CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-08-2003, 06:48 AM   #1
Roy

Profile:

I just started the armstrong pullup program this morning(with the 3 sets max pushups) and then I ate and ran the 5K WOD. Im heading over to the bar at the local playground(in about 10 minutes!) to do day 1 which is the 5 sets of max effort pullups.

The pushups really helped wake me up and put me in a great mood. This is not my normal morning, so I already like that.

My question is, has anyone ever done this program accurately and does it really work? I've had a lifelong goal to reach over (or at least) 20 real overhand pull ups, and therefore, I want to abide to this program as a priority.

As for the WOD's, should I modify them if they call for pullups and/or pushups and replace them with abs or something?

Most importantly, who has done the armstrong program and does it work?
Old 09-08-2003, 09:54 AM   #2
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Roy,

If you do a search on Armstrong in the search feature of this message board, you'll find several posts on this topic. Personally, I've had success with the program - up to a point. Others have had good results from simply doing rounds of pull-ups in their warm up or cool down routine.

Good luck in getting your 20.

-Ryan
Old 09-08-2003, 07:04 PM   #3
Roy

Profile:

Well, in that case, I will be the "Experiment" and see how well it works to following it perfectly. I'll keep you all posted by the week to see how its going, and we'll let the results speak for themselves.

Cheers

Roy
Old 09-08-2003, 08:57 PM   #4
Brian Lanier

Profile:  
Roy,

I have been trying to integrate Major Armstrong's plan with CF, with suggestions from Ryan and others. Basicly, I do the AS on days when CF doesn't specificly hit pullups, in addition to the WOD. I am a Marine, so doing pullups is of particular interst to me (it is part of our physical fitness test). My immediate goal is 20 (max for the PFT), which I plan to reach using AS and CF (I did 17 last week). After that, I will see how I progress towards my goal of 40 with just CF.

Best of luck

Brian Lanier
Old 09-11-2003, 04:51 PM   #5
Andrew Cattermole

Profile:
Hey
I have had a lot of success with Ladder format.
Do 1 then rest 20 sec do 2 etc 1-Max-1.Or combine it in a circuit ladder,1 push up 1 chin up 1 dip 1 BW squat 2 push up etc 1-whatever-1.
Consider trying Lock Off in top positon for a slow count on every rep.
Hope that Usefull
Andy
Old 09-16-2003, 01:49 PM   #6
David Cooke, Jr.

Profile:
I suggest reading up on Pavel Tsatsouline's "grease the groove" and/or "ladder" protocols. Friends of his in their 60's have achieved pull up maxes of >20 reps in less than 90 days. Check out the articles at cbass.com.
Good luck
D
Old 09-17-2003, 05:10 AM   #7
Jeff Arms

Profile:  
I used the program on top of the workouts and ended up hurting my biceps somehow. This was about 2 months ago and it still hurts a little. Never got it seen about, and just now able to do some chinning about 1-2 times a week. So be careful of over using this, listen to your body, which I did not.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:33 AM   #8
JEREMY BUKER

Profile:  
sorry about the canadian ars reference. this program just might give you the strong ars you want as well! :-)
Old 10-14-2003, 11:35 AM   #9
JEREMY BUKER

Profile:  
the arstron workout does work. i blew myself away by goin from 15 to 20 plus in just three weeks. Have heart, stay with it and you will reach your goal