CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 10-08-2002, 12:07 PM   #1
Frank C Ollis

Profile:
Anyone in the SoCal area that can help teach me correct Snatch technique. Mine is sucking bad! I am reduced to doing "muscle snatches" with lighter weight. I am pretty athletic, so my failure in this area is really ****ing me off.
Old 10-08-2002, 03:59 PM   #2
Coach

Profile:

Jeff Sunzeri's site lists O'lift gyms and coaches willing to help. There are a couple in your area.
http://www.sunzeri.com/Gyms.htm

Additionally, with or without hands on coaching I highly reccomend World Class Coaching LLC's two tapes on O'lifting: "The Snatch" and "The Clean and Jerk." http://www.worldclasscoachingllc.com/

I'd love Dan John's read on these two tapes, but I'd have to say that pedagogically and technically these are as good as any instructional tapes I've seen anywhere. I was floored by their quality.

Finally, at the end of these tapes is a little monograph by Bob White, one of the proprietors of World Class Coaching LLC. Bob is by training an engineer but has a profound love for the O'lifts. I came to the conclusion after watching and studying Bob's lecture that he has a unique, if not revolutionary, and singularly correct view of these two lifts. (I.E. he agrees with my prejudices.) I'd love to see some discussion on this aspect in particular and these tapes in general from those of you, like Dan John, more experienced than I with the quick lifts.
Old 10-08-2002, 04:36 PM   #3
Dan John

Profile:

Okay, you talked me into it...I will buy them. My kids don't need to go to Harvard...or eat.

I'll let you know!
Old 10-09-2002, 12:17 AM   #4
Jason

Profile:  
If you are seriously wanting to master the Olympic-Lifts, I too would highly recommend that you order a copy of both
World Class Coaching LLC's videos; "The Snatch Lift" and "The Clean and Jerk." http://www.worldclasscoachingllc.com/

Just as mentioned in the CrossFit Journal and in the post by Coach, they are not only the best videos we have seen on the Olympic-Lifts, but also just about the best instructional videos we have seen on any subject anywhere.

Check out Coach's link for O-Lifting coaches in you area. You might also check out the USA Weightlifting Federations web-site. http://www.usaweightlifting.org/main.html
If you are interested, USA Weightlifting does offer courses to the public. Go to their main-page, then click on "Coaches", then click on "2002 Coaching Course Calendar" for a 2002/2003 list of locations/dates/etc. They have a few listed for California. That may or may not be an option for you.

If all else fails and neither a Certified Olympic Lifting Coach or a USAWF class come to fruition, you might just ask around your area a bit. Sometimes you can find a local athlete who used to compete in the Olympics and they sometimes enjoy helping out an athlete who is serious about wanting to learn the lifts. (We have a couple here in town who competed in the Olympic games in the Olympic-Lifting events; one owns a couple local GNC's.) Not every great athlete is a great teacher, but you'll probably be able to pick up something of value from someone who has been doing the lifts for 10 years.
Old 10-21-2002, 09:21 AM   #5
Rob Moss

Profile:  
Could anyone explain or direct me to a site that explains what a "muscle snatch" is?
Also what is a glute-ham raise?

I am new to Crossfit training and still trying to grasp the different excercises.
Thanks,

Rob
Old 10-21-2002, 11:02 AM   #6
Dan John

Profile:

A "muscle snatch" is traditionally a snatch from the floor, hang, or high hip that you don't "come under" or "screw under." You snap it up then, using a little momentum and a little muscle, lock out the bar with straight legs. It is great for learning the lock out in the snatch.

A glute-ham raise is a "Sprinter Back Raise" on a special support machine. You can mimic this by kneeling on the ground with your feet supported by another person or locked down somehow. Hands behind your neck, let yourself go, under control, "Nose first" to the floor with an arched back and no bend at all at the hips. The only joint moving is your knees. Then come back up.

Good luck...really. Doing this once the first time is very impressive.
Old 10-21-2002, 11:47 AM   #7
Rob Moss

Profile:  
Thank you very much for the information Dan and yes, by the sound of it I will need all the "Good Luck" that I can get. Thanks again,

Rob
Old 10-31-2002, 11:20 PM   #8
Jason

Profile:  
Rob,

If you do not have access to the proper apparatus, (GHD; "Glute/Ham Developer"), Dan John's floor suggestion is a great one. (It's a great one even if you do have access to the GHD apparatus.--Very difficult; excellent movement.)

If you do have the access to a GHD:

Glute-ham raises are generally done on a glute/hamstring developer. This is a very similar apparatus to that of a back-extension unit (sometimes incorrectly referred to as "hyper-extension" unit). The primary difference between the two is that the pad that your hips rest against is formed into a large convex curve on the glute/ham developer, whereas it is only flat on the back-extension unit. This large convex curved pad allows for you to not only get a great contraction in the spinalis by extending upward, but to also get a profound contraction and more functional utilization of the glute/hamstring complex by also doing a motion that is similar to that of a leg curl when you reach the point of maximum hip-extension. For the normal back-extension unit, you simply lock the feet in and while facing down towards the ground, hip bones hanging off the pad slightly, bend downward at the waist towards the earth and then utilize the muscles in the lower back to raise your self up again, coming slightly above parallel to the ground. With the glute/ham developer, when you get to this point of maximum hip-extension, you can then "curl" the legs and get knee-flexion and raise your body up higher, again, gaining a profound and functional contraction in the glute/hamstring complex. Back-extensions are still great.--But the back-extension coupled with the glute/ham flexion, (back/hip-extension) as done on the glute/ham developer provides for an overall better movement. If you don't have access to a glute/ham developer in your facility or home gym, then the back-extension apparatus is a fine alternative.

Whether you have access to a GHD or back-extension unit or not, I would suggest giving Dan John's floor suggestion a try. It's amazingly difficult. Again, a great movement.
Old 01-19-2003, 11:26 AM   #9
Coach

Profile:

Dan, did you ever get those video tapes from World Class Coaching? I'd be delighted to get your take on them. If you've not picked them up, I'd like to loan you mine. Drop me an email with your address and I'll get them out to you - if you're still interested.