CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-22-2009, 11:56 AM   #21
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Should I be stricter?

Just read the label on your yogurt and make sure the carbs are at a reasonable level. Even plain, "unsweetened" yogurt can still have a bunch of sugar and other junk mixed in there. For a 1 cup serving it should be in the neighborhood of 17-19g carbs and 13-15g protein to match up with the Zone charts. Don't worry about getting low-fat yogurt...the fat is what will make it taste good, and usually "low-fat" is a synonym for "we engineered it in a laboratory to be low fat, but had to add in a bunch of bad-for-you sweeteners to make it taste ok."

If you're trying to make it Zone-correct, you'll need to balance it out with a little more protein too. Strawberry-flavored whey protein powder works (usually 1/3 scoop is about 1 block, just check the label) or use a 1/4 cup of cottage cheese.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:09 AM   #22
Laura Kurth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Just read the label on your yogurt and make sure the carbs are at a reasonable level. Even plain, "unsweetened" yogurt can still have a bunch of sugar and other junk mixed in there. For a 1 cup serving it should be in the neighborhood of 17-19g carbs and 13-15g protein to match up with the Zone charts. Don't worry about getting low-fat yogurt...the fat is what will make it taste good, and usually "low-fat" is a synonym for "we engineered it in a laboratory to be low fat, but had to add in a bunch of bad-for-you sweeteners to make it taste ok."

If you're trying to make it Zone-correct, you'll need to balance it out with a little more protein too. Strawberry-flavored whey protein powder works (usually 1/3 scoop is about 1 block, just check the label) or use a 1/4 cup of cottage cheese.
um... if it's plain, unsweetened yogurt then no there won't be sugar and other junk mixed in there

that's the plain, unsweetened part.... lol
Old 03-23-2009, 11:48 AM   #23
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Kurth View Post
um... if it's plain, unsweetened yogurt then no there won't be sugar and other junk mixed in there

that's the plain, unsweetened part.... lol
Well, that would seem like a reasonable assumption, but I've found wide variations in carb content of even supposedly "plain" yogurt. Some brands are much closer to the 1P/1C ratio than others. Then there's the stuff I found at Costco last week that works out to 3P/1C blocks per cup...not sure how they managed to do that and haven't done the Pepsi challenge on it yet so I don't know how that affects the taste.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:27 PM   #24
Laura Kurth

Profile:

Well if it has anything in it besides milk and yogurt cultures, then no it is not plain, unsweetened yogurt.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:21 AM   #25
William Myrick

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Allen Hanson View Post
I think your smoothies are fine. It sounds like people were assuming you were using the sweetened, pseudo-fruit yogurt.

Let us know how the increased food works for you!
I am so full.. lol I am trying to get my last bit of steak in my belly.

I have never felt like so stuffed in my life.

Sunday was ok, I kept my snacks at 1 block. Monday was all out 16 blocks, I realized I needed to space out my meals more. I can't wait to see how much difference the added food have on my WODs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Kurth View Post
Well if it has anything in it besides milk and yogurt cultures, then no it is not plain, unsweetened yogurt.
mmmmm, plain unsweetened yogurt is good!!

Last edited by William Myrick : 03-24-2009 at 03:25 AM.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:24 AM   #26
William Myrick

Profile:

Well it has been 1 week now at 16 blocks/day.

My weight went up about 1.6lbs this week. I have felt better and have to make myself eat. I haven't been feeling hungry at all this week, which is good. My cravings have gone down aswell.

My WOD results are getting better and I have more energy now as well. My mental focus has increase alot this week.

Thanks to everyone who told me to EAT MORE!.. lol

I still have a few quesitons

Someone said to stop eating grapes. Are grapes bad for me? They are listed on the Favorables in CFJ 21, so I am confused.

Also, I am/was addicted to breads, rice, potatoes and pastas. I usually save them for my cheat day, Saturdays.

Is there a way to get denser carbs without eatting these things?

Last edited by William Myrick : 03-28-2009 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Eye haz pour gramher.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:31 AM   #27
Harley Jennings

Profile:

Grapes aren't bad man, they are goal dependant. If it is pure weight loss then you don't necessarily need the sugar. If that isn't an issue though then eat up man..

Potatoes aren't the devil either man, certainly not if you save them for your PWO. Might help in your search for denser carbs. Sweet potatoes are money as well.
M/27/5'10''/200lbs/13%BF BS 365#/ SP 205#/ DL 425#/ BP 345#/ PC 235#/ FS 265#/ CJ 225#/ THR 225#/ Liz 6:11/ Murph 39:00My Log