CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-17-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
Evan Peikon

Profile:
Dynamic Effort: Upper Body

I know the regular westisde template uses 8x3@50%+Chains or bands on bench press for dynamic effort upper days. But, i wanted to know if it'd still be effective to do the former with overhead press (military press).
Im not really sure, and I've read the westside book of methods and it wasn't mentioned. So I'm more or less going off of other black box experiments right now
Old 05-17-2012, 10:19 AM   #2
Paulo Santos

Profile:
Re: Dynamic Effort: Upper Body

Yes, you can do that.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
Evan Peikon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
Yes, you can do that.
One more question. Would it work with a pulling movement. Say penally rows, or Pullups where the band is pulling you towards the ground
Old 05-17-2012, 11:31 AM   #4
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

I've done a few 3 week cycles of DE presses. Just be careful not to turn it into a push press. It's easiest to set up with chains and lots of fun, bands you need to be a little more creative. Really helps with the lockout. I haven't done them consistently enough to see if they really transfer over to the press since I typically do DE bench work instead.

In regards to bands with pullups/rows, I've done it not for DE work but typically rep stuff and it adds another way to hit your body.

I think trying DE pulling/row movements could be helpful, I think most Westsiders don't do it because they work DE for their comp lifts which doesn't include a row. If you do it, do it for at least 6-8 weeks to see how it has helped.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:52 PM   #5
Chris Mason

Profile:

DE work for upper back doesn't really make much sense as there is little application for rowing movements which are explosive. I think even a row would not necessarily want to do such training as their stroke is a more controlled effort (just guessing)?

When you ask if you can DE overhead press and would it work, what are you wanting it to translate to?
Old 05-17-2012, 07:08 PM   #6
Evan Peikon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
DE work for upper back doesn't really make much sense as there is little application for rowing movements which are explosive. I think even a row would not necessarily want to do such training as their stroke is a more controlled effort (just guessing)?

When you ask if you can DE overhead press and would it work, what are you wanting it to translate to?
General overhead strength/ explosivness I suppose. Particularly helping to explode out of the bottom of a ring handstand pushup , as I have trouble locking those out after I get 3/4 the way up
Old 05-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #7
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Peikon View Post
General overhead strength/ explosivness I suppose. Particularly helping to explode out of the bottom of a ring handstand pushup , as I have trouble locking those out after I get 3/4 the way up
Ok, then I would say yes if done properly. I would try to find a way to do it with bands.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:28 PM   #8
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

When I've used bands for pressing I've done it by using the safety pins as the power rack as the bottom attachment point. That way I can vary the height to have some tension at the bottom and tension at the top. You can either choke them or double them up. Possible a light or mini band-not choked or double up might work from base, but it might also depend on how tall you are.