CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-04-2014, 10:10 PM   #11
Andrew T Wilson

Profile:
Re: Help, just want to look better and be fitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Davies View Post
nowhere near enough detail on your food intake. What are you using as "filler" if lean protein s expensive? Bogging down on tons of carbs, you're not going to get lean.
I rely on fats, dont eat much carbs. For example I will eat 2 cage eggs and two large strips of budget bacon (rind on), 1 protein shake woth about 1 1/2- 2cups light milk, For lunch I had
3 big chicken wings baked and a small bowl of frozen green beans, another protein shake
as a snack. For dinner I will have a small bowl of bolognese meat, sometimes with a little gf pasta OR 3 big chicken wings and frozen veges

On occasions may have a small bowl of ice cream.

All in all I believe I make it to 2500 calories
Old 01-05-2014, 04:33 AM   #12
Fergal Jennings

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T Wilson View Post
I rely on fats, dont eat much carbs. For example I will eat 2 cage eggs and two large strips of budget bacon (rind on), 1 protein shake woth about 1 1/2- 2cups light milk, For lunch I had
3 big chicken wings baked and a small bowl of frozen green beans, another protein shake
as a snack. For dinner I will have a small bowl of bolognese meat, sometimes with a little gf pasta OR 3 big chicken wings and frozen veges

On occasions may have a small bowl of ice cream.

All in all I believe I make it to 2500 calories

You need better protein sources and if you are training that much per weak, you need far more carbs. I live in Ireland so I know How expensive food can be, but shop around. Drink whole milk instead of light milk, it's cheap anywhere you go and full of good stuff. Sweet potatoes and potatoes are the same (typical Irish eh?) I'm sure there's a great availability of them.

Get cheaper cuts of meat, there has to be a meat source that's in your budget. Typically 2500 sounds far too low for someone with your activity level. Try adding another 1000 calories to that and you'll be surprised that your still not gaining.

I recall when I was struggling with this problem, I was told on these boards to eat anything that sits still long enough. I went from your weight to 95kg and I've never felt better.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:37 AM   #13
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Liver is very cheap and a great source of nutritions.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:44 PM   #14
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T Wilson View Post
Side note- I can see why its so easy to bulk up in the US your food is so cheap. Cost us 9 dollars a kilo for chicken breast, 7 dollars a kilo for beef mince and thats cheap here lol. Cant wait to start my policing careerr so I can afford better food .
It's twice that here, brah.

If you want to lose weight and get some sick abz like the dude in the video, you need to focus on cleaning up your diet- not just lowering the calories, but also paying heed to where the calories come from.

If you want to gain, throw all nutritional rules out the window and eat until you hate yourself at every opportunity, and cut down on the conditioning a little bit as well.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:07 PM   #15
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearse Shields View Post
It's twice that here, brah.

If you want to lose weight and get some sick abz like the dude in the video, you need to focus on cleaning up your diet- not just lowering the calories, but also paying heed to where the calories come from.

If you want to gain, throw all nutritional rules out the window and eat until you hate yourself at every opportunity, and cut down on the conditioning a little bit as well.
You cant out work a bad diet. Period.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:41 AM   #16
Pearse Shields

Profile:

I do, pretty consistently. So do pretty much all the fighters I know, really.

Of course, that depends on how bad you're talking when you say bad.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:14 PM   #17
Adam Shreim

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
You cant out work a bad diet. Period.
For the average person, this is incredibly true.

I could post my WOD logs and then post current pictures of me and you probably wouldn't be able to put the two together (unless you look at MetCons that involve running, before you see the pictures).

Junky food in-take, plus over indulgence of alcohol keeps me hovering at 21-22% bodyfat for MONTHS.

Not to mention I decided that I, in my great wisdom, "needed" to weigh 190+ pounds (86kg) and ended up "eating everything in sight" while doing a strength training program.

The good news is that all of my lifts went up a lot. The bad news is that I am still not even that strong (405# Deadlift / 355# Squat / 290# Bench / 192.5# Press). The worst news is that I didn't just get to 190, I got to 221 while catapulting myself from 13% to 25% bodyfat.

No matter what you're doing, if you're doing it for looks - eat carefully.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:34 PM   #18
Justin Rowland

Profile:

I would definitely have to agree with Adam. I have dabbled in all kinds of workouts/fitness programs/diets. I just recently got into crossfit for the first time and love it. But, this is the second post I have seen from this Pearse character that is absolutely wrong about nutrition....If you take advice like that, you will end up having an experience like Adam did. I went to hardly any workout except some running, and eating whatever and whenever I wanted (purposely) so that I could see just what crossfit can do for someone. Everyone's bodies will react different to things, nutrition is definitely one of these things. But, one thing EVERYBODY's body will agree on, if you want to shred up, eat CLEAN. It isn't about dropping calories, it is about watching where your calories come from.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:34 PM   #19
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Rowland View Post
I would definitely have to agree with Adam. I have dabbled in all kinds of workouts/fitness programs/diets. I just recently got into crossfit for the first time and love it. But, this is the second post I have seen from this Pearse character that is absolutely wrong about nutrition....If you take advice like that, you will end up having an experience like Adam did. I went to hardly any workout except some running, and eating whatever and whenever I wanted (purposely) so that I could see just what crossfit can do for someone. Everyone's bodies will react different to things, nutrition is definitely one of these things. But, one thing EVERYBODY's body will agree on, if you want to shred up, eat CLEAN. It isn't about dropping calories, it is about watching where your calories come from.
As I said, there are a great number of athletes who will disagree with this. Even guys like Lyle McDonald will say that often athletes will train long and hard enough that they maintain a good/lean body composition without eating clean. Fighters in particular are notorious for it though.

And, it doesn't matter how clean your food intake is, if you're overeating, you're still overeating. It admittedly becomes much harder to do so with "clean" foods, as they are much less calorie-dense, but 4,000kcal is still 4,000kcal, and if that number is higher than what you are putting out, you will gain weight.

Anyway, my initial post in this thread was saying to watch where your calories come from as well as dropping your intake if you wish to lose. You say I'm wrong, but isn't that the same thing as what you said?
Old 01-12-2014, 06:12 PM   #20
Justin Rowland

Profile:

Correct, where I am saying your wrong is telling someone to throw all nutritional guidelines out the window and eat everything in site. That, sir, is quite incorrect.

And how are you going to compare a professional athlete to a person looking to get in shape?? If you take someone that trains for a living, yes, they can eat whatever they want, and as long as they still train, they will stay the same. That is what they do though. Many professional athletes and trainers work out 3-4 times a day though. And fighters are not a special breed. Fighters just have a workout plan that include A LOT of HIIT training and cardio. A typical MMA style workout I can burn about 14-1600 calories. And yes, that is a true number, I have trained before. So yes, when you burn 1200+ each workout, 3-4 times a day, you are going to stay in shape no matter what...