CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 04-03-2008, 05:58 PM   #61
Camille Lore

Profile:  
Re: Heart skipping a beat?

Just stopped by your blog- what are the precursors you've found?
I just got my left eye twitch... wonder if all this salt is going to lead to my having some irregular beats...I'll post if it does.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:23 AM   #62
Bob Guere

Profile:

I feel "out of breath" ... but that's only the best way I can describe it. I feel like I'm constantly at the end of a very complete exhale...and my breaths are only 1/2 breaths.... does that make sense? I also seem to be notice my heartbeat more pronounced, but not that it's "heavy" or "hard".... it could just be my raised awareness.

I am starting to think my condition is partly (or mostly) caffeine related.... So, I'm sticking to no more than 2 caffeine bevs a day for a while.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:17 AM   #63
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Hmmm interesting.
Congrats on the pullup, btw! Great isn't it? I didn't want to count my first one either... but then I got a solid, very slow one.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:56 PM   #64
Carl Pawluk

Profile:

Ok...Sorry I haven't updated my situation, but that's because I forgot to get the halter monitor a couple of weeks ago, then I just figured I'd cut the caffeine and see if it would go away. It did. BUT...

I've had a cup of coffee just about everyother day for a week with no problem. Today I got my butt kicked doing "Gwen" then the wife and I went to dinner and a movie. At dinner, I had an episode, then in the movie, it occurred twice.

Weeks ago, I had my blood checked and as I stated before, everythings great. WHY is this happening?

To all of you- Did you have any of these episodes prior to crossfit? I have never until now. What gives? I've been drinking coffee for the past couple of years while doing normal workouts and haven't had this happen before.

My wife just had a good point. This is happening to me during recovery, usually hours after working out. Is this the case with you guys as well?
She also suggested maybe I only do a couple of crossfit workouts per week and just do traditional stuff the rest of the time. I've been doing strictly the CF WOD schedule. Are you all strict CFers?

-Carl
Old 04-05-2008, 12:12 AM   #65
Camille Lore

Profile:  

I'm a strict CFer, although new since January.
I used to get these more when I drank sweet tea a lot. I'm thinking that caffeine is a factor, as well as too much sodium as related to potassium...
Just my personal thoughts from trying to watch when its happening...
Old 04-05-2008, 09:53 AM   #66
Bob Guere

Profile:

Carl,

I guess I would have to say "yes" to the episodes during recovery. Outside of the initial period that lasted days (when I was "overtrained") I've only had those in the evening, after workouts. Also, even when I feel them coming on, but don't get them, is after a hard workout, or lately, workout consisting of very hard landscaping work. Trenching, shoveling, digging, more shoveling, more digging....

Good connection, I'll keep an eye on it. I, like Camille, do notice the symptoms more pronounced when caffeine is a player. I CF'ed for a week solid, following the WODs, and didn't feel anything until two days in a row that I had 3 cups of coffee vice 1 or 2.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:09 PM   #67
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Guys.. hearts skips.. whether they are premature Atrial beats or premature ventricular beats are from an excitation of electric impulse to make your heart beat. The excitation can come from either organic reason ( the sa or av nodes ie natural pacemaker is firing a weak spark to make the heart muscle to contract and the other smaller pacemakers are not receiving ample spark to fire. Or a chemical stimulus like caffeine, tobacco, alcohol, drugs both medication or street drug. Saying that, a more easily explain stimulation to point to is... adrenalin. It is possible for people who have excess adrenaline secretion to have arrhythmias. pvcs/pat are arrhythmias.

Let ask you this.. after your workouts, do you urinate constantly regardless of fluid intake?

!0 percent of the population have pvc/pat and are not problematic. But of those 10%, the ones that have 15-20% of total heart beats are skipping.. then its a problem.

I am NOT SAYING THAT IS YOUR CAUSE of but it does behoove you to get medically cleared of this problem as its also the warning signs and symptoms of a larger issue that can be VERY LIFE THREATENING. (DISCLAMIER)
Old 04-05-2008, 01:34 PM   #68
Carl Pawluk

Profile:

Frank,

I'm not sure what your medical background is...

It's hard for me to judge urine output because I'm not real consistent with my water intake. Some days I drink a couple of gallons. Some days I don't.

About the adrenaline. I hadn't noticed any of these signs and symptoms prior to CF. Could CF cause an increase in adrenaline secretion?

I guess on the days that I scale my WOD too far back, I don't notice the heart stuff, but l killed "Gwen" the other day, and boom... heart go funny!

-Carl
Old 04-05-2008, 05:22 PM   #69
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Weeeell... I had 3 cups of coffee today and nothing.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:58 AM   #70
Frank E Morel

Profile:

I'm not sure what your medical background is...
RN critical care 20 years

It's hard for me to judge urine output because I'm not real consistent with my water intake. Some days I drink a couple of gallons. Some days I don't.
-this was a side question but I am interested in AFTER workouts.. not usual toileting patterns with daily fluid intake.

About the adrenaline. I hadn't noticed any of these signs and symptoms prior to CF. Could CF cause an increase in adrenaline secretion?

surely its happening.. your at your last 5 reps, gasping for air, your muscles are spent, your exhausted, yet you grab the barbell and rip of those reps til your done and then all to the fall to the floor.

not noticing before comment. well, either your activity wasnt as intense as crossfitting. or it was there happening and you were just not paying attention. ie.. using the car on sundays, vs long commute .. once the commuting is daily.. you notice the engine is pinging, knocking, and getting poor gas mileage.

I guess on the days that I scale my WOD too far back, I don't notice the heart stuff, but l killed "Gwen" the other day, and boom... heart go funny!
your answer is going to be in the holter.

camille... caffine is a possible. it maybe not a trigger for you but for 50 others, its the sole trigger.