CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 04-07-2008, 08:43 AM   #71
Bob Guere

Profile:
Re: Heart skipping a beat?

Thanks for all the info Frank. It's becoming an interesting set of conditions that I think some of use are piling on a few at at time and are, for some reason, particularly vulnerable.

I don't think I could say "no" to any of the conditions we've talked about; caffeine, rest/exhaustion, adrenaline, low electrolytes.... All or some of those conditions have been present on the days I experience my PACs. The one weekend I really stretched out the lack of rest preceded my run of more than a week of regular symptoms.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:25 AM   #72
Bob Guere

Profile:

Follow up... I have an appointment with a cardiologist near me who came recommended by the NASA flight surgeon here where I work. He's "as good as anyone you'll find in the world" he said. I guess that's as good of a recommendation as I could get. Hopefully he's right!
Old 04-07-2008, 10:48 AM   #73
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Sounds like a pretty high opinion! Hope something materializes for you...
Keep us updated.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:00 AM   #74
Bob Guere

Profile:

Update time...

I didn't see the cardiologist last week, work was hectic and I am seeing my primary Dr. this week, so I decided to postpone. I was feeling ok the last few days, even with regular WODs. We ran Saturday morning, (got a 5k PR ) and then worked on my landscaping for 5-6 hours after that... in the CA sun!

This was a recipe (:stir for dehydration and exhaustion, so I hydrated well and stopped around 3 in the afternoon. Here's where I started to Frack-Up. I had a cup of coffee after a nice shower and was relaxing... we had to go to a friend's house that night to have a short stay at his daughter's 16th B-Day party, but left early since it was really not for us, all the youngens were there. She's a good kid though and we wanted to wish her well and drop her a c-note.... Aaaaanyway. I had a cup of coffee there! (I've been accused of being an idiot now and then). I know better than to have a cup of coffee in the afternoon now, let alone another one at night. Let's just say my sleep that night was below adequate. I only got about 3-4 hours total and that was not continuous. This messed me up on Sunday, and my heart told me so. I had 4 or 5 episodes of PACs.... so I did a lot of nothing yesterday and went to bed early. I didn't feel well at all yesterday.

Today, for some reason, I have an overwhelming need to use smilies... don't know if there is a physiological connection or not.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:11 AM   #75
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Must be all the coffee making you want to use the smilies! lol

I did all the WOD this weekend and had 2 cups of coffee yesterday. Worked in the yard as well after doing my first ever 5k.

No extra beats... haven't even been drinking gatorade.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:17 AM   #76
Bob Guere

Profile:

How was your 5K Camille? My wife hammered a PR also on her 5K. She hates to run (mostly because she's never done it regularly ever), but she knocked 17 seconds off her last one. I also added a separate listing on my blog down the right side to keep track of our 5Ks. I find it hard to find my 5k posts....
Old 04-14-2008, 12:59 PM   #77
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Uh.. well... I'm glad I made it. And... I ran slowly to be conservative. I wasn't sure if I would hit my own little wall at some surprising point, so I kept my pace slow and steady. I had no idea what to expect.
Did it in 36 mins. Next time, I will push harder in the 2nd half (trying to make sure I don't die too early! lol)
I don't think I've ever run that far. In fact, I was amazed when I started CF that I could be on the treadmill for 22 minutes. I did this on pavement. Definitely a MAJOR improvement from where I was 2 months ago. I can't believe how much improvement I've seen. I couldn't have made 5k 2 months ago. No way.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:37 PM   #78
Bob Guere

Profile:

That's awesome. For me, the 5k is a good barometer (so to speak) for my overall fitness gains. I've run off and on most of my life... too much "off" though.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:52 AM   #79
Scott R Martin

Profile:

Hi all,
I'm a cardiologist and am just starting Crossfit. While I cannot offer any specific medical advice over the internet, I can address some general issues that you've been discussing:

- "skipped beats" or palpitations are very common. When we do a Holter monitor and can correlate a patient's symptoms noted in a diary with the heart rhythm at that time, the most common heart rhythm is normal sinus. That is, most often when people feel a skipped heart beat nothing actually happened abnormal in their heart. Next most common are premature beats (PAC and PVC) you've mentioned. Rarely (but not never) are more serious arrhythmias such as atrial fibrillation, PSVT, or VT seen. These are particularly rare if you are fit and have no history of heart attack or heart failure. So overall, my level of concern would be low

-more worrisome features would be palpitations lasting longer than 30 seconds, feeling lightheaded at the time, having chest pain at the time, or actually passing out. These features should prompt urgent medical attention

-if a benign arrhythmia is occuring, decreasing caffeine intake can sometimes help

-While risk of major problems is low, seeking medical attention is a good idea. Patients referred to a cardiologist with palpitations will typically have a workup consisting of an EKG and some combination of echocardiogram, Holter monitor, stress test. Often all are normal. If workup is normal, there is generally no indication to cut back on exercise or take any medication

-if you are healthy, and have never passed out, I would not be concerned by an asymptomatic low resting heart rate, even to the low 30s. This is actually common in athletes, but most people do not measure their heart rate while sleeping

-palpitations are rarely caused by electrolyte abnormalities in healthy people not taking medications, and in general increasing potassium intake will not make a difference. The situation is different if you are taking blood pressure medications, particularly diuretics.

-do not assume that your physician has specialized knowledge about your problem. A number of times I've seen patients who have received stupid advice from their internist. The same applies to musculoskeletal issues; I am board-certified in Internal Medicine as well and moonlight in an ER, and there I've seen patients frequently given diagnosis of "muscle strain" when they actually have other joint problems. The good thing is that most musculoskeletal complaints get better on their own with ice/rest/NSAIDs.

Hope this helps
Scott
Old 04-18-2008, 08:27 AM   #80
Bob Guere

Profile:

Scott,

First of all, thank you so much for your educated input. As I've mentioned, I seem to have a grasp on the recipe for bringing on PACs now, whether or not there is a logical correlation, I can "black box" them into fruition by not getting enough sleep the night after a hard workout... and too much caffeine. My original episode lasted over a week, with an average of about 5-10 perceived PACs an hour.... many of which were captured on my holter monitor test.

My doctor this week was not overtly concerned about the PACs, and was mildly concerned about my heart rate again. I told him my father (life time endurance runner and 73 yo) has a resting heart rate consistently in the 30s. He said, and I quote, "resting heart rate has nothing to do with fitness level whatsoever". I was very surprised by this statement. I said, "what? really?"... like I really believed him. Tell me he is misinformed....

Anyway, I'm a lot less stressed about this now that I can keep it in check. I ran a 28 minute 5k yesterday (tied my PR from last week), got my heart rate up to 172 in the last 200m, and it was down to 65 within 10 minutes.