CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-19-2006, 02:53 AM   #1
Fiona Muxlow

Profile:
NOT happy, but at least i finally know why my back has been hurting for th last few months.And can do the right things for it.We started fight training last week and after an impact conditioning session i could hardly work becasue of my back. Doctor sent my for a CT and found the bulge.
Now i have been told to rest for 10 days. It's day 3 now and the novalty has worn off. Especially as im going over to the cert seminar in a few weeks.
I am allowed to start swimming again tomorrow.But no lifting,running or wrestling or karate or crossfit :-( for the next week.
Extention actaully releaves the pain because the bulge is on the front side of the spine, so that explains why front squats and OLY lifting didn't hurt much but doing backsqauts did.
Beth it's not as bad as your, i hope your rehab is going ok.
Anyone know of the expected recovery time for this type of thing.

Im off now to recaulate my zone blocks, have been pretty slack of late, basically eating what ever but now its time to get it right or end up looking like the green Princes Fiona

(Message edited by Fiona on January 19, 2006)
Old 01-19-2006, 04:16 AM   #2
Andrew Cattermole

Profile:
Not good Fi,
Keep to the Recovery Period,don't risk further injury.
All the best for speedy recuperation
Old 01-19-2006, 05:17 AM   #3
John Velandra

Profile:
Can you do movements that would aggravate it? DB Benching, pullups (assisted), etc?? If so, you might want to look into doing supported movements as long as it causes no additional pain/discomfort.

From 10 years in the army, I was told I have dgd & bulge in L3/4... Still able to heavy dead and squat without any problems (a twinge once a couple of months only)...

I've found doing nothing just as bad (or worse) than doing a little.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:50 AM   #4
Fiona Muxlow

Profile:
I hear what you are saying.I'm starting back swimming tomorrow.And have some exercises from the physio to do.

Monday i will start back working on pullups and bench and if im luck i might be able to use the eliptical. My major problem is not actually in doing the exercises,I've PB on my OHS, FS and BS and Snatch with this injury, as well as actaully completing the CFWU as rxd for the first time,it is after the fact once i have cold down the muscles freeze up.

I like said i worked out that the BS aggrivated it so i had layed off them for a while,BW where fine and it hurt less to run that to ride, but the impact training really hurt it. Again it didn't actually hurt to do(no more than impact training can) but the day after i couldn't bend to do up my shoes lace without in my back and legs pain.

I don't want to do nothing becasue i know it makes it worse, its just finding the balance.

(Message edited by Fiona on January 19, 2006)
Old 01-19-2006, 06:08 AM   #5
Dan MacDougald

Profile:
Fiona,
I have similar issues. The best help I've found is from the book, "7 Steps To A Pain Free Life:How To Rapidly Relieve Back & Neck Pain" by Robin McKenzie. Warning, he's a Kiwi.

He recommends extension poses and stretches, avoiding flexion as much as possible, and constant attention to posture.

See you in Santa Cruz
Old 01-19-2006, 07:55 AM   #6
Tim Weaver

Profile:
Wow...in 1986, there was none of this holistic, exercise-based pain relief stuff....I just had surgery on mine (L4-5). You're all a bunch of pansies!! :-)

Apart from a brief flare-up (job involving walking on concrete for 10 hour shifts) in 1987, I've had no real issues other than aging. :-)

Best of luck!
Old 01-19-2006, 06:15 PM   #7
Mike Moore

Profile:
Uh....I've gotta call BS on the docs that said the disc that's bulgind anteriorly is causing your pain. First, most bulging discs are not symptomatic. Second, well it's difficult to picture what the bulging disc is pressing on that's resulting in the pain. Unless the anulus is actually torn, a disc must usually be pressing on a nerve to elicit pain. Have you seen a neurosurgeon or orthopedic surgeon (preferably one with a spine fellowship)? Maybe your description of the CT scan is incorrect. I just hate to see someone give you a "reason" for your pain instead of saying "I don't know" if they don't really know.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:57 PM   #8
Fiona Muxlow

Profile:
My doctor feels the disc itself is not actually the reason for the pain but strain/damage to to the ligaments and muscles around.