CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-18-2004, 08:56 PM   #1
Tyler Scarborough

Profile:  
I logged on tonight and was peaking at the next three WOD when I noticed several quotes about Kipping on pullups. Im kind of new to most of the fitness methodology (not sure if that's the right term for it) so Im not exactly understanding the significance of Kipping? I had been under the impression (however wrong it might have been) that kipping was more a form of cheating on a pullup. However after various things I've read particularly in the quotes on the WOD's

"The strict pull-up is to the kipping pull-up as the military press is to the push-press. More superstition than fact supports the strict standard." (If I could be so enlightened as to what this means)

And. . .

"Our Scott Blanchard went from 10 to 37 pull-ups and then Cornell’s Medical School made him a professor. We told him from the start that pull-ups are important. (He kips.)"

What is it that is so important with the "kip"? By the way I am increasingly impressed and motivated with the very impressive numbers people around here have on their pullups. Sorry this was long, I did a post but couldn't find much. Thanks.

-Tyler

Old 08-19-2004, 12:32 AM   #2
Christopher Sommer

Profile:

Tyler,

The following link will give you a good introduction to kipping or chinese pull-ups.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/20/4098.html

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Old 08-19-2004, 05:11 AM   #3
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
"Where in the World is Bxx Gxxxxxx... LMAO!

-Kevin
Old 08-19-2004, 09:24 AM   #4
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Great information, as usual, Coach Sommer. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:13 PM   #5
Tyler Scarborough

Profile:  
Thanks Coach Sommer just what I was looking for. After reading through it I tried some as you suggested, man what a new challenge. Grip was sore for an hour afterward.
Old 08-21-2004, 12:28 AM   #6
James R. Climer

Profile:
Trying the kip as best I can understand by reading, I can definitely get five good reps to the sternum (with a pause at the top), after that I can't even get another single in strict form. I suspect the kip is loading the muscles in a different way.
Old 08-23-2004, 03:27 PM   #7
Josh Daniel

Profile:  
Coach Sommer's link is really helpful. Does anyone have a link to a video demo of kipping? It would still help to see someone in action.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:05 PM   #8
Mike Minium

Profile:
For anyone who wants to see some high quality kipping on video, why not buy the CrossFit DVD? You get to see kipping pull-ups plus a lot more.

For me, the $20 I paid for it ended up being a steal.

Mike
Old 08-24-2004, 09:52 AM   #9
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
I think it's already been mentioned that there's some correlation between the motion of some of the O-lifts (or variations thereof) and the kipping motion used in pull-ups. A couple of days ago I achieved a new PR (39, up from 33) with minimal practice in pull-ups outside of the WOD.

I've been trying to identify factors that lead to the increase. I did use chalk for the first time so that may have had something to do with it. Perhaps I've gotten stronger, but I don't think that can account for a 6 rep increase in only a few months (especially at 215# bodyweight).

I think the biggest factor was that I had warmed up with some light weight snatches. When I started to perform the pull-ups I was able to get in the kipping groove a lot faster than normal. I think it's because of the similarities involved in snatching and kipping pull-ups.

In the snatch, your using (mostly straight) arms and a pulling motion with your lats/shoulders to position yourself under the bar with your arms locked out in a position slightly behind your head.

In the kipping pull-up it's almost the same thing. If you start from the top, like Coach Sommer suggests, you push yourself under the bar in a position to maximize momentum. For me, this is almost identical to finishing position of the snatch (arms locked overhead, forward head position relative to bar).

Also, and this is pure speculation, but there may have been some antagonistic benefit going on. In the snatch, the shoulders and lats are used to help propel the body underneath a weighted bar. With pull-ups, the shoulders/lats are used to propel the body up towards a stationary bar (kind of like snatching in reverse).

Tossing around ideas in an attempt to figure it all out.

Ryan
Old 08-24-2004, 02:13 PM   #10
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Ryan,

Thank you for the post. I'm still learning how to kip; I'll work in some of your ideas.