CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 08-23-2008, 06:22 PM   #71
Jerry Hill

Profile:
Re: Certs-Cash Cow and Over Hyped.

I have no idea why I'm posting...

But I find this thread funny...

6 years ago most of todays CrossFitters would be doing some BS bodybuilding routine in a globo gym...I know, I saw you there doing it...back then you were a Bodybuilder, powerlifter, or selectorized machine gerbil.

CrossFit Inc delivers 100's of fitness folks functional movement every weekend via all the different certs...yet folks complain "its too much".

WE are changing the face of fitness folks...celebrate it!

We used to get kicked out of gyms or hide in the corner, now we own 1,000!

Personally, I'll take delivering as many folks to CrossFit as we can over the BS that ruled years ago.

Get out of your chair, get off the keyboard and go train some folks!
(unless of course this is all about you)

In Strength,
Jerry
Old 08-23-2008, 06:48 PM   #72
Gabriel desGarennes

Profile:

I eventually plan to use my crossfit cert and be a trainer part time at an affiliate. Even if that never happens, it is some of the best 1k i ever spent. The instruction was top notch, and i walked away from it humbled in what i thought i knew and confident in new knowledge. Say what you will about the cost, but i think the fact that they are able to sell them out almost immediately, and the fact that nearly everyone who goes to one comes out happy as hell and wanting to go to another speaks for itself.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:08 AM   #73
Celio Silva

Profile:

Nice video Jerry!

Where did you find the red pipes for your paralletes? What size did you use?

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2008, 08:52 AM   #74
Aaron Trent

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Hill View Post
6 years ago most of todays CrossFitters would be doing some BS bodybuilding routine in a globo gym...I know, I saw you there doing it...back then you were a Bodybuilder, powerlifter, or selectorized machine gerbil.

In Strength,
Jerry
First: Powerlifting is not BS. If powerlifting is BS, then by default Weightlifting (and the Burgener Crew) is BS.
Second: You say PL is BS, then you say "in strength". Hmm, PLers know a thing or two about strength.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:04 AM   #75
Derek Franks

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Trent View Post
First: Powerlifting is not BS. If powerlifting is BS, then by default Weightlifting (and the Burgener Crew) is BS.
Second: You say PL is BS, then you say "in strength". Hmm, PLers know a thing or two about strength.
Aaron, re-read what he wrote. He did not call powerlifting BS. He stated that generally speaking 6 years ago people tended to fall into one of three categories ("Bodybuilder, powerlifter, or selectorized machine gerbil") and that most of today's crossfitters were bodybuilders.

Second, this really isn't meant as a dig, but it is humorous that a 136lb guy is defending powerlifting, given that 136lbs is probably the weekly food consumption weight of most powerlifters.

Last edited by Derek Franks : 08-24-2008 at 09:06 AM.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:37 AM   #76
Bart Hodlik

Profile:

Take in to account to, that Crossfit is now the "mania" that is taking hold. I think I read somewhere in here that CF is the fastest growing fitness program in the nation. So of course, the intrinsic value of the cert is going to change.
I think that the level 1 cert was originally intented for the people who were dedicated towards opening their own CF gym. But look at the photo's of the completed certs. Do we really expect all those people to open their own affiliate? If that were true, then life would get difficult really quick for all current affiliates.
I celebrate that so many people are coming to crossfit, but I also believe that some of them are on the bandwagon. Just like any other fitness craze had its bandwagon followers.
The CF'ers of old, who were here in the beginning, are going to see the changes the most.
And like several people here have said, the level 1 cert is the beginning. Any coach/trainer/call yourself whatever, worth any bit is going to recognize that the level 1 is only one step. Yes, Coach Glassman has made it so that is the bare minimum to become an affiliate. But if you were to stop there, life would quickly weed you out of the pack. Eternal continued education is what makes a coach good!
Old 08-24-2008, 09:54 AM   #77
Aaron Trent

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Franks View Post
Aaron, re-read what he wrote. He did not call powerlifting BS. He stated that generally speaking 6 years ago people tended to fall into one of three categories ("Bodybuilder, powerlifter, or selectorized machine gerbil") and that most of today's crossfitters were bodybuilders.

Second, this really isn't meant as a dig, but it is humorous that a 136lb guy is defending powerlifting, given that 136lbs is probably the weekly food consumption weight of most powerlifters.
Derek, he lumped PL in there with other things that he was calling BS.

Why in the F*** does my bodyweight keep being brought up? I am a bicycle racer with a body that is built around being competitive. I still appreciate sports that I do not compete in.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:14 AM   #78
Derek Franks

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Trent View Post
Derek, he lumped PL in there with other things that he was calling BS.

Why in the F*** does my bodyweight keep being brought up? I am a bicycle racer with a body that is built around being competitive. I still appreciate sports that I do not compete in.
Let me ask you this. If you don't want people commenting on it, then why do you have it listed (along with your height and bodyfat) in your sig?

I'll also add that I've spent my fair share of time around elite level cyclists. I've lined up against Lance Armstrong (saying that I raced against him is being pretty generous to me). Team-mates of mine won big races and national championships. In my opinion, most amateur cyclists would benefit from gaining some weight. They confuse their own builds with the builds of elite level cyclists (and their other genetic gifts). Most would benefit from an increased power to weight ratio and they aren't carrying enough muscle to optimize that equation.

Last edited by Derek Franks : 08-24-2008 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:17 AM   #79
Aaron Trent

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Franks View Post
Let me ask you this. If you don't want people commenting on it, then why do you have it listed (along with your height and bodyfat) in your sig?

I'll also add that I've spent my fair share of time around elite level cyclists. I've lined up against Lance Armstrong (saying that I raced against him is being pretty generous to me). Team-mates of mine won big races and national championships. In my opinion, most amateur cyclists would benefit from gaining some weight. They confuse their own builds with the builds of elite level cyclists (and their other genetic gifts). Most would benefit from an increased power to weight ratio and they aren't carrying enough muscle to optimize that equation.
I don't care if people comment on it, but using it as an ad hom is really unoriginal and lame.
I'm very happy that you have your opinion, but 136 is me gaining weight. I was 127lbs one year ago. I spent 5 intense months under the barbell and put on 9 pounds. I deadlifted 2x bwt, cranked out 22 pullups, and ran a 5:15 mile. I did all that with cerebral palsy(which keeps my weight lower than it would be), so I'd say that I'm well balanced. Any more advice?
Old 08-24-2008, 11:30 AM   #80
Jerry Hill

Profile:

Aaron,
You're quick on the trigger...
I've been around long enough to know not to argue on a message board.
Especially with someone who pulls out a quote and reads it wrong.

So I'll say I either misrepresented my message or you read it wrong.

I'll attempt again;
6 years ago most of todays CrossFitters would be doing some BS bodybuilding routine in a globo gym...(this is the BS that ruled years ago - there were very few powerlifters or O-lifters’ in a globo gym it was a sub-culture)

In general we had 3 choices back then; 20 years ago, I chose the powerlifting route...Bodybuilding and selctorized machines seemed so foreign.

As a former powerlifter and a strength and conditioning coach I’ve witnessed and experienced what has been going on in the gym for the past 20years. IF you came in 6 years ago (lets not even talk 20!) you would have been put on some BS bodybuilding routine by some BS trainer.

YES they would have told you it was the best way to increase your performance for cycling or sport…

The bar has been raised.
Greg Glassman has educated and inspired a whole new wave of trainer.
Will some stumble?
Will some forget the standard of excellence?
Hey it'll happen...but it's still a whole lot better!

We are changing the face of fitness my friend.

Celebrate it!

In Strength,
Jerry