CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 08-12-2009, 01:36 PM   #11
Andy Juskelis

Profile:
Re: On the way to a police career... Crossfit and Zone and Me!

No pics, but down to 183lb. I cut out all grains from my Zone and the only fruit I'm eating is apples, all other carbs come from veggies or milk.

Milestone of a sort today in that I can finally wear these 5 or so shirts I've never been able to before due to my "muffin top." I need to get a link taken out of my watch - it keeps falling down my arm.

Had a 14-minute Helen this morning along with topping out at 150lb on my back squat.

For those of you wondering, these are the requirements for the test I am doing next Saturday (it is pass/fail):

1.5 miles in 12:53
38 situps in 1 minute
29 pushups in 1 minute
19" vertical jump

I was intimidated about this last week, but I feel pretty good about it now. I'm doing a mock test next week to see how I feel.

Soon!

--Andy
Old 08-13-2009, 07:42 AM   #12
Mike Bishop

Profile:

Are you able to do 24" box jumps?
Old 08-13-2009, 09:26 AM   #13
Andy Juskelis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bishop View Post
Are you able to do 24" box jumps?
Yep. But this jump test is different than most. Most I've seen have a series of tabs on a pole that you jump up and hit out of the way. The one I'm doing is calculated on an electronic mat. So it's not really how high you jump, but how long your feet are off the ground.

--Andy
Old 08-17-2009, 10:34 AM   #14
Andy Juskelis

Profile:

Clean bill of health from the Doc today... didn't seem too impressed at my weight loss, but who cares.

Weighed at 182 this morning. First round of physical testing is Saturday. Really nervous. Planning on doing a mock PT on Wednesday.

Going to have a link taken out of my watch because it doesn't fit any more.

--Andy
Old 09-13-2009, 05:54 AM   #15
Andy Juskelis

Profile:

OK, so it's been a while. I put off the local PD test that was scheduled for August due to a nasty bout with seasonal allergies. My attendence at my local box has been sporadic for the same reason.

I dropped all the way down to 176 but my eating habits have regressed a bit since my allergy issues and the change of seasons. But, I have *two* police tests this upcoming week so I'm buckling down. I'm back up to about 180 but I'm going strict Zone-Paleo the next few weeks to get down a few more BF points (and get rid of the gut!).

Touched a 45 lb. plate at my affiliate for the first time the other day and set a 155 lb. PR for back squats. I also went from a 10:30 mile to an 11:22 mile-and-a-half (this morning). I can't believe I just did that. I couldn't even run an entire mile two months ago, and I ran straight through (no walking) for my 1.5.

I have a not-so-hard test on Tuesday for Natural Resources Police, but I'm considering that a warmup for Saturday's harder test for a local PD.

I still can't believe I am where I am today, and it's all thanks to Crossfit. I will update with new pics and results after my tests!

--Andy
Old 09-13-2009, 06:15 AM   #16
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Juskelis View Post
OK, so it's been a while. I put off the local PD test that was scheduled for August due to a nasty bout with seasonal allergies. My attendence at my local box has been sporadic for the same reason.

I dropped all the way down to 176 but my eating habits have regressed a bit since my allergy issues and the change of seasons. But, I have *two* police tests this upcoming week so I'm buckling down. I'm back up to about 180 but I'm going strict Zone-Paleo the next few weeks to get down a few more BF points (and get rid of the gut!).

Touched a 45 lb. plate at my affiliate for the first time the other day and set a 155 lb. PR for back squats. I also went from a 10:30 mile to an 11:22 mile-and-a-half (this morning). I can't believe I just did that. I couldn't even run an entire mile two months ago, and I ran straight through (no walking) for my 1.5.

I have a not-so-hard test on Tuesday for Natural Resources Police, but I'm considering that a warmup for Saturday's harder test for a local PD.

I still can't believe I am where I am today, and it's all thanks to Crossfit. I will update with new pics and results after my tests!

--Andy
That is fantastic, Andy! Give those tests your all and absolutely keep us posted on how they go!
Old 09-28-2009, 07:14 PM   #17
Andy Juskelis

Profile:

OK so passed the Natural Resources Police tests to be told they don't have money for an academy and if I don't hear from them in a year to reapply to keep my name in the system. Sweet!

Pushed back my "big" local PD test again due to some other issues. Read more about my experience with Crossfit, The Zone, and antihistamines:

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=51583 (WFS)

--Andy
Old 10-01-2009, 05:47 PM   #18
Louis Hayes

Profile:

With all the similar posts, I can't believe there isn't a police/deputy candidate thread.

After 12 years of LE, I still recall the hiring and training process.

Best luck to all of you LE candidates. May you progress from candidates through recruits, probationaries, seasoned vets, and FOGs (friggen old guys)......

Time flies.