CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #1
Kyle McDermid

Profile:
Thumbs up Fantastic quote from Scott Abel

"Its the most common trainee mistake out there - 99% of your training should be focused on "building" strength or conditioning or work capacity - NOT testing it! Yet most trainees mistakenly invert this equation. What you do today should be based on what you did yesterday and what you will be doing tomorrow and even next week! This is the difference between "a workout" and "a program" - All these "group" workouts where you can go and have the hell-beaten out of you - may feel like you've done something - but they aren't "building" anything - in the true adaptive sense and intention of the term."
Old 08-16-2012, 04:48 PM   #2
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:
Re: Fantastic quote from Scott Abel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McDermid View Post
"Its the most common trainee mistake out there - 99% of your training should be focused on "building" strength or conditioning or work capacity - NOT testing it! Yet most trainees mistakenly invert this equation. What you do today should be based on what you did yesterday and what you will be doing tomorrow and even next week! This is the difference between "a workout" and "a program" - All these "group" workouts where you can go and have the hell-beaten out of you - may feel like you've done something - but they aren't "building" anything - in the true adaptive sense and intention of the term."
Meh, fantastic is overstating it a bit. Most folks on here who know how to build strength, conditioning or work capacity properly, are well aware of the fact that engaging in long workouts just for the sake of feeling like you've worked really hard does little to help the afore mentioned areas of fitness.

I guess we can thank Scott Abel for stating the obvious?
Old 08-16-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
Matt Thomas

Profile:

The Bulgarians disagree...

disclaimer: I KNOW all the counter arguments to my statement. I was just being cheeky.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:56 PM   #4
Chris Mason

Profile:

I'm not much of a fan of Abel. I actually had him write a couple of articles for my site a while back. The ironic thing to me is that his criticisms are often more or less fabricated in that he is railing against something that just isn't prevalent (along the lines of what Dustin said).

He also uses and often misuses "big" words and or scientific jargon to make himself appear more astute than he really is.

I think the guy is a good trainer, but he tries too hard to present himself as something more than he is.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:59 PM   #5
Ryan Dell Whitley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
I'm not much of a fan of Abel. I actually had him write a couple of articles for my site a while back. The ironic thing to me is that his criticisms are often more or less fabricated in that he is railing against something that just isn't prevalent (along the lines of what Dustin said).

He also uses and often misuses "big" words and or scientific jargon to make himself appear more astute than he really is.

I think the guy is a good trainer, but he tries too hard to present himself as something more than he is.
Classy.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:07 PM   #6
Chris Mason

Profile:

Not sure if that was sarcasm? Do you think I expressed my opinion harshly?