CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 03-22-2008, 01:34 PM   #41
Brad Thompson

Profile:
Re: Heart skipping a beat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Guere View Post
I just feel slow today.
I don't mean to disregard the vitamin/mineral/diet issues, but this was what my dad said often up until he had the procedure I posted earlier in this thread. Might be worth a mention to you Dr...
Old 03-23-2008, 08:32 PM   #42
Bob Guere

Profile:

Yes, you are right, and I have mentioned it. Thanks for the post just the same, though. I think I'm going to see the cardiologist on my own even if the family doc doesn't send me there.

This weekend, all I did was run a 5k yesterday. We ate a big lunch for Easter today, had pasta, bread, veggies, chicken breast... you name it. Last night I cooked up a tri-tip (first of the year) and had about 1/4 cup of baked beans along with asparagus, salad and even a whole wheat dinner roll. Point is, I feel great this weekend. No heart palpitations at all that I've noticed.

I'm not giving up on the zone though. My black boxing that I mentioned will officially commence tomorrow. For instance, my egg salad lunch will have 2 slices of whole wheat bread. I avoided bread a lot when I was strict zoning. I'm really starting to think this is diet-related, even though my blood tests so far have been normal.

We plan on doing the WODs this week (picking up todays clean and jerks tomorrow) and doing the black box diet to see how I feel and how my body fat percentage changes over the next few weeks.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:50 AM   #43
Brad Thompson

Profile:

Good idea to see the Cardiologist.

I am glad to read your experiences with the Zone. I really have a hard time believing it's perfect for everyone. I'm 6'4 and 245, not looking to lose too much weight... I find it to be very difficult/impossible to get full on the Zone.

Are you going to blog your black box outcomes?
Old 03-24-2008, 06:52 AM   #44
Bob Guere

Profile:

Brad, I'll be blogging for sure. My blog is in my signature block below. I was just going to make a post as a matter of fact logging my breakfast.

Thanks.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:00 AM   #45
Brad Thompson

Profile:

I'll be watching.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:22 AM   #46
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Me too. I'm very interested to see how this progresses.
I still haven't had any flutters lately, but I have had some twitches in my thigh muscles....no eye twitching either tho.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:32 AM   #47
Bob Guere

Profile:

Thanks folks, I try to blog everyday anyway, so I should have no problem keeping my blog updated with my black box progress.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:23 AM   #48
Trampas Hutches

Profile:

I had this same thing back in Sept. Working in the Cardiac Catheterization lab where we "fix" these kind of problems the worst ones hit my mind first (as always if you are in the medical field). I talked to one of my Cardiologists and then we did an Echocardiogram (ultrasound of the heart), EKG and of course during the EKG nothing just slow heart rate of 44 bpm. I am glad I did the Echo however it showed I had a "leaky" valve and slightly enlarged heart. The Echo tech was concerened until they put my stats in the machine for the calculation (6'6" 260) then it was a little closer to normal. Then we strapped the 24 hr holter monitor on. After it was analyzed it was determined that I had the normal amount of arrythmnias but since my heart rate at rest was slow it took longer for the heart to repolarize making it feel like it was a lot bigger than it was. Also when ever I had caffeine it amplified the problem. So now no caffeine and it seems to be keeping it to a min.

Also, for fun, some of my co-workers and I took treadmill stress tests last week (slow week). It is where we are hooked up to a special treadmill that monitors your BP and EKG while going through 3 min stages where at the end of each stage it speeds up and inclines more I made it to the 5th and final stage and it was @ 5.2 mph and a 20% incline it was killer. Much to my delight not one single arrythmnia and my HR was at 204 for the last min of the test. My max predicted HR is 189 so it has pretty much eased my concerns not only that but I won my bet that I could beat out everyone at the stress test (thanks to crossfit!!)
Old 03-24-2008, 08:32 AM   #49
Bob Guere

Profile:

Trampas,

Thanks for the post. Question; how do I pick a cardiologist? None of my friends and co-workers have had the need to vist so I can't get a recommendation from a trusted source... are there online sources? There are a bunch of doctors here near where I live, just don't know where to start to pick one. I'd rather find a recommended doc then just going where my family doc sends me.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:26 AM   #50
Trampas Hutches

Profile:

Well it was easy for me since I work amongst them and I KNOW what kind of work that they do. Most people dont have that luxury though. I would look for a Cardiologist that does Electro Physiology (EP) Studies, that is the way they go about fixing a potentially bad arrythmia. There is no way of knowing if they do them unless you ask. That way if you do have to have an EP study done you will already have a rapport with the doc instead of having to go through yet another referral. Usually the bigger the group of Cardiologists the more access they have to top technological advancements, not always thugh. Unfortunately it is not unlike taking your car to a mechanic...you never know how good the mechanic is until after the work has been done.