CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 02-16-2005, 08:55 PM   #1
Mike Yukish

Profile:
I know Mark T. does obviously, and I've seen Scott Parker's posts and a few others. Who else on here climbs regularly? What's been the impact of CF on your climbing? How have you tailored it (if so) to climbing?

Curious...
Old 02-16-2005, 09:09 PM   #2
Mike Minium

Profile:
Mike,

Rob Miller, whose picture you may have seen on the CF main page a few times, has become a fixture at CFHQ.

He does the WOD unmodified (not tailored to climbing), as far as I know, and is seeing some great results. I'm pretty sure he's not one of the online community members, though, so I'm not sure he'll be able to validate my observation that he does the WOD unmodified.

Might be a good question to ask Coach during this Sunday's broadcast of CrossFit Live. He can probably fill you in on Rob's training program.

Mike
Old 02-17-2005, 07:45 AM   #3
Mike Yukish

Profile:
One of the reasons I ask, is that on another forum a climber who has authored a respected book on training for climbing used words such as "silly", "dubious", "inefficient", and "long on hype, short on science" in describing aspects of crossfit, if not the whole thing.

I obviously disagree, but was curious to hear other climber's comments beyond Mark. Maybe this thread should be in the Fitness category.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:25 AM   #4
Karl Steadman

Profile:
Hi Mike,

I'm a climber and have been for years.....since finding CrossFit it has done nothing but improve my strength and endurance for it.

Not a scientific answer i'm afraid, just my two pence worth!

Karl
Old 02-17-2005, 09:19 AM   #5
Grady McDonald

Profile:
Has this meatball tried it? Or is he "rating a route he's never been on"

Guys I've talked to on the forums calling out crossfit havn't tried it.

Squats, presses, oly lifts and muscle ups are long on hype, short on science?!?!? This guy sounds dubious and inefficient
Old 02-17-2005, 09:42 AM   #6
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I used to climb every weekend. I now have a tradition where I take each of my kids, individually, climbing once a year. We go up to Devil's lake in Wisconsin, camp, and climb for two days. Last summer I took my daughter up and set up a climb. Our "next door neighbors" on the rock were college age guys (we were top roping). I asked to climb their route (5.9 rating in the old book). This was the first time I climbed all year. Last time I climbed the route was in the 80s and it was a struggle (this was when I climbed every weekend). I hit the first move and without even breathing hard got to the top. I got a lot of "dude...that was awsome!" stuff. It wasn't mental imagery that got me to the top, it was Crossfit.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:36 PM   #7
Mike Yukish

Profile:
Has this meatball tried it? Or is he "rating a route he's never been on"

Here's a portion of the thread. It's via usenet, so do not expect a good signal to noise ratio. See Clyde's post.

http://tinyurl.com/3p6j8
Old 02-17-2005, 02:41 PM   #8
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
The marketing hype statement cracks me up. You could do crossfit and not spend a dime. You could buy everything off the website and still ring in under $200, this includes CFJ's, all t-shirts, dvd, and a sweatshirt. A 20 second purusal of the site doesn't even come close to giving you an idea of what CF is about.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:31 PM   #9
Rene Renteria

Profile:
I originally typed this up to post in a thread by MikeY elsewhere about how people started CrossFit. I had forgotten the acerbic nature of rec.climbing! I should go back and read some trip reports over the last year. I haven't gotten out much because of trying to deal with having a 14 month old. She's great! Some other people seem better at managing to do some of the "pre-baby" activities. They'll return, but slowly.

In the rec.climbing thread MikeY links, they talk about injuries, and I also worry about that with CrossFit. My form is bad for many of the exercises, so I need to be careful. I tweaked a shoulder trying cleans with some weight for the first time and am more careful now (I hope). I believe now that any tendency toward injury and bad form is mostly from my poor training in the past, when I obviously wasn't training--my flexibility, strength, connective tissue, what have you--properly or enough.

The last climb I did, I took a fall unroped on what should have been easy terrain (class 3) but wasn't because of new snow. I was in rock shoes and slipped on an icy boulder. I'm lucky I stopped before going over the cliff we had just climbed up. Here's a link to a writeup and pics from my partner:

http://www.stanford.edu/~wacziarg/cl...PalSept04.html

Deadlifts get me right on that scar on my shin and remind me about how I almost completely screwed the pooch that day. Anyway, here's what I was going to post:
-----

I’m not much of a climber, but it is something I love. And hate. And feel selfish and guilty about. And keep trying to make plans for more of my small trips. Workouts and I have always shared a similar relationship, maybe it’s laziness on my part or lack of discipline. I always wanted to be both strong and aerobically fit, but I always seemed to be either running consistently or lifting consistently, with lifting defined as doing a bunch of isolation exercises on machines for something like 5 sets of 8 reps. The climbing I did would punish weakness in either area, it became apparent. How to get both at the same time? Without having to spend twice as many hours in the gym? A new baby, lack of sleep, and committments for work were catching up, for me like for lots of people.

In August of last year, I saw a thread on the climbing newsgroup rec.climbing (was that you, MikeY?) talking about “crosstraining” for climbing, and CrossFit.com was discussed. Some derision was heaped on the ideas of the workouts. Other interesting weightlifting tangents were mentioned. A post to a CrossFit discussion board post by Mark Twight (“Doctor Doom”) was linked.

Mark Twight? That got my attention. I had some small idea of how much study he had put into training from his writings and had read accounts of several of his climbs--going long and hard over dangerous and difficult terrain and always striving for efficiency. And here was a testimonial for the CrossFit way.

I had been a fan of his writings and efforts for a while and had read his “Extreme Alpinism”, partly to try to work on my training weaknesses. (There are many.) I had started doing a more periodized training regimen based on the recommendations in his book and was in the power phase of it. I decided to do a Google search to see if he had maybe published anything else, written any articles, that sort of thing. I saw some mention of competitive shooting and wondered if he had “retired” from or backed off his climbing. I remember seeing a link to a site called CrossFit but didn’t follow it.

Fortunately, it came up again later in the summer, and my mind was open. So when I saw the link the second time, I followed it and of course spent a few hours trying to read everything on the site instead of doing the work I should have been doing. Now that was a good decision!

Thanks to all for the work that goes into this site. Not only has it done good things for my fitness, but it has also done good things for my attitude.

Here are links to the rec.climbing thread:
http://tinyurl.com/6dtg9

and Mark Twight’s post:
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/29/3983.html
Old 02-17-2005, 09:26 PM   #10
Mike Yukish

Profile:
In August of last year, I saw a thread on the climbing newsgroup rec.climbing (was that you, MikeY?)

Yep. Pretty tough crowd...been playing there since 1992, before WWW existed.