CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 03-31-2008, 09:13 PM   #11
Matthew Barrett

Profile:
Re: 2008 Tour De France

I didnt think that starting this thread would be this controversial. I am not interested in your opinions about the use of drugs in the sport, but rather those regarding one of the greatest sporting spectacles in the world (probably 3rd behind the olympics and world cup).
Old 03-31-2008, 09:54 PM   #12
James Besenyei

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Barrett View Post
I didnt think that starting this thread would be this controversial. I am not interested in your opinions about the use of drugs in the sport, but rather those regarding one of the greatest sporting spectacles in the world (probably 3rd behind the olympics and world cup).
As much as I hate to admit it, the Tour is probably one of the greatest spectacles in sport. I should emphasize the word spectacle here. Generally a spectacle refers to any event that is memorable because of the appearance it creates. The appearance of the Tour nowadays is akin to Barry hitting a home run, or silicone implants, great to look at, but deep down you just know that it ain't the real thing.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:54 PM   #13
Dave Gibbs

Profile:

just have to chime in here.
  1. Yes, recent drug cheats have tarnished the sport
  2. no, it does not quite have the kudos it once had
BUT

It is still HUGE in europe

It is now probably the most drug tested sport in the world and therefore it is a fair estimate that the ones who get caught now are the only ones at it.

Whatever you think of the event, anyone who even finishes the race drug free deserves a huge amount of respect. If you ride a roadbike the thought of at least 200km a day for a month at about 60kmh av speed is unthinkable.

Although CF is no fan of ultra endurance events like this and I personally think you need a to be a brain donor to enter..... give the clean atheletes the respect they have earned and deserve.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:53 AM   #14
Jake Di Vita

Profile:

Even if they are doping, touring an entire country on a bike is a pretty amazing thing to watch.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:59 AM   #15
George Mounce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Barrett View Post
Noted. But its a free message board, so you should expect it with anything you post. Its naive to think otherwise.

If you don't want opinions, don't post. Its that simple.

Its one of the greatest spectacles of a tarnished sport in the world. That and if you are seriously impressed by people who have pretty much given up functionality in the real world to ride a bike, more power to you. I'm not a fan of concentration-camp looking people.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:36 AM   #16
Jake Di Vita

Profile:

I'm impressed by the drive and amount of work it takes to get where they are at, not their physiques.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:44 PM   #17
Aaron Trent

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
Noted. But its a free message board, so you should expect it with anything you post. Its naive to think otherwise.

If you don't want opinions, don't post. Its that simple.

Its one of the greatest spectacles of a tarnished sport in the world. That and if you are seriously impressed by people who have pretty much given up functionality in the real world to ride a bike, more power to you. I'm not a fan of concentration-camp looking people.
I wasn't aware that athletics had turned into a figure competition! So what if they don't look the best, they have a hell of a lot more drive than you ever will. The ability to ride a bicycle 2000 miles in three weeks under race conditions with stages in some of the most brutal mountain climbs known to mankind is "seriously impressive".
Old 04-01-2008, 06:42 PM   #18
James Besenyei

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Trent View Post
I wasn't aware that athletics had turned into a figure competition! So what if they don't look the best, they have a hell of a lot more drive than you ever will. The ability to ride a bicycle 2000 miles in three weeks under race conditions with stages in some of the most brutal mountain climbs known to mankind is "seriously impressive".
It is seriously impressive. Professional athletes in general are impressive individuals.

Professional athletes who push the envelope of human strength (Powerlifters, Oly lifters, Strongman Competitors) and endurance (ultramarathoners, long distance cyclists, adventure race competitors) seem even more impressive because of their dedication to specialization.

Whenever it is discovered, however, that any of these athletes uses truly artificial means to achieve that unique and impressive level of specialization we should be disappointed. Why? We trust them. We want to believe that the spirit and body really are that strong, that dedicated, that capable of the seemingly impossible. When we discover that a Tour competitor is doping (again) or a Marius Pudzianowski is jacked up on steroids it doesn't just take away from their accomplishments, it devours them whole.

Of course another great example is Baseball. Does Barry get an asterisk next to his records? Does Clemens? Further, how do we really feel about these guys after we find out they were doing it the wrong way? I for one feel cheated. The Tour is no different. I would rather see the last guy in the peloton win if he's the only one who's racing clean. And if I don't know who's cheating and who's not, why watch? When the scandal is more important than the event, the sport has some serious demons to expel. This is true with cycling and it's true with baseball.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:52 PM   #19
Sean McMaster

Profile:

Why watch sports, when you could be playing sports instead?
Old 04-01-2008, 06:58 PM   #20
Chris Hollingsworth

Profile:

I love cycling and also hate the doping that has plagued the sport. However, all sports have drug problems whether they are in the papers or not because of the money involved. Cycling does at least deserve some credit for trying to make the sport as clean as possible - sometimes to the point of overkill. While I look forward to the TdF every year, this year I'm a little reserved due to exclusion of Astana. That decision is just a grudge against what used to be Postal. How in the world can the ASO actually have a TdF that doesn't include last years winner? Contador & Liepheimer both would have excellent shots at the title this year and that team looks very strong. I think the ASO just doesn't like Bruyneel winning and so they are taking this opportunity to exclude him & Astana. Does ASO actually believe they aren't 2 of the best riders in cycling? After last year, the whole team was changed and they have instituted a rigourous anti-doping program because of the debacle last year. Just let 'em ride - we'll see who's better then. Given Astana's exclusion, I would have to believe that Cadel Evans is the pre-race favorite.