ago at an affiliate gym over here in NH (Seacoast Kettlebell) and the results have been great.

I took a PFT about two months ago and bombed it... 7 pullups, 79 crunches, and a 26:something 3 mile. After a little over a month at the affiliate I took the PFT again and scored:

12 pullups
100 crunches (max points)
22:20 3 mile.

Doing the crunches was stupid easy after all the crossfit, especially since SCKB loves to use the kettlebells and those swings really strengthen your core- I finished crunches before a lot of the guys who had already gone through OCC and had orders to the basic school! The 3 mile results were great too, considering I hadn't been running on my own beyond what the WODs had called for. I'll be going over some of the crossfit endurance methods with my trainer soon to shave off even more time.

Overall my experience with crossfit had been phenomenal. I'm not expected to leave for OCS until next June and I can't wait to see how much more improvement I can cram in between now and then.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:24 AM   #2
Steve Rakow

Profile:
Re: Usmc Pft

Tom,

Strong work. Make sure you can do 20 deadhang pullups by the time you get to OCS. You'll get more points on pullups than the run, so even if you can't get down to an 18 min 3 mile run, it's only 1 point for every six seconds over that. If you can go from 12 pullups to 20, you'll improve your score by 40 points!

CrossFit is definitely the way to train for the PFT, in my opinion. The last PFT I did was as good at 42 (two years ago) as it was when I did them as a lieutenant at 22. All due to CF.

SF,
Steve
Old 10-13-2009, 03:37 PM   #3
Phil Miller

Profile:
Re: Usmc Pft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rakow View Post
Tom,

Strong work. Make sure you can do 20 deadhang pullups by the time you get to OCS. You'll get more points on pullups than the run, so even if you can't get down to an 18 min 3 mile run, it's only 1 point for every six seconds over that. If you can go from 12 pullups to 20, you'll improve your score by 40 points!

CrossFit is definitely the way to train for the PFT, in my opinion. The last PFT I did was as good at 42 (two years ago) as it was when I did them as a lieutenant at 22. All due to CF.

SF,
Steve

That is the honest truth. 20 pull ups is a must. Once you have that it is all gravy. Have you attempted a CFT yet? This is the newest fitness test we use and seems to be more of the chest thumber now. I am heading to TBS early next year for the WO basic school and hope my cross fit pays off. Semper Fi and good luck.