CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 03-18-2007, 05:41 PM   #1
James Lewis

Profile:
Was looking over the comments for the WOD today. I have to say there are some pretty impressive results out there. I didn't do so well: I was only able to knock out a paltry 10 rounds in 12 minutes, and after that I did 10 minutes of Pilates ab work.

One example of someone's accomplishment was 31 rounds in 20 minutes. That means someone was completing 1.55 rounds of Cindy per minute! What an outstanding display of CF! That is such a high level of physical output that I don't think I could come close.

Just as a point of reference and to see how I measured up, I did 15 squats as fast as I possibly could while still maintaining great form. Took me 22 seconds. I did 10 pushups in exactly 9.8 seconds and it took me 7 seconds to do 5 perfect pullups. That means that without moving or accounting for time to transition from one exercise to the other (and with fresh muscles) my Cindy round took me 39 seconds. That means I could do 1.55 round in 60.45 seconds, nowhere near the pace of our 31 round hero.

So what do I have to do to get to that point? Is that person sacrificing any form to reach that lofty pinnacle? I know that after about 6 rounds I was feeling pretty darn tired but kept on plugging away. Is our CF hero simply not stopping, moving fluidly from the pullup bar, to squats to pushups without ceasing for 20 straight minutes? If so, I am so far behind the power curve that looking into the future, I'm not sure if I can ever hope to measure up to CF standards. If I am ever in the presence of someone as amazing as that, I will probably just crawl into my bed and pull the covers over my head.

Having reached the summit of 10 rounds, I guess my next goal will be 12+ rounds. Oh yeah, and a sub 21:43 5k and a 24 mph average on the Time Trial (bike) and a sub 2:20 Olympic triathlon time.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:21 PM   #2
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:
James,

I did 11 rds for my first Cindy in 11-05. In 9-06, I completed 24 rds with what I consider to be better and strict form. Kipping pull-ups help, as does pushing yourself hard in the WOD's, past the point you think possible. If this 47 yom can do 24 rds, I have little doubt than there are plenty of CF'ers doing 30. I'd skip the Pilates and do the extra 8 minutes of Cindy if you want to improve your Cindy score.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:04 PM   #3
Dale F. Saran

Profile:
James:
I did 12 in my first time at Cindy in late 2005. I'm good for 20 now, maybe more (I'm behind a couple of days and missed this one). If you're implying what I think you are, banish the thought. You needn't worry about what someone else posting online did or didn't do and how good or bad their form was. Do the best YOU can do - you'll be amazed at what will follow. By the by, there are some animals out there who can air squat like a rapid fire machine gun and do kipping pullups at a ripping speed.

Finally - there is nothing "paltry" about 10 rds in 12 minutes... but you should have continued and gotten maybe 14 or 15 in 20. Just keep on keeping on.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:42 AM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
It was an interesting workout. 15 rounds. Around 7, I was having a hard time whether I was on 7 or 8.

I didn't remember how to do frog kipping pulls or the heel toe snap. While my PU at the end were not as strong and high as the beginning, they still breezed through them.

Pushups became a slow point.

Squats were just sore to start on the first set. I could feel my knees and ankles just crinking. I should have been warmed up by then, but my quads were extremely tight from the get-go. It was more an exercise in form than speed.

All in all, I'm glad I just didn't throw up. I made the mistake of mixing something into my pre workout shake ( because I was just about starving after getting to the gym after a 90 min drive though I ate a sandwich right before that ) that I don't usually and I was still feeling as we started cindy 2 hours something later. It dogged me the whole night, but luckily it was just sitting in my stomach throughout vs wanting to come up. A bit dehydrated but glad I didn't hurl. Cleaning it up after really sucks and we have our nice gym.

I'll have to try Cindy again in about 2 weeks and dial in the sleep, food, and warmup and see where I'm at. The pushups will still suck but I usually can blow through leg stuff.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:56 AM   #5
Paul Findley

Profile:
James,

Safe link to Speedbag Timer

Try this. Pick your goal, Divide 20 minutes evenly, setup the timer to keep you on task, then become a Cindy machine.

Steady, deliberate, don't stop. It's "only" twenty minutes.

Enjoy!

Old 03-21-2007, 02:04 PM   #6
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:
James,
I am far from a Cindy stud and my first 4-5 rounds I average 40" a round or 1.5 per minute. I die off rapidly after that and have a PR of 24 on her, but I'm sure there are many animals that could hold that pace for 20 min. And more to the point, as Dale said, If I worry about other people in this arena I'll drive myself nutty, and still not make them "more honest" about their posts.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:20 PM   #7
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
So...first time you play golf, and you don't score like Tiger, do you assume he's a cheater, or just that you need some practice?

Comparing yourself, as a beginner, not even to the *average* scores, but to the *exceptional* scores, and attempting to draw conclusions about their performance, is kind of nuts.

Plenty of videos on the site will show the studs (and studettes) cranking 20+ squats in 20 seconds during Tabata intervals. Part of athleticism is not just perfect form, but perfect form applied with force, speed, power, and aggression. Few if any start there. The point is to *get* there.

You'll get there, or at least get better, but don't start by assuming everyone else is cheating.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:31 AM   #8
Don Stevenson

Profile:
I don't think there was anything in that first post that suggested he thought people were cheating!

One simple factor which is often overlooked in the speed of this type of workout is the stroke length per movement of each individual.

For example the record for Tabata squats is 27? per round but it's held by someone who is not exactly an NBA player and no matter how fit and fast you are you can only move so fast down and up!
Old 03-24-2007, 09:18 AM   #9
Greg Hamilton

Profile:
'So what do I have to do to get to that point?'
do all metcon workouts with personal maximum intensity for a few months or years or however long it takes.

'Is that person sacrificing any form to reach that lofty pinnacle?'
'no' in general and ideally, and probably 'yes' for a few. there are definitely crossfit studs that can do every bit of what you see posted, and probably more, with near perfect form. my hat is off to anybody that can truly blow through any of the metcon workouts with good form throughout, and this is what we should all continually strive to do. check out some crossfit vids for inspiration.

Is our CF hero simply not stopping, moving fluidly from the pullup bar, to squats to pushups without ceasing for 20 straight minutes?
'yes', in general and ideally, and probably 'no' for a few. again, check out some crossfit vids. you might catch them taking a quick rest or an extra breath or two.

I was only able to knock out a paltry 10 rounds in 12 minutes...Having reached the summit of 10 rounds, I guess my next goal will be 12+ rounds.
or just see how many you can do for the full 20 minutes, then try to improve on subsequent attempts.

james, it took me 3 months just to get where you are for your first attempt with 'cindy', and i'm not far ahead of you after 6 months. i can't tell if you're poking fun at yourself or doubting others or a little of both. either way, stay at this for a while and you will enjoy seeing your progress. if you're in doubt about others, check out a few crossfit vids.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:56 PM   #10
Charles Applin

Profile:
To be fair, you cannot compare yourself to another without knowing how they're doing the workouts.

Are they: Pull-ups: necking the bar, going chest deep w/ elbows going past centerline, not even going eyeball high. Push-ups: Chest to ground, hands close to shoulders or out for shorter movement. Squats: A2A, medicine ball, parallel. In addition, like others point out, the body types are different which affect speed.

The transitioning is in there too.

Personally, I like to compare my results to myself. I use the results of others as motivation.

PS: For Cindy, I follow a round/rest set-up. Last time I rested exactly 30 seconds between rounds (15 rounds, so 7 minutes of rest, 52 seconds average a round). Next time will be 20 seconds rest.