CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-03-2009, 06:21 AM   #21
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Re: Tales from the Crock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Mathwig View Post
Ah, how I miss you guys.........

Weekend treat - Shredded pork

Pork Butt (maybe 3lbs?)
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
1 yellow onion
salt
pepper
2 cups of water

This was layered and cooked on low for 10 hours.....it smelled so amazing when I woke up this morning. I went to take it out of the crock to shred it and if it wasn't for the string, the whole thing would've just fallen apart as is. Mixed with about 1.5 cups of a Bacon Chipotle sauce we picked up from the butcher shop yesterday and some bacon grease (don't tell the stud muffin!). Oh, and I removed the majority of the water that was left. Currently cooking for another 4 hours on high. I'm so hungry. Guess I'll just need to have some bacon and eggs while I wait!
Amber;

Nice job and where have you been??????? Couple of suggestions:

Get a bigger Butt. 3lb'r is like the CF Warm Up, it gets you in the mood to work/eat. Hence, get Butts in the 7-8 lb range. Any real man will tell you that the bigger the Butt, the better. If your man does not agree, well, come on up to Western Pa, where we appreciate the beauty of the Butt, or get rid of that Pansy and still come on up.

I would not have used water, period. Maybe a 1/4 cup of ACV or Apple juice. The Butt has such a great fat layer, that will break down on that long slow cook.

Last item, after 10 hours in Crock, you really don't need to continue cooking for 4 more hours. Maybe hour at most, BUT what ever, your dish sounds great.

Well, almost last item. Your title of post was Weekend Treat, no, Pork should be a menu staple and not a treat. A treat would be like Chocolate Dipped Bacon, or say you're really hunger, and you open up your gear bag, looking for anything to eat that you might have missed over the last few weeks, and stuck in the corner is a big honkin Meat Cookie, now that is a treat right from God.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:56 AM   #22
Amber Mathwig

Profile:

Jay,

I have turned the crock pot off and we have already enjoyed several spoonfuls from it! I hate to admit this, but my kitchen is still slow going on some staple ingredients, I.E. ACV. I had just been following the basics of a few recipes I had googled.....but there was a nice chunk of fat in the middle of the butt.

We are working on our relationship with the butchers.....which currently is they love me and ignore stud muffin. I know I need to start calling ahead though to get some bigger cuts of meat.

Last night we had some very thick pork chops, which were grilled with a fresh basil/garlic/oil/salt mixture and some squash on the side (garlic/oil). All local/seasonal meal.

I have been busy! Adjusting to my new schedule has been rough, and haven't been feeling the greatest while doing it. I actually have duty tomorrow (sad) and then a school starting up next week. How has your summer been going?

GTG, bacon on the stove!
Old 07-04-2009, 07:04 AM   #23
Amber Mathwig

Profile:

This isn't going to be a surprise for any long time board members, but Mr. Cohen was absolutely right - I definitly needed a bigger butt. We went through 2/3rds of it yesterday, and I have a small container with me today for duty and expect none to be left when I get home tomorrow. Stud Muffin has been tasked with getting me a bigger butt ASAP.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:16 AM   #24
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Mathwig View Post
This isn't going to be a surprise for any long time board members, but Mr. Cohen was absolutely right - I definitly needed a bigger butt. We went through 2/3rds of it yesterday, and I have a small container with me today for duty and expect none to be left when I get home tomorrow. Stud Muffin has been tasked with getting me a bigger butt ASAP.
Now you're thinking along the right lines. Here is Butt pic from MeatFest 2009.

See post # 14.

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showth...t=47273&page=2

Jay

w/f/s
Old 07-04-2009, 04:25 PM   #25
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Yes, June and not May! I can make June for next year, I'm psyched already
Old 07-04-2009, 06:58 PM   #26
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernard View Post
Yes, June and not May! I can make June for next year, I'm psyched already
Joe;

Just for you, MeatFest 2010 will be in June, if you can't make it, for what ever reason, send your mom.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:37 PM   #27
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
Joe;

Just for you, MeatFest 2010 will be in June, if you can't make it, for what ever reason, send your mom.
Hah thanks Jay. FYI, my mom loves a big butt (pork, that is )