CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 06-01-2014, 07:44 AM   #1
Eric R. Schmidt

Profile:
OH work w/shoulder mobility issues

OK, I'll try here...

Overhead work w/shoulder restriction.
I started work as a coach with a new box yesterday. Trainee A has extremely limited shoulder mobility. Post op >1yr. Can't get into proper position/alignment for OH squat- no symmetrical bilateral overhead extension. Coach running the class has him do the movement anyway, albeit with an empty bar. AFU. Inadequate stabilization up top just runs downstream, all the way to his feet. I'm thinking not a good idea...Trainee's shoulder exhibits what ATB adhesions, scar tissue, adhesive capsulitis, etc
Says doc told him it's arthritic (of course)

I'm thinking that he should rehab/remove restrictions (IASTM?) and gain full, symmetrical movement within limits b4 doing OH squats, no? Thoughts?
I'd like to fly this by KStar & Co, see what they think. Thanks all.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:01 PM   #2
Sean Rockett

Profile:
Re: OH work w/shoulder mobility issues

If he does have arthritis then there can be a mechanical reason for his loss of motion i.e. the bones are preventing his glenohumeral joint from moving in a normal range. It's not always a soft tissue thing that prevents motion.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:48 AM   #3
Eric R. Schmidt

Profile:

That's great Sean, but should the man be doing overhead squats that are all jacked up? That's the question. Because it doesn't seem like a good thing to me
Old 06-03-2014, 06:13 PM   #4
Sean Rockett

Profile:

You stated he was using a bar, not all jacked up. Yes I think he should have full mobility but if he can't get there due to mechanical reasons, he can still fight for it with dowel or light bar.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:44 AM   #5
Eric R. Schmidt

Profile:

Sean, what part of AFU did you not understand? A seven-foot, forty-five pound Olympic bar is too much. And doctors (and orthopedists) don't make money off healthy people, so just let the man exercise, right?! You can't teach common sense.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:46 AM   #6
Curt Garner

Profile:

Eric,

If you think it's simply a matter of common sense, why ask the question?

Last edited by Curt Garner; 06-04-2014 at 11:05 AM..
Old 06-04-2014, 11:04 AM   #7
Curt Garner

Profile:

***deleted
Old 06-04-2014, 08:20 PM   #8
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric R. Schmidt View Post
Sean, what part of AFU did you not understand? A seven-foot, forty-five pound Olympic bar is too much. And doctors (and orthopedists) don't make money off healthy people, so just let the man exercise, right?! You can't teach common sense.
You are right Eric, you can't teach common sense, but I do try to prevent people from getting hurt. And you are right, I don't make money off healthy people, I donate it to others….

(From my Facebook page)
Those in New England check out Crossfit injury prevention seminars given by Dr. Rockett. $20 Donation to Wounded Warriors.

I will be donating all of the money received from my injury prevention seminar at Crossfit New England this Sunday at 11 to Kevin Ogar, so please come, learn, and help.

$1500 given to American Red Cross for Typhoon relief. Thank you everyone and hopefully you learned something at the Injury Prevention Seminars. Charles River Crossfit, Crossfit Southie, Crossfit Synergistics and Crossfit New Bedford nice job.

Happy to report that we were able to send in another $400 to the Ogar Strong Fund to help pay for Kevin's medical expenses. Money was collected at the recent "Thinking Inside the Box: An injury prevention seminar." If you know a box that could use this one hour seminar, contact Ronda at rockettronda@comcast.net to set one up.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:28 AM   #9
Eric R. Schmidt

Profile:

Sean, good on ya, keep donating.

A trainee with shoulder flexion well short of 180˚ attempts to do OH squats, with a 45# bar!..out of the gate his form is shot...what are the trainee's alternatives? If the trainee cannot obtain/maintain perfect form for the exercise required, I would think it should be omitted from his program; "fighting for it" is useless if the MOI is connective tissue structural in nature, i.e. glenohumeral obstruction/dysfunction repair resulting in shortening of tendons, ligamentous tissue, no?
Kettlebells are remarkably useful in shoulder issues, dumbbells OK, one-arm stuff...where else do we take this?
Old 06-11-2014, 10:27 PM   #10
Collin Thompson

Profile:

You cut the OH work becauase they are incapable of doing it properly - it isn't that complicated. Meanwhile you get your client into a PT office or on a rehab program because they either a) didn't properly rehab the first time or b) are eternally ****ed in terms of OH work.

In terms of where to go next, have him try and work his triceps and shoulders in ways that don't hurt and can achieve full ROM. How are push ups and ring dips? You haven't given much info other than "my client has terrible flexibility and is post op a shoulder injury. What do I do?"