CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 07-20-2006, 06:17 PM   #1
Andy Shirley

Profile:
Well, my time in Hollywood is drawing to a close, as my contract ends here at UCLA on Aug 5th. I will most likely be moving on to Madison WI to work at the UW hospital there for a few(3-6) months.

Will be looking for a gym there. I tried to post on the older Madison thread, but it was closed. Is Monkey Bar Gym the way to go?

Will also be looking to play some rugby, or help out coaching, depending on my availability. Any thoughts?

I'm not sure where they'll be putting me up, I'll post more when I know it.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:28 PM   #2
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Hi Andy!

Welcome to one of the nicest places to live.

I strongly recommend the Monkey Bar Gym. If you want to get together for WODs or to chat let me know. I live in Madison.

Check in at the Memorial Union for events and possible rugby stuff.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:38 PM   #3
Peter Queen

Profile:
Hey Andy, good luck with your move to Madison. Like Kelly said, maybe some of us in the Madison area can get together for a workout session sometime. I just did a weekned workout session with Ryan Atkins of the Racine Crossfit Wisconsin facility. http://www.crossfitracine.com/.
Send him an email sometime so you can get on his newsletter mailing list. His sessions are pretty mobile around the area when he is not at his main facility.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:18 AM   #4
Andy Shirley

Profile:
I was checking out Monkey Bar's website..."No weights."? I don't know if I can give up the weights?(I'm kind of addicted)

Also, I don't really like "classes," and I'll be working 8&12 hour nights, so I might need a little more freedom than classes offer.

I still use CF as a supplement to my rugby training--ME black box + CF + Sport specific rugby training(when available). I haven't played at all out here, and I'm getting the itch to lay some wood.

I've also googled Madison's rugby team, looks like a D2 club, should be fun.

Kelly, I look forward to meeting you. I will try to prepare myself to be humbled by you.

Hopefully my company will come thru with more sweet housing. I am across the street from a 24HrFitness here in Hollywood(not great, but more than sufficient, I haven't been asked to leave yet). And when I was working in Baltimore, my apt was on top of a private 24 hr gym(non chain), a bar/rack, C2, dumbells(all I could ask for).

Hopefully I'll hear back from the hospital and get this thing set in stone so I can there and get started.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:24 AM   #5
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Andy,

While the MBG doesn't have traditional free weights, they do have a pile of kbs and many different medicine balls/D-balls. There are also many different length/diameter climbing ropes, rings, free swinging and regular pullup bars, parallettes and lots of other cool toys.

You don't have to take classes. You can buy a pass to play on your own with the equipment. Many of the classes tend to be very Crossfit-like except for the lack of traditional free weights. It's definitely worth the look and the great trainers and friendly, supportive atmosphere is worth it's weight in gold.

Since you will be based on campus and working for the university you can take out an inexpensive membership that includes use of the Shell, Natatorium and SERF. Lots of weights, C2 rowers, indoor tracks, pools, etc. I occasionally workout at the Shell across the street from where I work. http://www.wisc.edu/studentLife/recreation.php

There are a LOT of big chain gyms in Madison as well. Let me know if I can help.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:46 AM   #6
Peter Queen

Profile:
While the MBG doesn't have traditional free weights, they do have a pile of kbs and many different medicine balls/D-balls. There are also many different length/diameter climbing ropes, rings, free swinging and regular pullup bars, parallettes and lots of other cool toys.

No DBs...who cares! I have lots of DBs at home and at my fire department....this place sounds like heaven. It is definately more CF friendly than my local chain gym.:happy:

Kelly...we are definately going to have to talk.:talker:
Old 07-21-2006, 11:03 AM   #7
Tim Clavette

Profile:
Andy, welcome to Madison. We (I work at the Monkey Bar) trained the rugby team this off-season. Several of the players are members, but many just came in for the team sessions, so that is an option if you get involved with the team. Kelly's got it right, you don't have to take classes, most members do though.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:07 AM   #8
Karl Geissler

Profile:
Tim-

Does a guy by the name of Steve Myrland hang around Monkey Bar Gym?
Old 07-21-2006, 11:20 AM   #9
Tim Clavette

Profile:
I am pretty sure Steve has taken our certification and he's sharing ideas with Jon Hinds (the owner) every once in awhile.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:48 AM   #10
Karl Geissler

Profile:
IMO I would rank Steve up there with Greg Glassman as a coach and fitness philosopher. I do not run into Steve as much as I used to, but if he is ever hanging around your place-you should try to pick his brain. The guy is wickedly smart.