CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-27-2014, 06:32 AM   #1
Tighe Crovetti

Profile:
Getting stats off the leaderboard

As a first-time Open participant, and bona fide math nerd, I'm keeping a spreadsheet of my results. I'm charting both individual WOD rankings, and cumulative rankings, compared to:

* my box
* region
* worldwide
* region, age group (40-44)
* worldwide, age group

For each of those populations, it is very easy to get your rank in each individual workout. The leaderboard also makes it easy to get your cumulative rank as of each stage-end. That is, e.g., I came in 1,951th in my region on 14.3 itself, and I was 3,432nd in my region at the end of the third week. So that's fine, I know 1,950 and 3,431 people beat me, respectively, but what's harder to find is, how many did I beat?

Now, the Games app is very good about showing you that on a cumulative basis. Right now, if I open my app, it shows me "2308 / 9415" and "203 / 792" for my age group, WW and region. I have deduced that those denominators are the total number of people who have done ANY of the workouts, because the actual leaderboard shows last place (age group, WW) to be 8,341st, which is reducing the population to only those who completed all workouts. That's a little harder to find on the leaderboard, you have to go the last page (for each filter), but then back up a bunch of pages, because a lot of people are ranked "(--)," to find the last person with an actual rank. Clunky, but doable.

The number I CAN'T seem to get without a LOT of work, is JUST the number of people who did a particular workout. I can go to the leaderboard, select a particular stage (e.g., Open Week 2), and sort of "Open Week 2" as well. However, I get a SLEW of people all tied for last (1 rep), and have to go back pages and pages, counting how many people per page, and add them all up, add that on to the rank of the last place.... So, all this long-winded stuff is to ask: any place to get a simple count, with ability to filter by region/age group, of how many people did each individual Open workout?
Old 04-02-2014, 08:17 AM   #2
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:
Re: Getting stats off the leaderboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tighe Crovetti View Post
So that's fine, I know 1,950 and 3,431 people beat me, respectively, but what's harder to find is, how many did I beat?

Now, the Games app is very good about showing you that on a cumulative basis. Right now, if I open my app, it shows me "2308 / 9415" and "203 / 792" for my age group, WW and region.
I second this request with one of my own -

It's great that the *iPhone only* games app offers that, but surprisingly enough, not everyone has an iPhone - here's a WFS infographic from Nielsen to prove it - sooooooo, some of us can't even see the info the app offers, if nothing else, please somehow provide that same data that is already being tallied on the website.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:35 AM   #3
Beth Martino

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tighe Crovetti View Post
Right now, if I open my app, it shows me "2308 / 9415" and "203 / 792" for my age group, WW and region. I have deduced that those denominators are the total number of people who have done ANY of the workouts, because the actual leaderboard shows last place (age group, WW) to be 8,341st, which is reducing the population to only those who completed all workouts.
Which do you think is better to use, the number from the leaderboard that only shows people who have done ALL workouts, or the larger number from the app which includes the number that did ANY workout?? I made a simple spreadsheet to calculate my percentile in each workout (so I could compare with last year) and only noticed then the numbers were vastly different. I know the important part is probably just to be consistent but I'm curious which you think would be more accurate. I don't think I'm nearly enough of a math nerd.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:02 AM   #4
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth Martino View Post
Which do you think is better to use, the number from the leaderboard that only shows people who have done ALL workouts, or the larger number from the app which includes the number that did ANY workout?? I made a simple spreadsheet to calculate my percentile in each workout (so I could compare with last year) and only noticed then the numbers were vastly different. I know the important part is probably just to be consistent but I'm curious which you think would be more accurate. I don't think I'm nearly enough of a math nerd.
For me personally, I'm concerned only with people that completed/posted a score all 5 workouts, outside of that, doesn't really matter.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:41 AM   #5
Tighe Crovetti

Profile:

I'm concerned with both. For each individual workout, I want to know - out of ALL the people who attempted (and managed a valid score, whatever that is - where I placed. There will be people who register, but maybe have some glaring weaknesses, and/or only cherry-pick one or two workouts because they consider themselves good at the movements involved. I want to know, even against them, how I fare. In the end, though, I'm only concerned with my overall ranking against those who performed every workout.