CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-08-2012, 12:34 PM   #91
Joshua Foladare

Profile:
Re: Why do people hate Crossfit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Vesey View Post
I love living healthy therefore I love CrossFit, Strongman, Power Lifting, Track and anything that keeps me active and out of an early grave. I do not bash any form of exercise as I see doing something active is far better than doing nothing. The whole "We are Better" debate between the fitness realms is quite juvenile (Yes this wisdom is being projected from someone not far off being juvenile in age). I know the main reasons have been listed already. For me, I think the attitudes from a handful of the community tend to sour peoples experiences. In my opinion, CrossFit is what I need for my lifestyle and career path. Everyone is different and has different goals. Some goals require a more specialized approach to achieve. I do also agree with the many that talk about the huge Ego many CrossFitters have. I combat this by training out of my house and staying away from clumps of the community that act this way (It works). Another issue I see is people who are "veterans" in the lifting world being told what to do and how to do something properly by people who did a weekend course. Nobody likes to be told they are doing something wrong (especially if they aren't doing that thing wrong in the first place).

Example: It is kind of like the few times I have been to a Globo-Gym (usually when on vacation), and am told that I am Deadlifting incorrectly because I am using a double over-hand hook grip. For me, I dislike the alternate grip method and feel it causes imbalances and a lot of strain on the bicep. What angers me more, is lifting what I lift and then watching that same person that criticized my ways of doing things, struggle on what I warm up with. Everyone has an ego, some people just internalize it while others broadcast it. CrossFit brings out the "Alpha" mentality which causes feud between other "Alphas" (Hence the battle between BB.com V.S CrossFit, etc). I appreciate I gave a Globo-Gym example not a CrossFit example. This is because both communities have "That guy" (Don't be "that guy" folks).
Every fitness regime has its faults. Depending on what your goals are, you will see different faults in different programs. Mindset also plays a pivotal role in ones opinions on CrossFit.

New Example:If "John Smith's" first experience with CrossFit was being told by Tube Top Tammy or Knee Socks Malone (Have to keep it gender neutral, don't want to offend the thin-skinned) that he is not "Elite" because he is not into CVFM@HI. His first impression is going to be negative. From a psychological perspective, he is going to search for a confirmation bias that what he saw reflects the community and their ways of going about things. He then goes home and googles "CrossFit". He clicks on a few videos that pop up on "Youtube". What he sees are women dressed like hookers, dudes wearing cut off jean shorts,knee socks and pink bandana's violently throwing their body around at a high intensity, with poor form,and eventually dropping to the dirt like they were Falcon Punched in the privates causing them to convulse on the ground in the fetal position writhing in pain (Note: Not saying all have poor form or dress like idiots, just highlighting "the worst of the worst" of situations that I have seen.) He is going to view this as laughable and ridiculous and might add this to the negative memory he experienced prior to viewing whatever it was he just saw (My description sounds a bit like a spinoff of a Village People's act but whatever).

In order to avoid this negative schema, I think it is necessary to hold affiliates accountable and silence the instigators (not gonna happen- pipe dream, I know). Just my 0.02, half of this might have come out as verbal diarrhea as I am currently in a post-Thanksgiving turkey coma. I will end on the note that I was playing devils advocate for a portion. I am an avid CrossFitter, but am also way too laid back to care about the war over which fitness routine is better. I believe if everyone turned their focus towards the epidemic known as obesity (rather than which program is better), the world would not be in the situation it is right now.

-Matt

PREACH!
Old 10-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #92
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Holy Overquote, Batman.

- Robin
Old 10-08-2012, 03:05 PM   #93
Struan Potter

Profile:

People hate on CrossFit because they feel they have to have an opinion on everything.

I'll preface by saying I don't do CF because it doesn't suit my goals, but I don't mind CF, it is what it is and I respect everyone who does it.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:57 PM   #94
Russell Greene

Profile:

I read about the stereotypical elitist bozo CrossFitter online much more than I interact with him in person. Most CrossFitters I meet are intelligent and open-minded people, certainly much more than the general population.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:33 AM   #95
Steve Wingate

Profile:

My bodybuilding/powerlifting friends hate it because:

- They see kipping pullups as poorly done pullups and ineffective lat builders, to which I reply that isn't the goal.
- They share the Youtube WOD with the worst form they can find and assume everyone sacrifices form for rep count, I tell them thats why there's group instruction.
- They don't see anyone lifting big weights (and they ignore the Robb Orlando/Dave Lipson wods I show them)
- They just hate everything that isn't pure strength.

I challenge them to do the DT wod and none of them take me up on it.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:33 PM   #96
Steve Liberati

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wingate View Post
My bodybuilding/powerlifting friends hate it because:

- They see kipping pullups as poorly done pullups and ineffective lat builders, to which I reply that isn't the goal.
- They share the Youtube WOD with the worst form they can find and assume everyone sacrifices form for rep count, I tell them thats why there's group instruction.
- They don't see anyone lifting big weights (and they ignore the Robb Orlando/Dave Lipson wods I show them)
- They just hate everything that isn't pure strength.

I challenge them to do the DT wod and none of them take me up on it.
No offense man, but bodybuilders shouldn't be pointing any fingers at CrossFitters for bad form. We can find hundreds of videos of bodybuilders doing some really silly and dumb stuff in the gym.

"They just hate everything that isn't pure strength." Ok so if it doesn't fit in their worldview then they hate it? Text book ignorance right there.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:28 PM   #97
Jesse Martin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Liberati View Post
No offense man, but bodybuilders shouldn't be pointing any fingers at CrossFitters for bad form. We can find hundreds of videos of bodybuilders doing some really silly and dumb stuff in the gym.
Most real bodybuilders have there head screwed on pretty straight in terms of training and definitely diet (more so then any athlete).

I think you are referring to the wanna be abercrombie model, every day is arm day broski...

trust me...bodybuilders hate that dude too.

The biggest criticism that I have seem from guys at the globo, guys with both physique and strength goals alike is the lack of structure in CF. You have to understand these are people who have specific goals and simply don't understand the concept of training with such a vague objective.

I will be completely honest: I still don't see what main site programming is supposed to accomplish other than perhaps cardiovascular fitness. You're not going to get that strong, muscle hypertrophy, or specific sport conditioning following that type of routine (or lack of). And that is where the disconnect lies. CrossFit says stuff like "routine is the enemy" and well, saying something stupid like that to somebody with a specific training objective in mind (like bodybuilding or powerlifing) is ignorant in it's own right. Those athletes follow very methodical, systematic routines because it works for those sports.

It's a double standard. Don't be ignorant to our sport but we can be ignorant to yours type of thing.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #98
Steve Liberati

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Martin View Post
I will be completely honest: I still don't see what main site programming is supposed to accomplish other than perhaps cardiovascular fitness.
GPP (General Physical Preparedness)
Old 10-09-2012, 10:05 PM   #99
Russell Greene

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Martin View Post
I will be completely honest: I still don't see what main site programming is supposed to accomplish other than perhaps cardiovascular fitness.
Jesse,

Here's a start: http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/CFJ-trial.pdf

Link is work/family safe.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:24 AM   #100
Jesse Martin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Greene View Post
Jesse,

Here's a start: http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/CFJ-trial.pdf

Link is work/family safe.
So it's objective is general fitness. That's fantastic for people with those goals. I think we can agree that there are multiple ways to skin that cat. We can make the argument that CF is probably a more efficient way of doing so (compared to what you can access in a typical globo gym), but it also comes at a greater expense (in terms of cost and risk).

But what about people who's goal aren't general fitness? Is CF superior for achieving those goals too? I don't think so, and that is where ignorance comes into play just as much on CF end as it does vise versa.

Anyways, this all was covered in this thread. I was just commenting on Steve's post where he brings up ignorance displayed by other athletes.