CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:43 PM   #1
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Coach B, Jeff Martone, Josh Everett: Battling Ropes Training

Just found some more excellent feedback about Battling Ropes, some of the top
athletes & coaches on the planet!
Here are a few words that describe John Brookfield’s Battling Ropes System:

"Humbling – because it will tax your entire system in short order (60 seconds or less) regardless if you’re a world-class athlete or a novice.
Relentless - like the ocean surf pounding big rocks into grains of sand.
Versatile – the gains of strength, stamina, and power are mind-blowing.
Simple & Safe – suitable for handicapped, sedentary, and elite athletes.
I highly recommend John Brookfield’s innovative and challenging Battling Ropes System, DVD and workshop."
Jeff Martone
Tactical Athlete Training Systems, Inc.

"I had the opportunity to experience the Battling Ropes system that John Brookfield has developed in developing sustaining power. I have to tell you that I experienced hard core training like never before. The core of my body was absolutely trashed after 60 seconds of the power surge that the ropes demand! I returned to Rancho Buena Vista high school and ordered four 50' ropes to put into my program. I am sure I will be ordering more in the near future."
Mike Burgener, CSCS
Senior International Olympic Weightlifting Coach
(Lift hard and heavy or go home to mommy!)"

"

When it comes to the Battling Ropes system, doing is believing! I watched the presentation and said to myself, "I see the grip work and the local muscular endurance." When I tried out the exercises, it blasted my core and my heart rate shot up as well! There was so much more to the workout than my eyes had led me to believe. Talk about functional ab work. This training is perfect for athletes looking for a way to train their abs in a standing position to maintain midline stabilization and balance while absorbing tremendous outside forces. The exercises you can do with the ropes are only limited by your imagination! I am really impressed with the variety of exercises Mr. Brookfield has developed using this system."
Josh Everett
Strength & Conditioning Coach, UC Riverside Athletics, Riverside, CA

Don't miss your chance to experience what these experts did!
Be at the Battling Ropes cert. on March 20-21
Old 02-10-2009, 09:58 AM   #2
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:
Re: Coach B, Jeff Martone, Josh Everett: Battling Ropes Training

I've done ropes gone wild-which is an Art of Strength technique similar to battling ropes. Ropework rocks, and functional too, especially if you're a Sailor
Old 02-10-2009, 10:12 AM   #3
James lee

Profile:

beside the specific programing of using this rope, is the rope used something different or can you do this with any kind of rope?
Old 02-15-2009, 01:55 PM   #4
Frank DiMeo

Profile:

Thanks for the positive feedback!
If you have specific questions on Battling Ropes training, equipment, etc. feel free to contact John Brookfield his website ws/fs is www.powerropes.com
He uses several different types and sizes of ropes.
Also, I got to train with Anthony Diluglio at a seminar in Orlando, FL about a week ago, and did some of his rope & KB drills.
I imagine other types of ropes could be used if they were heavy & long enough.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:34 PM   #5
George Mounce

Profile:

I'll pay devil's advocate.

This is not a great test for an athletes strength and power over a large spectrum. This is a test at how good you are at swinging a rope up and down. You can literally do this with only moving your arms (I watched the video of the creator doing the Tsunami thing).

The more efficient you are at the movement the better you get, go figure. Give a guy a month to play with ropes, he'll be good with ropes.

While I can see this as great as an extra movement I don't see how this is great as a primary movement or a total training system.

Don't get me wrong, I know its hard, I've done this kind of thing with a flat fire hose. But I'm not seeing how this is a be-all system.

Quote:
The Battling Ropes produce these incredible results, because they introduce you to two new elements. The first element will train your mind and body to maintain power over a greater period of time. This power is a combination of strength and explosiveness. This maintaining power will carry into any arena. Whether you are a swimmer, martial artist, runner or a football player, you will be able to perform at your highest level for a much longer time due to the Battling Ropes.
Bold part: I have a system for that, its called CrossFit. While I see some CrossFit names up there, believe me, they are good at a lot of things and probably haven't swung a rope around like that! So cool, I buy a new fun thing to do with your training.

See, I'm not buying the next part though. To be a better swimmer, you swim more efficiently and swim better. To be a better runner, you run better. To swing a rope better, you swing more rope better!
Old 02-15-2009, 03:09 PM   #6
Donald Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
I'll pay devil's advocate.

This is not a great test for an athletes strength and power over a large spectrum. This is a test at how good you are at swinging a rope up and down. You can literally do this with only moving your arms (I watched the video of the creator doing the Tsunami thing).

The more efficient you are at the movement the better you get, go figure. Give a guy a month to play with ropes, he'll be good with ropes.

While I can see this as great as an extra movement I don't see how this is great as a primary movement or a total training system.

Don't get me wrong, I know its hard, I've done this kind of thing with a flat fire hose. But I'm not seeing how this is a be-all system.

Bold part: I have a system for that, its called CrossFit. While I see some CrossFit names up there, believe me, they are good at a lot of things and probably haven't swung a rope around like that! So cool, I buy a new fun thing to do with your training.

See, I'm not buying the next part though. To be a better swimmer, you swim more efficiently and swim better. To be a better runner, you run better. To swing a rope better, you swing more rope better!
I think the whole specificity of sports training has been talked to death, George. CrossFit has endurance certs, barbell certs, etc. Why can't John Brookfield have a Battling Ropes cert? Are people who are interested in Battling Ropes supposed to only be good at battling ropes?

“Work capacity refers to the general ability of the body as a machine to produce work of different intensity and duration using the appropriate energy systems of the body” (Siff, 2003).

Battling ropes is just another tool to develop power and work capacity.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:12 PM   #7
David Long

Profile:

I have had similar concerns. I know there is something to adaptation, KB swings and pull ups are always hard, but not the way they were when I first started. I want to hear from people who have been using the ropes for 6+ months. Not knocking them at all, just holding back from getting them.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:33 PM   #8
George Mounce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
I think the whole specificity of sports training has been talked to death, George. CrossFit has endurance certs, barbell certs, etc. Why can't John Brookfield have a Battling Ropes cert? Are people who are interested in Battling Ropes supposed to only be good at battling ropes?

“Work capacity refers to the general ability of the body as a machine to produce work of different intensity and duration using the appropriate energy systems of the body” (Siff, 2003).

Battling ropes is just another tool to develop power and work capacity.
Another tool, I agree. But that is not what their website says. It says its a full program.

First line:

Quote:
The Battling Ropes System is a complete strength and conditioning program like no other.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:47 PM   #9
Frank DiMeo

Profile:

I'm sure John would be glad to answer questions if you contact him.
I appreciate the feedback from all of you, that what makes CF a great community!
Old 02-15-2009, 08:18 PM   #10
Barry Cooper

Profile:

John is a bright guy. I've recommended his Mastering Hand Strength several times.

What this reminds me of is the Pilates 100, where you basically do a static leg lift, but pump your arms up and down, and L-pullups. In both cases you are combining what amounts to a static contraction of your abs, with constant motion. Obviously, you can move the ropes side to side, up and down, and at every number on the clock dial.

This looks like sound training to me. With those three endorsements, clearly he has a good idea here. At the same time, this is like the old kettlebell versus dumbell debate. All of these things have their place. They are tools, nothing more, nothing less.

This seems to me to bear roughly the same relation to CrossFit that burpees do. Burpees are a great movement, but if we never did them, we could still get plenty fit. Perhaps an even better comparison is with sled dragging. Sleds are never seen on the Main Page, and not often on affiliate blogs, that I've seen. Of course, there are a LOT of them now. This doesn't mean sleds aren't functional or useful. Clearly they are.

Think this through. Let's say that this is in fact the perfect exercise, even though John has a potbelly. Would anyone want to do this daily for the next, uh, forever? Weekly?

We all have our ab exercises we like. This sounds like an excellent one. At some point, I may well make this investment myself, albeit likely after I get a sandbag. But just keep in mind that even though John has credibility, he's still selling something. This is quite clearly not the be-all and end-all.